spotlighting in idaho?ng

the noobie

i cant find anything in the very confusing idaho proc. but the coyotes are howling again tonight and its makin me mad so im curious is spotlighting legal in idaho? or are there any tags/licenses i can buy?

You can spot light dog in Idaho if you are on private property with permission. You can't spotlight from a vehicle and your light must have it's own power source. Good luck

Get out there, it just takes a little getting used to... like getting in a tall tree stand on a skinny tree on a windy day, sure you're gonna sway a little but it ain't gonna kill ya! Then again, that's here in Iowa where we don't have any dangerous animals, except the mountain lions that have started moving in but they're pretty rare. Spotlighting in Iowa is illegal, and I wish I could do it. Instead, I have to wait for a nice snow cover and a full moon and do it old school. At least you have a light!

I dont have a tree stand the trees arent the best around here and my spotlight is car operated but it might just kill me.. lol we have all of the big game predators except grizzly bears... it just wouldnt be the safest without a few buddies and a shotgun or three along with the rifles

You have to get a permit from Fish & Game to use an artificial light in Idaho. Cost--$1.00 You can hunt with light in any unit as long as there is no big game season currently open in that unit. What shootermedic said also applies. The permission must be written and carried with you while hunting. Pretty much good to go anywhere after December first as most hunts are over by then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: the noobieit just wouldnt be the safest without a few buddies and a shotgun or three along with the rifles

That's what makes it fun!! Hunting at night is great, I do it all the time.... by myself.

Originally Posted By: the noobieso its never legal to spotlight on public land ever?

Ready your furbearer and your big game proclamation. The information you need is in there but you need to look at both of them to get all the information. Yes you can on public land so long as the county/city has no law forbidding it.

Originally Posted By: the noobieso its never legal to spotlight on public land ever?

Its legal if there is no big game season open on the land you want to hunt and you have a permit from F&G. Read page 36 of the upland game and furbearer booklet.

Last edited:
Taken directly from the idaho fish and game furbearers rules:

It is Unlawful
• To trap without a valid trapper’s license.
• To destroy or damage a muskrat or beaver house.
• To trap in or on a muskrat house.
• To destroy, disturb, or remove any traps belonging to
others.
• To use any part of a domestic or wild origin game bird,
game animal, game fish, or protected nongame wildlife
for bait in trapping furbearing animals, unprotected
wildlife, or predatory wildlife.
• To set, place or stake any trap or snare during the closed
season.
• To possess a live furbearer taken from the wild.
• To hunt any animal or bird by aid of a spotlight, flashlight
or artificial light of any kind; except unprotected or
predatory animals on private land after obtaining written
permission and on public lands after obtaining a permit.
It is lawful to hunt raccoons on public lands without a
permit if such taking is not in violation of state, county, or
city laws, ordinances, or regulations.
• To buy furs without a valid fur buyers license.

ahhh ok i know i had seen it in the proc last year but i couldnt find it this year to buy this $1.00 license to use the spotlight can i just go to cabelas or sportsmans warehouse?

Originally Posted By: MTGIts legal if there is no big game season open on the land you want to hunt and you have a permit from F&G. Read page 36 of the upland game and furbearer booklet.

Where are you reading that it is legal as long as there is no big game season open. I dont see that in the proclamation.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: MTGIts legal if there is no big game season open on the land you want to hunt and you have a permit from F&G. Read page 36 of the upland game and furbearer booklet.

Where are you reading that it is legal as long as there is no big game season open. I dont see that in the proclamation.

That is what I was told last year when I got my permit. I haven't found it yet either, may be in the big game regs....I'll have to have them show me where it is.

no reason to be afraid of the dark my friend. i look at it like this if i could hunt at night here i'd be the thing that goes bump in the night that everything else better be scared of.

Spotlighting is a blast and can provide for some very fast action.

But you are right here in Idaho there is a chance of calling in some thing bigger than you were expecting.

I have had some mixed experiences on public ground. So I stay mostly on private ground the sheriff doesn't ask as many questions.

Originally Posted By: jspencerI'm just guessing, but I think you have to go down to the fish and game office to get that permit.

Yeah, just go to the main office off Myrtle, or the one in Nampa on Powerline. I think they're 2.75 but there isn't any sense in buying one now because you can't use it yet.

MTG, when I contacted F&G in Pocatello, I was told that the permit was nearly impossible to get, and that I'd be better off just sticking to private land if I wanted to spotlight. Are you saying that it was as simple as going in to the office?

Wishin'----- yes, just went in to the Idaho Falls office. There is nothing special to do to get one, I don't know why the Poky ofice gave you a hard time.

Back