I need pelt friendly ammo for 223 for fox

avidhunter

Hello. I will be going out this Monday for fox for the first time. I will be taking a CZ 527 american in .223. I currently have a box of 40 grain v max. I would like to shoot something more "pelt friendly". What do you recommend? I will be buying factory loaded ammo. No hand loads.

My recommendation would be to go to a heavier constructed projectile, something that won't expand or fragment so violently. I think something in the 55gr+ SP's would probably suffice. You will most likely see caliber size entry and dime size exits unless you hit bone.

Chupa

To be honest man, I don't recommend a rimfire for anything other than tree rats or johnny cottontail unless it's being dispatched from a trap. Most people don't have the patience or the will power to stay within it's range limitations for it to be reliabely effective. You'll just have to pass on too many opportunities. I can only speak for myself, but opportunities for me are not to be wasted, so I try to cut down my limitations as much as possible and use a little more horse power.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: Chupathingy To be honest man, I don't recommend a rimfire for anything other than tree rats or johnny cottontail unless it's being dispatched from a trap. Most people don't have the patience or the will power to stay within it's range limitations for it to be reliabely effective. You'll just have to pass on too many opportunities. I can only speak for myself, but opportunities for me are not to be wasted, so I try to cut down my limitations as much as possible and use a little more horse power.

Chupa
Ok. I will just stick with the .223. I can try some winchester 55 gr psp. Do you think they will do less damage then the 40 grain v max? the 40 gr v max is 3800 fps at the muzzle and the winchester 55 gr psp are around 3300 fps.

thank you for the help chupa
thumbup1.gif

My gun is sighted in for the 40 grain v max. If I do not hit bone with it, will it still do more damage then the 55 gr psp? just wondering as the season started today and I would like to get this gun ready for monday.

A fox is a very thin skinned "little critter" and the 40gr V-max was designed to blow "little critters" into little pieces. Granted that a fox is slightly larger than say a prairie dog, but the 40gr v-max all but vaporizes prairie dogs. So...yeah it will.

Chupa

Try the search function. There have been several threads this month on this very same topic.

Last year I shot 3 foxes with the 223 40gr Vmax. A neck shot nearly decapitated one fox. Yes that's where I was aiming. The other two vitals shots looked like what happens when you stomp on a banana... The peel splits open and the insides spill out. Same thing happened with the foxes, not explosions or splash wounds, but the force split the hides open from the inside and ruined them, just like a squashed banana.

There's not much to a fox, I think the 17hmr is perfect for them, my longest shot last year was 155 yards DRT instant kill.

I plan on trying a 223 69gr Sierra Match King this year to see how it does. I think a non expanding or more solid bullet will do less damage than a Vmax type varmint bullet if you want to save pelts.

I called in 39 foxes last year, some came in really close early in the season and hung around. Those could have eadily been taken with a 22lr. But the majority would have been very difficult shots with a 22lr and tracking a runner would be nearly impossible in the brushy areas they like. For me it's DRT or nothing.

The best one for me before we lost our fox to mange 19 or so yrs ago, the Sierra fmjbt, only bad if you hit a bone. ear to ear, neck or rib to rib only a pencil hole.
If you are at less than 125 yds, the .22 magnum in bolt action will be best for fur damage, kills good also.

Last edited:
I think FMJs are your best bet for fur friendly on foxes out of a .223. I usually use a .22 or .17HMR on foxes, but most of my hunting is done at night and I only shoot as far as i can see clearly.....usually about 100yrds and in.

I agree that going to a FMJ on fox will do the least pelt damage, I shot a trotting coyote with one right behind the rib cage and never recovered it. V-Max for coyote, FMJ for fox using .223

Thank you all for your help. I will just keep this box of 40 grain v max for groundhog and crows. I am going to pick up a box of winchester sp 55gr for fox. This will be my first time going fox hunting. Hope I shoot something!

I realize that you don't reload. I have always thought it would be interesting to take a 60g Nosler Partition and reduce the load to minimum levels and see what it would do. The partition is pretty sturdy.

Originally Posted By: gonzagaI have the CZ Varmint rifle, and I use the 45 JHP from winchester, never had a problem with pelt damage.

No damage on fox ? How many have you shot ?
thanks

Originally Posted By: gonzagaI have the CZ Varmint rifle, and I use the 45 JHP from winchester, never had a problem with pelt damage. No damage?

Back