d soctober klondyke hunt storyn

jlutcher51

Well ill start it off with saying thank you to red ( AZRedneckRabbit ) for inviting me out to hunt with him this started out as me flying out to hunt with him and just kind of evolved into a GTG hunt for any who wanted to show up.

DAY ONE started early for me 12 A.M. eastern time getting up making sure I had all my stuff and getting ready to leave and get to the airport for my first plane ride. On the way I realized I forgot my pillow after a couple words that I can't post I got over it and continued the drive to the airport. Got on the plane and was on my way. Flying was pretty fun and I had a window seat so that made it even better.
arizona010.jpg

We were flying over phoenix getting ready to land and I noticed a raindow and snapped some pics.
arizona016.jpg

arizona022.jpg

Well after getting my bags and calling red I sat and waited for him and his friend james to get there. They picked me up at the airport and the laughter and adventure began. Me and red had been talking so much on the phone and through private message it was like any other day just in a diferent state and face to face. Well it was a 3 1/2 hour+ drive there so we spent the time shooting the breeze and jamming out to everything from country to rock to rap and anything in between. We got to klondyke Rd. And started putting signs up along the way so everyone could find us. We lucked out and got within 1/8 mile of our desired location. We started unpacking the trailer and stared attempting to set up tents in 20 mph winds this was no easy task. While setting up tents red soon realized he didn't have the fly for his tent so after some of what I can only call a presidential solution he came up with this.
arizona032.jpg

We then finished setting tables and started a fire and i was just ready to hit the hay when brian ( JCFD) and his son hunter showde up with their fifth wheel camper. Well after watching hunter who is 16 back the truck and large camper into place we sat down and talked till around 11 and it was time for me to hit the hay. I had been up for 26 hours and 430 am was going to come quick.

DAY TWO starts with red shaking my tent at 430 saying time to get up so I got dressed and stumbled out of the tent freezing. Yes it gets cold in arizona who'da thunk it? But we huddled around the fire for a little while. James cooked me and him some eggs and we were off. We were a little later leaving camp than we wanted to be so our first stand was just a little ways up the road. It and the next 2 or 3 stands were duds. The 4th or 5th stand red suggested we go to were he had called dogs the previous trip. So we made a move and it worked on our way into the stand red caught movement to our left so we set up quick and red started calling. I can't remember what calls he used but I remember it was a closed reed cottontail call that got the nice male to come in around 10 minutes into calling all the action was blocked by a bush for me all I knew was I hear WOOF WOOF! OWWWWWWWW!! BANG!. Some quick kiyis and a short series of distress and we couldn't take it anymore so we got up and went to look at the dog. Red had bang flopped this dog at 15 yards max. Hi fives fist bumps and multiple smiles later the three of us walk out of the brush with our trophy.
arizona042.jpg

arizona043.jpg

Up the road we went going after another we traveled a little ways up the road and stopped at a spot similar to the one we had just left and walked in and got setup. We were alternating calling on stands and it was my turn I put in my favorite diaphragm from torry ( cookstaxi ) and started calling.the grass was kind of tall aand made it hard for me to see but at around 3 or 4 minutes into calling and pauseing I see out of the corner of my eye james slowly raising his shotgun I look out and see ears and that's it. I wait a couple of seconds the dog got a little closer but still no shot at a max of 25 yards infront of james I'm wondering why he hasn't shot. He was sitting to my left at the next bush and I soon notice there was a bush in between him and the coyote. She starts acting funny and I can tell she is getting ready to trot off so I lip squeak and here she comes. Get to around 15 or 20 yards and I SHOOT HER IN THE FACE!! ( sorry for the inside joke you really had to be there to understand) she puts her face in the dirt and trys to push herself with her hind legs. I got to my feet and put some more #4 buck in her to finish the job. FIRST dog west of the mississippi down woo hoo. Lots of hi fives this time and I carry my dog out.
arizona044.jpg

arizona046.jpg

Back to back stands with dogs down we were pumped
arizona049.jpg

arizona050.jpg

Well it started to rain two stands later and we headed to camp for some lunch. We left the rain behind us we got there and randy and jon for another forum had made it in and we shook hands and talked for a while then the rain found us and boy did it rain while huddled up under some easy ups matt (AzVTR) and a friend of his ariel showed up and joined us under the dry tents till the rain left. The started setting up their tent and unloading there truck and we all chatted for a little while then we were all off to do some calling before dark. Red, James, and I. Headed out and didn't call anything. We got back to camp and don't shoot me in the foot if I'm wrong but I believe hunter jon randy and brian had killed two coyotes and matt and ariel had killed one. Five dogs after the first day not bad. Some time telling stories a couple beers and some food and fire time and it was time for bed.

