My Big Predator hunt

WSMBUCK

Well as some of you know i have been gone for a few days to NC on a Black Bear hunt, needless to say i had a blast.
Here is a short story of my hunt.

Made it to NC sunday evening and temps were in the mid 40's and after a 11 1/2 hr drive the cool air was very welcome, so i made it to the store where i was suppose to meet the guide and after a few mins he showed up and we did a little talking and off to the camp we went , another 30 min drive. He had 2 other guys staying in camp with us that had dogs as well as him so between me and those 3 along with a camp cook it was 5 of us in camp.WE all did the meet and greet thing and got to finishing up setting camp up.
couple pictures of the camp and our water supply right next to camp.
IMG_4345.jpg

IMG_4365.jpg

IMG_4362.jpg

IMG_4368.jpg

So we had a great supper and talked about the plan the next morning, myself and the 3 other guys were going to lead 3 dogs a piece into the bottom of the mountain up the Appalachian Trail , and he had some other guys coming from the top of another mountain leading dogs in from there.
We left the truck at 630 am for our walk up the trail and it wasnt long before the guys on top had stuck a trail and turned the dogs out on it , so the chase was on but we couldnt here it yet , we were keeping in contact with 2 way radios, it wasnt long and they had it treed and we got to where we could hear them treed and turnd our dogs loose to go help. And as soon as ours made it there the Bear came down and ran another 1/4 mile or so straight up the mountain and they had him treed again.
Now here is where the fun starts we were still a long long ways aways from them and there were others closer but they wanted me to kill my first so off we went, at 730 am up and down ,up and down mountains, there were a few of them where we were climbing up and i had my hand no further then a foot in front of my face it was very hard climbing to say the least, the last 2 mountains were so steap that we would have to pull our sleves up by trees and bushes and make it to a big tree and get behind it for a break.
I was getting cramps and cut in places i didnt know i had LOL but after 8 hrs of walking and climbing we were finailly above the Bear and in postion for a shot, Boom flob here he comes out the tree hits the ground rolling with 16 dogs fighting and rolling with him down the mountain,
The yrouger guy with us took off trying to catch up with them and start tieing dogs up, me and another guy start slipping down the mountain trying to catch up with all the dogs and Bear rolling down the mountain, and come up to where he hit the groud and you couldnt have cleared the side of that mountain out any better with a D8 dozer they knocked over trees and up rooted stumps and everything else in there way for about 400 yards down the mountain.
We were getting close to the bottom of the mountain and both us caught cramps in out legs and stoped to try and work them out , and while doing so i happen to look over the guys shoudler and there stood a bear 50 ft up a tree , i asked the guy was that mine and about the time he opened his mouth the Bear started shaking his head and Blood was going everywhere , and my question was answered for me,

Boom flob here he comes out again and the rolling started again another 200 yds or so , it finailly came to a stop in a thicket 10 ft from a 60 ft water fall and we all made it down there and started tieing dogs up, and had to push the Bear the last 10 ft into the waterfall and finailly got all the dogs tied up.
By this time it was 245 or so and we pulled out the GPS to see just where we were at to let the others know where to come help and to see just how far we had went, 11.6 miles from when we left the truck to where we had him on the ground, MAYBE 1/2 a mile of it was flat ground, and we found a rd that was 2.7 miles from us and made the call on the radio letting them know we had the bear and where to come in from and after another 2 hrs we had help falling off the mountain from everywhere, Those guys were more happier for me then i was and they took turns 2 at a time draging and around 7pm that evening we finailly hit the rd. So between the hike to him and the drag out we went 14.3 miles that day. To say i was wore out is a understatmeant.
And after a few pictures and letting the other dogs get a smell and bite we were off to camp to gut him and supper.
IMG_4344.jpg

Made it to camp, got us some well needed supper and something to drink beside creek water. Which i bet i drank 5 gallons of that day. LOL
The wildlife biologist showed up and we got his tooth pulled and weight it and check in and i had my first Bear and a well deserved one i think.
He weighted in at 250 and i will know next year of his age, he had a real long body and big feet , i was told the bear over there that stay high in those mountains where all the rocks are dont get as fat as the ones living in the valleys where the creeks and acorn trees are everywhere,so i had a nice size Bear for where he came from and i was very happy with it.
Here are a few more pictures of him.

IMG_4347.jpg
IMG_4380.jpg

IMG_4352.jpg
IMG_4381.jpg

IMG_4376.jpg
url]

url]

man thats awesome !! great story and what awesome pics . the wife wants to know where in NC did you go she is from the mtns of NC . plus if i had known you would be that close would have met up with ya somewhere .

Originally Posted By: sonofdsouth72man thats awesome !! great story and what awesome pics . the wife wants to know where in NC did you go she is from the mtns of NC . plus if i had known you would be that close would have met up with ya somewhere .

We were about 20 miles from Hotsprings NC

Originally Posted By: hillbilly1Great story and pics! You look wore out in that next to last pic, lol!!

Man i thought pretty hard about shooting myself in the head the last 2 mountains, LOL
I have never walked up and down mountains like that and been so tried in my life. I was hurting BIG TIME .
Sit at the camp the next day eatting bannanas for cramps and haven ALOT of adult drinks.

Last edited:
What a good story and photo`s, I was thinking like what Tony said about all the hiking sounded brutal.I gotta go catch my breath now.

Back