Hammer Block Safety on Marlin 336

cathntr

I read somewhere that the newer Marlin lever actions have a hammerblock safety. Is this just another way of saying half cock safety or do they actually have something similar to a crossbolt or tang safety? I was thinking about buying one in .30-30 for the wife to deer hunt with but we decided that it would be best to stay away from the half cock safeties as she has never used one before and dont feel comfortable doing it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Josh

New ones have a crossbolt safety. I don't care for them, but for an inexperienced shooter it might have some merit for that hammer back & loading/unloading cycle. There is a little do-dad that you can easily change out for that crossbolt and it just looks like another screw head in the receiver. It is inexpensive and easy to do if you really wanted to go that route.

The newer Marlins have both the cross bolt safety and the half cock, You can use one or the other or both.
You can use the thing that looks like a replacemnt screw also knownas a Ludwig screw, the rubber o ring, or remove the stock and there is a set screw that can be tightened down on the cross bolt preventing it from moving.

The Ludwig screw is available here

Kits are available from:

Clyde Ludwig
PO Box 26156
Wauwatosa, WI
53226-0156

phone 414-536-1101 after 6:30 PM CST

$9.95 plus $3.00 S&H
(if you order more than one kit, the shipping is still only $3.00)

Last edited:
I think that Marlin changed to the cross bolt safety in 1983, I don't mind the cross bolt safety on my 1990 model 336CS It still has the half cock safety also. I have a 1949 vintage 336RC that just has the half-cock safety, never had any problems with either of these guns

Back