DAY THREE FRIDAY was the official full moon
thumbdown.gif
not idea for hunting but we all woke up early and went our seperate ways brian, hunter, jon, and randy headed north. Me, Red, and James headed south as did matt and ariel. The three of us called our hind parts off and we headed back to camp for lunch empty handed. We get to camp and see that brian and his group had taken 2 foxes Hunter and Randys first foxes ever! I forgot to say Hunter had killed his first coyote on day two! This was great to see this 16 year old smiling around camp after killing his first two predators in two days. Marty ( echo19) showed up to camp while we were cooking lunch and hung out for a while. He had gotten in the area at some point that morning tried calling near camp got busted by some gray foxes and left his range finder on stand all before lunch. Well after lunch we headed out again. Red james and I went calling south of camp and called a couple of stands and stopped back by camp on our way north and got Reds shotgun that he had left when we headed out after lunch. We got there and noticed a bottle of jack and a note from marty he had mentioned earlier he didn't know how long he could stay due to a migrane and his wifes birthday the following day. Well we read the note and as we were leaving matt and ariel pulled up and had a case of beer for the three of us ( we underestimated how much we needed) and it was an hour ride to any store very cool of them. Oh yea and they had another coyote in the truck. They had so far gotten ariels first coyote and matts 3rd or 4th. We got back on our way and never called anything well almost. We set up on one stand near a water hole for the ranchers cattle and me Red and the foxpro called for about 20 minutes and didn't see anything. We all stood up and heard james say a BAD word. He said he had seen something run straight away from him out of a bush 20 yards infront of him. After much questioning from me and Red he was possitive it was a bobcat. Darn it!! This was the first cat red knows he has called in and could have been James' first predator down. We get back to camp after dark and start hanging out around the fire with the guys no one had anyluck that afternoon. Two more guys Zac and andy showed up around 9 and set up camp and hung out around the fire telling stories. A friend of brian and hunter showed up as well. Tally after day three is 6 dogs and 3 grays.

DAY FOUR we wake up a little later due to some after dark beverage consumtion but woke up to the sound of zacs truck leaving. We crawled out of the tents and fifth wheel and got our stuff around and went out for another day of calling only to be defeated. The three of use and brians group got skunked but zac and andy managed to get two foxes. Great!! Every group saw and killed something. This is were the story gets crazy well its the last night for most of us with the exception of randy and jon leaving earlier that afternoon and Zac and Andy are staying till Monday morning. Well we are all hanging out by the fire twlling storys drinking and eating. Red and James decide to take a walk looking for snakes on the road well whill gone brian and some of the others decided to load the AR's and give the night a bang. Well 100 or so rounds later red and james return looking like they made a mess in their pants. NOTE all round were shot at the base of a hill in a safe direction not in the direction to harm anyone. About an hour rolls by and we see headlights and all thinking here comes the law. Well it wasn't the law but was the neighbors. They got out of the truck and walked up asking if we were the ones who had shot. Camp went silent for a few seconds that seamed like an forever. Brian stepped up and talked to the man and his wife ( Rich and Karen). The were just conserned making sure we were not shooting towards there house and wanted to see what we were up to. After talking for a while they decided to go home get richs drink and guitar and come back and hangout. They return and rich has a cup the size of a mini keg full of rum and coke and his guitar. We talk some more and they tell us the land we are camped on is private property even though its not posted and not fenced in. The also explain that they have a spot on the property that is open and we are more than welcome to use it as our camp site next year if we would like SCORE!! Well rich plays us some songs for an hour or more and they head back home. This guy is great on a guitar rich kelley is his name and I believe he has a website for his music. AnywaysMe Red and James find ourselves getting in our tents around 4 in the morning acting like little school girl at a sleep over we would tell a joke or say something stupid and the three of us would laugh for ten minutes about it. It was pretty bad.

DAY FIVE I find myself sweating in the tent with the sun beating down on my tent I get out and discover its only 730. I sit by the fire and wait for the rest to emerge out of the tents and camper. Zac and andy had already left to go calling. I was soon met by brian by the fire and the rest slowly started to appear. We all collected ourselves drank water and asprin and started breaking camp down. We said our good byes and off to phoenix we went. I caught a nap on the way and woke up somewhere near Miami ( Arizona not florida). We made it into pheonix parked the trailer at james' house he took me and red to reds house so we could get showers and hangout before going to dinner and dropping me off at the airport.

Here are some pics from the area we were in
arizona034.jpg

arizona039.jpg

arizona057.jpg

arizona070.jpg

arizona060.jpg

Final count 6 coyotes 5 grays
arizona088.jpg

And I almost forgot on they way to a spot a rancher told us was holding a lot. Of coyotes we came across this desert tortouse on the edge of the road.
arizona084.jpg

arizona081.jpg

arizona078.jpg

arizona083.jpg

Thanks to all the great guys who showed up to this hunt I had a great time for my first trip to arizona and I won't soon forget it.

The amp horn and diaphragms will be given to Matt ( AzVTR) for taking a newbie hunting and getting his first coyote and going out of his way to help others with anything. No hard fellings guys it was a hard decision and I wish I could afford to give you all one but I can't you were great people and I can't wait to hunt with y'all again in the future.

Thanks for posting the picture of the tent bud. Real nice. There was definitely no shortage of laughs on this trip. The call I used was my trusty Dan Thompson. That thing is a dog calling machine. Sure had that female worked up with them diaphragms though didn't we? Can't wait til next year.

Yea I forgot to add that part about 2 am Sunday while we were still up we had a female coyote start doing challenge howls a ways off from camp. Well me and red grabbed our howler diaphragms and started challenging back to her this went on for 10 minutes or so. She kept getting closer and closer until she must have seen our fire or something cause she finally shut up for good but it was a cool experience and a learned a lot just in those few minutes about coyote vocals

Congratulations to all, & great story Josh. Glad the diaphragms worked for you. Just wish you & Red could have added the one ya'll had the cussing match with to the pile.

Back