Gun rack for Suzuki Samurai

NM_HighPlains

I need a floor mounted holder for my soft-top Samurai. Any of you used this?

51HjhZJfI9L._SS500_.jpg

Kolpin UTV gun rack

I kind of think that's gonna bounce and jar quite a bit and that I might be better just going with a Kolpin gun boot. Any opinions?

You'll hate a vertical roughly 5 minutes after you start using it. I had a pair of them in my old jeep, lots more room than the sammi, no-where near enough to make it work well. It got the rifle up the mountain but that was about it. I started using a regular case lain across the back wheel wells and it worked a ton better. But that was the jeep. In the samurai you'll be running without a top with that config, barrels are too long.

For the sammi I'm doing this. No worse than running it on my old ATV, keeps it accessible but out of the way.

0919001846a.jpg

You will lose about 2 inches of windshield viewing with this, but I have seen one fabricated for a rifle. You just have to make sure your rifle is short enough to fit! He uses a short .243 and had to fab in padding and a velcro strap but it works great in his Samurai.
thumbup1.gif

vdp_overhead_storage_shelf.jpg

Originally Posted By: NdIndyYou'll hate a vertical roughly 5 minutes after you start using it.

For the sammi I'm doing this. No worse than running it on my old ATV, keeps it accessible but out of the way.

Thanks!!!

I've seen your picture before and that's what made me think about the Kolpin. Given that I have several ATVs, too, it would be a more versatile arrangement, I think. I think I'll go that direction.

My Samurai is in the Classifieds section a few months back, with lots of interest but no takers. Guess I'll run 'er thru the winter at least. No regrets here!
smile.gif

EDIT: tell me a little about your headlights- that's the next thing I'll be looking at upgrading.

Last edited:
Up to this year, this was my rifle setup.
DSCF2134.jpg

It also worked to carry my bow. Just needed 1 additional mounting hole on each side to pivot the brackets, then the velcro strap you see to tie down the string side.

DSCF2133.jpg

Worked well when the top was off, worked OK when the top was on. 2 seater only in this one so it was a good place.

The outside mount idea I had when I first bought this thing, just this year decided to do it. The case is inside the tire width so fairly protected.

0919001848.jpg

The samurai is a neat little rig. I came across them when I was looking for a SBS ATV a few years ago. I looked up to 100 miles in any direction and the best I could find was rolled over and set on fire a few times and they still wanted $6k for them. Then I found a couple pics and some info of a few that were modded up the same as I used to with jeeps and I changed directions. Now I go pretty much everywhere including places you only see hikers and ATV's which is fun. Last trip out I heard "Glad that's not my rig" and "How did you get back here?" more than once. I had 1 guy ask how I made it through the mudhole as he couldn't get his ATV through it. He was kind of shocked when I told him I hadn't been out of 2wd yet
laugh.gif

I'm still planning a 1.6 swap, but all told I'll have about $3k in the total build. So far:

Weber carb
3-4" lift
new wheels w/31's
4.62 gearing each axle
4:1 Tcase
ARB front locker
Air system
10k winch and bumper (built off HF winch plate)
"Custom" hehehe fender flares (free homemade items)

Probably more if I sat and thought about it. Full build by me in my garage/driveway. Easy little rigs to work on.

As far as the headlights, they're off the shelf items. You're probably asking about the bumper lights though.
DSCF2137.jpg

Also off the shelf at Walmart. Very bright. I usually pull the stock bulbs and put in the highest wattage I can find, but with the low mounting it hasn't been necessary yet.

Last edited:
Excellent! Thanks for the extra pictures- that box in the rear has me thinking.

And yes, the bumper lights were what I was interested in. Mine's nearly 100% off-road here on the ranch and I'm frequently coming back in the dark in the winter. Extra lights would be nice.

That thing PharmerJon is talking about looks like a pretty good idea also, but theres no need in fabricating one. They make something similar to that just for rifles. I almost bought one for my bronco back when I had it.

HIGHPLAINS,Cabelas used to sale these for jeeps not sure if they still do.I have one for my jeep but dont really use it because it takes up to much room.But they do hold guns nice.

Back