7mm08 Ackley Build (In Progress)

pyscodog

In the process of building a new rifle. Its gonna be a 7mm08 AI. Gonna have a gunsmith friend of mine build it before he retires and won't be available anymore. Barrel is a 10 twist stainless Douglas air guage and using a Rem 700 action. The barrel is 24 inchs long and .750 dia. at the muzzel. I think the rifle should make a nice whitetail rig. What are your thoughts on the build?? I like the 7mm08 and the Ackley should spice it up abit.
pyscodog

That should be a nice stick, even though you are using an off brand action
tt2.gif

Never mind Brent on that action, I think it sounds pretty good!

If it were mine I'd go 22" and a #2 or lighter contour.

BTW Brent- I need to give you a shout this afternoon...

I don't think the 7mm-08AI offers that much gain over the standard round. If it's just a matter of liking something different then I would say have it, but shortening the barrel to 22" I would think would negate the small performance gain even further.

Once into that territory, I might opt for another caliber, say 284 Winchester. To each his own though and good luck.

pyscodog.....mine is built off a M77 with 24" chrome-moly .600" (std dia?) air-gauge or premium (been several years ago) douglas....i went regular steel because my smith's blueing is a deep,deep,deep blue-black that i just love....the length & barrel weight might be an issue if ya hunt in briar patch....you won't gain the numbers like layne simpson's SGLC but every barrel is different....i've just bagged antelope and mule deer with mine....it's still a lite recoil'n cartridge....around the campfire the brass garners attention....good luck & enjoy it.

I was just wanting something a little "different", with a bit of nostalgia. The rifle was already a 7-08 but accuracy was , in my opinion, poor. A friend has a 7-08 AI and claims he runs 100 grainers around 3700 FPS. We'll see about that! Just think the AI cases look so frickin cool, I thought, "What the Heck", lets go Ackley! Barrel length was chosen in order to try and keep the velocity up without being too long. Barrel diameter, welllll, I just like them heavy barrels. My R-15 is the only sporter barrel I own. All the rest are varmint contours.

Back