Coyote hunting in Northern Utah.

CoyoteMan89

I have never shot a coyote before and I would really like to get into them. I have been out a few times but have called any in and I think it is the area I have been going to. Does anyone know of any good areas to go in Northern Utah that don't have much pressure? If anyone has useful information I would really appreciate it, thanks.

try this spot....
Go out I-80 west between 50 miles and 200 miles, turn left or right, follow any of those roads, and drive around in any direction(just watch for Dugway air strikes). I promise you you will see atleast 3 other rigs in any one day and maybe up to a dozen. I hear Juarez, Mexico has a grundle of coyotes too. Oh snap!
Seriously, good luck finding any dogs up here. There are too many people pounding everything within 3 hours of SLC. My advice to you, hunt REAL close. There are plenty of coyotes in the Avenues.

I live in vernal there isn't to much pressure this way. There is a million callers. I wouldn't say they were hunters. They drive around mostly and call out of the truck. But I have always had good success out here. Hike back in the woods and watch the magic happen.

Not to be rude but no one is going to tell you where they are finding coyotes. Have some patience. You are not going to call them in all the time.

Just try to learn the habitat and behavior of coyotes. And I'll be the first to tell ya, you ain't gotta drive 3+ hours to call in coyotes. You'd be surprised how many get overlooked that are on the outskirts of town. I've been hunting pretty hard lately training a dog and I've been calling coyotes in everyweek and haven't driven more then 1 hour outta salt lake city. Also, don't look for the obivious spots, cuz I'm sure someone else has. Look for the not so obivious spots and I think you'll get surprised. Good luck and have fun.

Originally Posted By: CoyoteMan89I have never shot a coyote before and I would really like to get into them. I have been out a few times but have called any in and I think it is the area I have been going to. Does anyone know of any good areas to go in Northern Utah that don't have much pressure? If anyone has useful information I would really appreciate it, thanks.

CoytoeMan89,
How new to calling are you? Maybe its not so much of where you are calling, but how. Just wondering how much experience you have. It might help you a ton to go with a vertern.

The key to finding callable coyotes in Northern Utah is hard work and determination. I've found that a lot of callers in Utah are somewhat lazy and narrow minded about stand locations. Lace-up your Miendl's and get away from the roads and pressure. Like others have stated, look for areas that aren't obvious to everyone and pay special attention to tracks and scat. Gain some access to private property if you have to. Stay persistent, work hard and it'll happen for you. It's also a good idea to hook up with another experienced caller to shorten that learning curve and give you some critique on things you might need to improve upon to warrant success. Good hunting, and be sure to share pics when it all comes together for ya.

Originally Posted By: Predator StrikeforceThe key to finding callable coyotes in Northern Utah is hard work and determination. I've found that a lot of callers in Utah are somewhat lazy and narrow minded about stand locations. Lace-up your Miendl's and get away from the roads and pressure. Like others have stated, look for areas that aren't obvious to everyone and pay special attention to tracks and scat. Gain some access to private property if you have to. Stay persistent, work hard and it'll happen for you. It's also a good idea to hook up with another experienced caller to shorten that learning curve and give you some critique on things you might need to improve upon to warrant success. Good hunting, and be sure to share pics when it all comes together for ya.

Very good info Tom, I'll tell ya my frustation. When I started hunting coyotes 2 years ago, I asked the same kinds of questions. Where, how, and the who of hunting. It is really hard to get started hunting coyotes because nobody wants a newbie to tag along and if you already know someone that will take you, you wouldn't be askin for help on an open forum. It also seems to me that more people would rather share their wife then their hunting spots. So here's my offer to anyone that wants to go "taggin" along. I'm still learning alot myself and I always like company. I ain't got no "hot spots", no promises of coyotes, or know how for that fact but if you want to go out calling let me know.

duner450 said it best. It's hard for a new guy to learn when noone wants you along. That is a great thing to throw out that offer as well.

