New Old West 1911 Gunleather ~pics~ How do you carry?

rockinbbar

Kind of a new twist in an old platform with Western gunleather.
cool.gif

Gunbelt.jpg

Holster.jpg

Had a saddle maker upgrade me for my 1911 Colt with an older gunbelt that I had. Same pattern, but fits better and is fully carved with oakleaves and acorns.

Really a comfortable gun rig to hunt in under my ghillie...I can push the pistol back far enough to the small of my back so that when I carry my rifle to the stand, it's not bumping the scope on my .45.
thumbup1.gif

I do get the chance to take a coyote now and then with my .45 Colt, so it'll come in handy. More often, I will carry a round or two in the magazine that has snakeshot for those close encounters, or while working cattle, and riding several sections of land, just to be armed in case something comes up. (You never know in the Border Country, what might arise at a moments notice.)
blink.gif
wink.gif

Here's the view here lately...

Ballo.jpg

New Mexico is an open carry state, so pistols can be carried openly in public without a CCW permit. I like to excercise the right to carry as much as possible. If you don't use it, you may lose it.

I know a lot of you carry while hunting, working or whatever...

How many of you carry with a holster only? Or, do you use a gunbelt for carrying when you can?

Thanks for looking and responding. Just curious as to what and HOW you carry.

Barry

Barry,
I'm not sure I understand the question. I always have a dedicated gunbelt on when I'm packing. By that I mean a belt designed to actually pack a heavy handgun, not a jeans belt pressed into service occasionally. If you mean do I pack on a second rig like you have shown, the answer is no. Usually when wearing leather my last two gunbelts are horsehide from The Beltman and they have been excellent in every regard. Most often when I'm in the outdoors it is a Wilderness Instructors Belt Five Stitch that I cinch up. Though often overlooked the belt is just as important as the holster in properly packing a pistola.

BTW, what's keeping that Commander in the rig if you throw a wreck?

I carrie my 1911 in a Hi-ride Pancake. I know what you mean on bumping your scope. I have thought about getting one like yours but in Cocked&locked I would be afraid of it falling out. I thought about a Tankers shoulder holster.

I dont carry very often because 80% of the time im out of the house, im on campus... When I do, its a crossbreed supertuck with a 511 casual gun belt.

It never fails to amaze me how man New Mexicans dont realize that we are an open carry state. I cant count the number of times ive overheard "she we call the cops on him" or something similar...

Nice set-up and looks like some great leather work!

The fit of the holser is what keeps the gun in place. Even when things get "western", the only way it's coming out is to be drawn straight upward. I can turn the holster upside down and gavity won't even let it fall out. It was my second holster like that, and even the old one fits so precise that it's secure.

Gary, it a full length 1911, and not a Commander, so the added length to the fit helps too.
I was wondering what type rig you shoot with, or hunt with.

Wallbass...the scope banging thing brives me nuts when carrying with a thumb-break like this one.

colt1911.jpg

My old gunleather was still good, but the belt was not fitting like it did 20 years ago, for some reason...
lol.gif

acpgl.jpg

That is some beautiful leather work you got there! I'm in awe. I have a Blackhawk Serpa holster that i carry....i know it's not coming out of there on accident..............EVER! haha

IMG_1790.jpg

The colt ossifer model(second from left) and the 2 RI's have disappeared. The taurus and springfield are still around. Along with the 2 spingers I got last year. An EMP 40 and a lightweieght full-size to match her....

IMG_2279.jpg

Barry, the view here has recently been the head & neck of a little palomino, what wood are the grips on your 45 made of ? Who made your holster, if you don't mind saying ?
Mark

Originally Posted By: mark shubertBarry, the view here has recently been the head & neck of a little palomino, what wood are the grips on your 45 made of ? Who made your holster, if you don't mind saying ?
Mark

Alan Townley that owns Sunset Saddles. 575-378-1026. He's in Ruidoso Downs...Good guy. Mark, I'm not sure who made the grips. I got them at a gunshow around Austin a dozen years ago or more. He had a huge table of grips that he'd made for every type of handgun you could imagine. I think he would be the one that knows the laminate mixture too. Oak & mahogany for sure.

Thanks, Barry
Mark
PS Just noticed your inquiry - I carry a Bowen-tuned Blackhawk 45 in a Threepersons rig, from EP Saddlery, whenever I'm out of the city limits. Also with a snakeshot up first, at least in warm weather.
M

Last edited:
Conceal carry in my front pants pocket. Bond Arms 45 LC - 410

I used to lug around my .45 in a Mikes holster in the small of my back, great for walking around not so great sitting. Due to the aggrivation I didn't carry more than I did, until I bought the Bond Arms and now its just habit.

When in the sticks I usually carry a Ruger SA .44 mag in a tanker chest holster.

Very cool rig for your 1911, I love the style.

Originally Posted By: OmnivoreConceal carry in my front pants pocket. Bond Arms 45 LC - 410

I used to lug around my .45 in a Mikes holster in the small of my back, great for walking around not so great sitting. Due to the aggrivation I didn't carry more than I did, until I bought the Bond Arms and now its just habit.

When in the sticks I usually carry a Ruger SA .44 mag in a tanker chest holster.

Very cool rig for your 1911, I love the style. Where did you get your "Tanker Chest Holster"???

Originally Posted By: Wallbass45Originally Posted By: OmnivoreConceal carry in my front pants pocket. Bond Arms 45 LC - 410

Very cool rig for your 1911, I love the style. Where did you get your "Tanker Chest Holster"???

Check out "Simply Rugged" or "El Paso Saddlery" for two top notch leather tanker style holsters.

Back