What is the best .243 bullet for Whitetails

Dultimatpredator

Has anyone tried the 85G Hornady interbond yet? This one interests me. I am interested in this bullet, the 100g Core Loct, 115g Berger VLD,...any others? I would like something that puts a deer down fast. I have been loading up 90g Scirrocs for a friend for years. I hve some 90g Nosler ballistic tips loaded up from past years that shoot tight little groups. He has shot several deer with them but most travel a good 40 to 60 yards before dropping. I think its just a little too hard of a bullet for thin skin game for this caliber.

Last edited:
you don't say where you are. whitetails to me are not created "equal". the ones here in az barely make 70 pounds. the ones in maine and sask are 300. that said i have killed a lot of mule deer with the .243. and one coues whitetail. i have had excellent results with the 85 grain sierra bthp ( most were killed with it) ; 100 grain sierra , 100 horn , 95 and 100 nosler partiton. others i might try now; the 85 partion, 88 and 95 berger, 95 nosler balistic tip. i did not know hornady made an 85 grain bonded bullet. the 115 berger will only stabalize in a rifle with a twist of 8 or less

The 85grn TSX sounds good. I have used the 95 grn partition last Fall and was very satisfied. Some of the 100 grn offerings would be fine too. I was out the other eve on an anterless only hunt with some 85 grn gamekings chambered, no shot was offered though. I was actually looking for a coyote as much as a doe. Lately I've been carrying a 243 more than my 308 or 284win when it comes to deer.

There are some that are certainly NOT appropriate but I am not sure there is a BEST bullet either. I love the 85 grain Barnes TSX and the 100 grain Sierra GameKing. There are many great bullets in the 80 to 100 grain range that will work well on Deer.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorHas anyone tried the 85G Hornady interbond yet? This one interests me. I am interested in this bullet, the 100g Core Loct, 115g Berger VLD,...any others? I would like something that puts a deer down fast. I have been loading up 90g Scirrocs for a friend for years. I hve some 90g Nosler ballistic tips loaded up from past years that shoot tight little groups. He has shot several deer with them but most travel a good 40 to 60 yards before dropping. I think its just a little too hard of a bullet for thin skin game for this caliber.

Remember, the "heavyweights" in .243 are going to need a faster twist barrel. A 1:9" or 1:9.25" will usually stabilize projectiles up to about 100gr. Over that, a 1:8" or even 1:7" is recommended. I've been "lucky" in that my 1:9.25" Rem heavy barrel has done a good job with bullets up to 105gr. Test rounds in the 107 to 115 range did NOT shoot or stabilize well at all.

If you dont mind shooting factory ammo, everyone I know with a .243 shoots 100gr Remington Cor-Lokts. Ive heard some people dont like them but I also shoot cor-lokts out of my .270 and have never had a deer get up after being shot so I dont see anything wrong with them. If your going to reload im sure there may be better choices out there but reloading opens up alot more options than factory ammo.

I have been reloading for almost 12 years now and have went back to reloading 180g core-locts for my 30-06...I am convinced there is no bullet on the planet better for deer in an 06'. In the 243 I would assume a rapid expanding bullet that opens up to make a larger hole and a quick transfer of engery would be the ticket. How about Hornady's 95g SST?

Originally Posted By: buckhalljrBarnes 85 grain TSX

For an all around "deer bullet" that is probably as good as it gets. Second nod might be the 100 gr. Nosler Partition for big northern deer.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI have been reloading for almost 12 years now and have went back to reloading 180g core-locts for my 30-06...I am convinced there is no bullet on the planet better for deer in an 06'. In the 243 I would assume a rapid expanding bullet that opens up to make a larger hole and a quick transfer of engery would be the ticket. How about Hornady's 95g SST? i am envious of your big deer. i am glad wisconsin beat alabama. the 95sst and the 95 balistic tip are similar to me . and should work fine. those plastic tipped conventional bullets seem easier to get an accurate load for. for a .243; i would use a 100 grain partition; next a horn or sierra 100 grain or a 95 partition. i like 165's in my 30-06. that is what i would use if i was back there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RONINFLAGOriginally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI have been reloading for almost 12 years now and have went back to reloading 180g core-locts for my 30-06...I am convinced there is no bullet on the planet better for deer in an 06'. In the 243 I would assume a rapid expanding bullet that opens up to make a larger hole and a quick transfer of engery would be the ticket. How about Hornady's 95g SST? i am envious of your big deer. i am glad wisconsin beat alabama. the 95sst and the 95 balistic tip are similar to me . and should work fine. those plastic tipped conventional bullets seem easier to get an accurate load for. for a .243; i would use a 100 grain partition; next a horn or sierra 100 grain or a 95 partition. i like 165's in my 30-06. that is what i would use if i was back there.
165g Core-locts take em off their feet here too. I wish I was out there right now wih my 70g Nosler BTs. I just got off the phone with my buddy who lives in Goodyear...hes out in a spot I harvested 5 bobcats over the last several years with his new Mojo Woodpecker. Its killing me!!!

I second the Barnes 85 gr. TSX. Although given the results
I had on a recent antelope hunt with my 6mm Rem. launching
80 gr. Barnes Tipped TSX(TTSX) bullets, it had exceptional
expansion on two antelope kills. One buck went down hard at 319
yards, with a pretty gruesome exit hole. I now feel very
comfortable that this bullet( 80 gr. TTSX) would be quite
effective on our large northern Wisconsin Whitetails, too. A
great lower cost 6mm bullet for Whitetails is the 100 gr. Sierra
Game King. Accurate and preforms well on game.

Squeeze

Back