The .25 DTI is up and running!

dtech

A while back, I had a customer talk to me about doing a version of the 6mm DTI but with a .25 caliber bullet. We talked about it for a bit, and he decided to move forward with it.

I ordered the reamers and dies and not too long ago, they all showed up. I chambered the first barrel, headspaced it and shot it for the first time today. I don't think it will have quite the following that the 6mm version has, but there there seems to be a loyal quarter-bore following. Since I ordered the reamers and dies, another .25 fan has stepped up to the plate, so now I have a couple of them to build.

I also have the dies and reamers for a .22 version of the DTI, and a good customer in Iowa waiting on the first one. If your reading this Ray, the .22 DTI is next!

DSC_0072_s.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I am late to the party here but I love 25s

Iam also looking at building my first AR I dont really want a 223 since this will be a coyote rifle and stumbled onto this I was originally thinking 6x45 but wanted just a little more umph

So what can you tell me about this round?

how long of barrel does it need to perform?

what type of velocity can you get from the 75-90 gr bullets?

Is any brass available or are we modifying spc brass?

I have the 6mm version and I went with the 22 inch barrel and with 75-80gr bullets 3200fps is possible and you may do better with the larger bore diameter.Yes you will have to size down 6.8 spc brass which is easy and as you fire-form the rounds they are accurate enough for all hunting applications for sure.

Ok ths Venatic

I dont usually care to neck brass down more than one size as you typically need to ream the necks or outside trip for heaviness but I am down with it

Originally Posted By: nitisOk I am late to the party here but I love 25s

Iam also looking at building my first AR I dont really want a 223 since this will be a coyote rifle and stumbled onto this I was originally thinking 6x45 but wanted just a little more umph

So what can you tell me about this round?

how long of barrel does it need to perform?

what type of velocity can you get from the 75-90 gr bullets?

Is any brass available or are we modifying spc brass?

I am doing testing on barrel lengths from 18" up to 22". The testing has only begun, but it looks like the velocity loss on the 18" barrel is very minimal. I'm not afraid of hauling around a 22" barrel, but on the bullet/powder combinations that I shot so-far, it looks like the 18" is only loosing about 85 FPS. I think when I build my own .25 DTI, it's going to be an 18" mid-length. I really like the way a mid-length feels and points.

So-far, the 75's are running in the 3250-3300 FPS and the 90's are 3000-3050 FPS.

The brass is super simple to form from 6.8 SPC brass. Simply run the brass through the FL size die and load it. The shoulder-angle will change by 2* after the first firing, but no other case-prep is needed.

Originally Posted By: SDCoyoteCallerMike,

What kind of velocities are you getting with the .22 DTI?
The only bullet that I have worked with to this point is a 55 grain spitzer. The velocities on that bullet have been in the 3450-3460 area. I've got a lot of work to do with both the .22 and .25 DTI, but the early results are very encouraging.

DTech-that seems like a heck of a nice round. Did you ever consider a 6.5 version or is that infringing too much on the Grendel or too close to the 6.8? The 6.5 version would pry some bucks out of my obama-damaged wallet. Just saying. TTT

I came out with the 6mm because I'm fond of the 6mm and I had a lot of interest from varmint and predator hunters alike. The .25 and the .22 versions were pursued because of a few people that really wanted them. I would build a 6.5 version if someone came forward and asked for it. So-far, that hasn't happened.

One thing to keep in mind, especially with the 6mm and the 6.5. The velocities I am posting are based on very safe pressures, very reasonable barrel-lengths and being able to reload the brass many times. I often have prospective customers tell me that they have read where brand "X" is getting some phenomenal velocity with their 6mm. When you look closer, you will find out that they are using a 26" tube and destroying the brass. That's fine for a competitive shooter that wants to wring as much out of a round as possible, but it's an unfair comparison for the varmint or especially the predator crowd.

On an even playing field, the DTI line will hang right in there with the rest of the mid-sized rounds. If you want more velocity and still don't want to ruin brass, you can always step up to the WSSM....

Originally Posted By: nitiswhat about neck turning? you think this could be an issue?

in the 257?

The DTI's are all "no turn" chambers. I turn the necks on my 6mm DTI but don't on the .257. I probably will on the .22, but I'm not neck turning from necessity, purely trying to wring out all I can get as far as accuracy.

Once things pick up for me after the first of the year, I'm placing an order for a complete upper in .25DTI... I really like the idea of an 18" 25-06...

What style and weights do you think we'll be able to load up in this? COAL b/w 2.29 and 2.305 is what I can max out my 6.8spc...

I'd like to know your input here, and see what kind of range of bullets we could expect to utilize in this round...

Originally Posted By: Brandon SneedOnce things pick up for me after the first of the year, I'm placing an order for a complete upper in .25DTI... I really like the idea of an 18" 25-06...

What style and weights do you think we'll be able to load up in this? COAL b/w 2.29 and 2.305 is what I can max out my 6.8spc...

I'd like to know your input here, and see what kind of range of bullets we could expect to utilize in this round...

The first .25 DTI that I built was a 22", and that's what I'm working with right now. After looking at the % powder burn on the different barrel lengths on QuickLoad, I decided to try an 18" mid-length. I chambered on this weekend and started it into a batch of barrels to be fluted. I made it a lighter contour than a full "Bull" profile, and expect to have a nice, light, quick swinging upper just in time for white-tail season!

I would normally use a 100 grain Nosler partition, but I've got some 90 grain Sierra hunting bullets I may try. I will be using bullets from 75 to 100 grains for my testing.

Awesome news Mike. I wasn't sure what you had planned, so figured I'd ask the Oracle myself... have this thread on subscribe, so I'll be checking in frequently!

Ok I'm in!! Spoke with Mike last week and he is building me the 'first' 6.5 DTI-whoo hooo. I always thought the 6.8 SPC should have been a 6.5 anyway. I plan on using it for a walkabout/carry predator and deer rifle. I like the AR platform and my .223s are super but I would like a little more oomph especially for deer. Hoping to have it by spring/summer. Thanks Mike. TTT

Back