I'll tell you I agree you don't have to go 200 miles out in the desert. It seems like everyone has the idea that you have to so that's where all the coyote hunters are at. I never like to go more than about an hour drive. I get too excited and can't stand driving further. the last times I have gone is down a main road on my way home from work. I have shot a total of 7 coyotes down this same road and seen at least 6 more. this is a 15 mile stretch or road, and I never run into anyone else.

Go out anyplace you find and keep calling. How long have you been calling? What areas are you calling now. Maybe theres too many making the same sounds in the areas your going.
I wish you the best of luck to you. Keep your head up.

Thank you all of you, good information. Well I'm pretty new to calling but I went today and got them talking to me and then some people on 4-wheelers were driving around us, they sounded pretty close so I think that may have messed us up a little but I'm not sure, could have been me.

Just got a question on calling. How long should I call for on howling calls and how long on distress calls?

And what calls do all of you prefer? I am using the Primos Hotdog, and have used my cousins Phantom electronic call too.

Last edited:
I've hunted N. Utah for decades. The coyotes are few and far between. Southern Utah or Eastern Utah would be best.
I've been looking for the honey hole for years and I've never found it.
You just need to be in the field A LOT.
Don't call from the truck, hike in, keep the wind in your face and expect them to come in from down wind.
Use a rifle large enough to put them down.

reb8600 - is right, people want to keep their spot secret.
If they post it here, everyone will hunt there.

I like the comment by foxsmasher, hunt the Avenues.

I've called in more than 100 coyotes with the HotDog. It works great but be sure to use the howls in moderation. This time of year, I only use it on the first stand at dawn and sometimes last stand at dusk. Even at that, I only make three howls and then stop. Not three sequences, just three howls.

Stick to prey distress and try some coyote pup distress if the rabbit sounds aren't working. Woodpeckers and other bird sounds are great when too many hunters are playing the jack or cottontail. If you have the ability to do so, add some crow sounds or magpies in with the distress cries to add some realism and get the coyotes comfortable.

DON'T CALL TOO LOUD for the first five minutes. Turn on the electronic just loud enough to hear it.

Make sure you have a clear shooting lane down wind. If you cant see the down-wind approach, move so that you can before you start calling.

Sit in the shade and rotate your head from hard left to hard right. Not just straight out in front of you. You'll hear people say, only use your eyes to look and don't move your head. Disregard this for now. You don't have enough experience to even know if you're setting up right so don't limit your vision to where you think they'll respond because you'll probably be wrong most of the time until you get the hang of it. Turn your head slowly. Until you get several kills under your belt, your head should be on a swivel looking everywhere, including behind you. Most new callers never see the coyotes they call in because they simply aren't looking for something small enough. I'll bet 20-30 times a season I've heard clients say "I thought it was just a rabbit" when a coyotes is on its way in. Look smaller!

Always, always, always glass for 2-5 minutes looking at every detail before breaking stand. I look for coyote ears and you'd be surprized at how many I find when I thought it was a dry stand. I never say to myself, there's nothing out there, in fact, I do the opposite and say I know there's one out there I just have to find it. Play "Where's Waldo?" I call it "Where's Wile E?" I'm an idiot I know, but it works.

Good Luck.

Very good advice Tom on the glassing before you get up and go! I saw 2 coyotes just yesterday doing that exact thing at the end of a set.

Thank you Tom, I really appreciate it, I need as much help as I can get haha. I am going to try and make it out into the field next week sometime and I will most definitively try all of those tips and hope I can make something happen.

Bobtails,
Did you get those 2 coyotes that you spotted?

Bobtails and me actually called in 4 coyotes yesterday including the 2 he found with binoculars. We got those two to come in but did not get a shot at them. One came within 20 yds of me. I needed a shotgun instead of a rifle. I couldnt get the sights on him. Rob killed one of the others we called and I missed one. We actually had a double on one stand that showed in less than 2 minutes.

That is awesome, I hope I can get into some like that next week. I will have to take my shotgun, never thought about taking one before. What load would you use in your shotgun on yotes?

i use #3 buck outta my 20 ga. just cuz thats all i can find, shootin them with a shotgun is so awesome! good look bobtails and reb on them dogs ya called in

Back