Which scope magnification 2x8 or 3x12?

tpafire5

I know which scope I am getting for my r700 .223 but which mag. should I get. It is between either 2x8x32 or 3x12x42. I have never been coyote hunting yet, so I can not decide on experience. Any info would help. thanks.
Mike

Some dogs will be on you before you know it, up close and personal, I like the large field of view for finding them quicker. check the field of view on your choice;s. ed

How much weight and bulk do you want to pack? Personally, I'd pick the 2x8x32 for a walking/calling rig.

The 2x is much easier to use with both eyes open.... I have both, the 2-7x and a 3-12x...and for close range (40 yards) or a moving target the 2x is much easier to use..

for just predator hunting get the lower power. I have a .223 with a 1.5-5x20 and it is enough to take a coyote to 300 atleast. Off shooting sticks leaning against my truck its enough mag for moa groups. Shooting with both eyes open on moving targets is awesome.

2-8 is plenty for dogs.

Only get the 3-12x if you want a little compromise on dogs but more power for targets or prarie dogs. I don't think its worth it.

I had a 3-12 on my calling gun for a few seasons it never left 3x and often I wished it went lower.

On a calling rifle FOV is what counts and you get that with lower power. I use a 1-4X and wish there was something of lower power. If somebody made a 1/2-2X I would buy it in a second.
I never missed a shot because of not enough power but have missed a bunch because of too much power.

Jack

I have a 2-7 on my calling rifle this year after taking off a 4-12. Both dogs this year have been runners couldn't be more happy with the switch shot the last at 220 yds still on 2x and didn't feel at a disadvantge on the low power setting.

This thread is kinda like asking if you like blonds or red heads...to each his own.

I used leupold 3.5-10's for many years, rarely put them on 3x.

I owned 1.5-5, 2-7, and 2-8, they lasted a season...they were gone.

I went to the Burris 3-12, leupold 4-12, and leupold 4-14's, never looked back.

We hunted Mexico for 12 years, Az, Ca., Nv, and other Western states. In close cover, I used a shotgun a lot.

A lot of what power scope you like to use depends on your hand and eye coordination and how fast you can pick up a moving object in your scope...everyone is different. New guys always have better luck with lowered powered scopes. I noticed over the years that guys that have shot in various shot gun leagues have developed great hand and eye coordination, I noticed that these guys do better with with higher powered optics.

My yote rifles are also crow rifles, jackrabbit rifles, chuck rifles, etc. I have shot a lot of crows in the range of 250-350 yards. When you are shooting a low powered scope, the crow can be no larger than the intersection of the cross hairs...not a good thing on smaller targets.

No doubt that the bushnell 6500 in 2-16 would be top of the line yote/varmint optics.

There really is no right or wrong, you just have to find out what fits your particular way of hunting.

My choice would be the 3-12. Simply for the 42mm objective lens. It's gonna let in more light for those real early morning/late evening opportunities. I've shot either 4-16x or 4-12x scopes for coyotes for years and have never had a problem with 4x being to much. But!! I do hunt open country areas and rarely hunt heavily forested areas. I've never had a problem finding a coyote, squirrel, rabbit or other critter at 20yds either. But I've shot scoped rifles since I was a wee lad and have had lots of practice.

Back