Dogs and Deer what a great weekend!

Weston

Well this friday was opening day of my coues hunt so on thursday I made the trip down to tucson and out to our hunting area on the way out I kept looking at my new AR I finished putting together wednesday and couldnt take it anymore I had to do a couple stands. on the second stand I had this male come in across a thick canyon from me and the 40 grain VMAX put him down.
Picture.jpg

Found this little guy walking back to the jeep
Picture001-1.jpg

Then after I was satisfied I headed on into deer camp and got ready for the next day.

4AM rolled around and off I was I hiked 7.5 miles into a mountain range that I love to hunt deer in and glassed up a bunch on friday morning and finally I found one I wanted to shoot I glassed him up at about 1500 yards and made the stalk into 600 where I prepared for the shot. he was fighting with a smaller buck and down across a canyon in the bottom of the draw from me. So I took my time dry fired on him a couple times and decided I was ready put one .308 cartidge in the gun and squeezed the trigger. That buck jumped up a little turned and ran straight downhill and died in a small thicket!

Picture004.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

AND finally my favorite picture this is about 45 minutes after the shot I worked down the ridge and got about 300 yards from my buck and the deer it was fighting with was still wondering what happened he stood there and pawed the dead buck for about 15 more minutes before he left
Picture002-1.jpg

Then on the way out yesterday I decided to try a few stands on the second stand (thick brushy wash trying to call a bobcat) I had two coyotes hard charge the gametraks I put the crosshairs on the first when I thought he was going to stop but once he got up to the call he mach threed in the wrong direction I hit him in the back legs and then again in the boiler room when he was dragging himself and missed the other dog which is surley educated now! My camera had run out of batteries though so no pictures of that dog.

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was shooting my 700 with the jewell trigger and I have a nikon 6-18x scope on it, I had a blast and the "trophy pic" is a little rushed as I couldnt figure out how to make my self timer work and it was preset at 5 seconds!

Its awful big country out here and most the shots are atleast 300 yards but I shoot out to 800 just to be sure I wont be out ranged, its about 25 inches smaller than the biggest coues I've killed 115" but he was still definitly big enough to shoot opening day he rough taped at 91 inches

Well, First off it took me another couple hours to cross the canyon and get too him, then it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to use the self timer on my camera then another hour or so to debone him and pack him into my Blacks Creek pack, and finally the long 9.8 (according to the GPS) hike out which was a bit longer because I followed a canyon a ways further to a finger that I could hike up more easily carring my pack with all my gear the meat the head the .308 (which is a PIG at over 13 pounds) my spotting scope binos and my tripod which came out to just under 85 pounds and put some chris ledoux on my iPod and trucked on out of there I didnt stop till I was on the mesa I camp on about 2 miles away from camp because I knew it would be hard to muster up the energy to keep going if I stopped. Even shed hunting a couple times a week and hiking quite a ways each outing the pack out stil killed me and I am sore today 3 days later but all in all it was very worth it and I got the deer dropped off at the taxidermist today for a european mount and cant wait to get him back!

Back