Why I dont shoot Coyotes with a 204 any longer

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDP

The first coyote was shot about 1" to the right of the nose found him the next day about 400 yrds away

2nd coyote was shot a little back and through the liver and back of 1 lung but still ran close to 300 yards

i know both could be called error on my part but there would not have been any tracking on either with my 22-250

Last edited:
how long were those shots and what bullet were you using.
Cracker
ps put that no good 204 in a box, then send it to me and I will bury it for you.

What bullet are you using? I have not had a problem with mine. I am using the 35 gr Berger. I have heard a lot of bad reports with the 32 gr Vmax. I had one I hit with a 22-250 that I never found. I found pieces of meat in the sage brush but never did find the coyote.

While I don't disagree you'll have runners with a .204 that you wouldn't have with a .-250, the bullet you are using is about the last bullet I'd ever use on a coyote in .204" besides the Varmint Grenade. Pick any bullet in .204" besides the 26 VG and you'll be better off.

The first appears to be a jaw shot and the latter appears to be a front gut/liver shot. I've had worse runners with more gun and better placement as I'm sure you have as well. Coyotes don't wanna die sometimes.

Not defending the .204 nor giving you a hard time as we've all had these things happen.

I'd switch bullets to a 35 or 40 Berger.

My point is that the cartridge is one of the last things I'd fault in the recovery of your coyotes.

Again, no harm nor flaming intended.

Take care and good calling.

We lost a coyote that was hit too far back with a .257 Wby with 115 NBT's. Looked like a bowl of rigatoni had been scattered about. Never would have guessed it.....

I agree with reb. I'd scrap the prairie dog bullets.

The Berger's and the heavy Hornady's are supposed to be the way to go. I have heard of a couple guys having success with 39 grain SBK's, then a bunch more reports of splashing.

edit:I think I'd have to agree that you can't blame the cartridge. Those weren't good hits.

Yup, I have a 204 and love it. BUT I don't like the 32 grainers on coyotes. Praire Dogs are awesome but I haven't been impressed with them past 200 on a coyote. But I haven't shot more than 4 or 5 with it either so my opinion is worth what you pay for it.

The v-max just isnt a good bullet for coyotes.use em for chucks and squirrels. 35 gr. bergers are working good for me.Pretty small holes in the hide to if your keeping fur.

The little 32gr vmax isn't a good bullet for coyote, I used them the first couple yrs I had the Tactical.20. A 35 Berger or 40gr Nosler will work good, but also the muzzle shot one would be a iffy one with about any bullet. I will make my next Tactical.20 out of a Browning x-bolt, this one is an a-bolt.
Those little ones sure will go fast though, shot them at 4375 and had one cronied at 4420fps. They will cut a swath through a prairie dog. The 40gr move out around 4000fps.

I use 32 grain Sierra Blitz King and have never had a problem. I have shot maybe a dozen coyotes with mine, 200 yards on into about 20 yards. For some reason mine just would not shoot Vmax

If I was you I would move those vids of youtube the anti's will just use them against us!

Everyone will have runners! No one shoots perfect every time they drop the hammer. But at least you are admitting you did have bad shot placement. And my buddy shoots a 22-250 and he still gets runners from time to time.

So you shoot a coyote in the jaw, it doesn't die immediately and you blame the bullet.

I'm just sayin ..............

I have personaly seen one spin and run when hit with a 30-06. Think it is about placement and bullet selection more than caliber.

It was titled why ( I ) don't shoot a 204. Not why you should not. I have had runners with my 250 also but not as. Mmany. The first coyote was hit 1" right Of his nose, my 250 would have taken his head off. Ill save my 204 for fox and bobcats. Just my 2c

I watched a coyote get hit too far back with a 22-250 and never found it. Tracked it to the very last drop of blood on crusted snow. So no you would not have found a coyote hit with a 22-250 that you hit too far back with a 204.

t/c223encore.

I wouldn't shoot V max bullets out of a 22-250 been there done that, 52gr HP drops em in there tracks unless you shoot them in the nose or the liver........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back