One piece mount for Model Seven?

wahoowad

Hi folks. I just purchased a Remington Model Seven Predator in 17 Fireball. I picked up a set of Weaver front/rear bases and installed them last night. I think I prefer a 1-piece rail type base but this is my first rifle where I had to install a base so am not sure of my options. Would a 1-piece base be appropriate for this rifle and who makes one?

I should add I prefer to use Burris Signature Zee rings so would want a Weaver style mount. That said, open to other suggestions as I am always learning. I did see this one at midway and it is inexpensive. My only question about it would be the rifle action has 4 screws and I only see 3 on this mount:
B-Square 1-piece rail

Thanks!

Last edited:
there are a few options for 1-piece mounts. leupold makes one, for example. you'd have to switch your rings for the std-style, but you could still use your inserts. there are several other makers as well.

many 1-piece mounts use only 3 holes, and even more so for the m7 because the 4-hole receiver is a fairly recent change. for the longest time they only had 3 holes and you only could get 1-piece bases for them. so, in a 1-piece base it is fine to only use 3 of the 4 holes.

there is a 1-piece base out now for the m7 that uses all 4 holes, but of course the maker escapes me at the moment. midway should have it, so a little time searching should turn it up for you.

as far as 2-piece vs 1-piece... i am not a fan of 1-piece bases except for particular applications because the bridge of the base limits access to the magazine and chamber, and because i think they will show imperfections in the machining more than the 2-piece which stresses the receiver.

You have a good point about limiting access to the chamber and bolt area - this is my first rifle where you load the cartridges down through the chamber (no magazine). Maybe I can find a 1-piece locally and see how much of hindrance it will be.

I have a one pc. Leupold base & rings on my old 3 screw Model Seven. The strength afforded by the one pc. was desirable for that application.

On another, I had Glen Seekens make me a 20MOA canted pic rail. Long range caliber, the cant was a nice bonus and Glen's stuff is TOP notch.

On a third Seven, I have Talley 2pc ring/bases.

I like them all for each rifle they're on.

If you've got a four screw receiver (newer Seven), then get you a set of Talleys. Light, strong, & great access to load/unload...

If it has four holes nothing is better than the Talley Lightweight mounts. If it only has three holes then nothing is better than the Dead Nutz. Do a search of scope mounts and you'll find these two, they are top notch in every regard.

You can pay more but the Leupold "Dual Dovetail" base and rings are really good and strong. I also like Leupold "Standard" bases and rings.

Do not get the aluminum "Rifleman" definitely go with steel.
You will not regret going with the Leupold. I would even highly recommend the 2 pieces bases. They work great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sumrifleYou can pay more but the Leupold "Dual Dovetail" base and rings are really good and strong. I also like Leupold "Standard" bases and rings.

Do not get the aluminum "Rifleman" definitely go with steel.
You will not regret going with the Leupold. I would even highly recommend the 2 pieces bases. They work great.

The dual dovetail isn't bad, but will probably need lapping for good stress free scope mounting. In some extreme situations the dual dovetail can develop wear and “slop” in the mount which ruins accuracy. The standard mount from Leupold is terrible. That rear ring hanging back there without sharing the recoil from the rifle just doesn’t make sense. There are much better units available today than when that design was introduced. The Talley Lightweight 2-pc and the Dead Nutz 2-pc are far superior in strength, sleekness, weight, and ease of mounting.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm sticking with my Weaver bases on the model seven but chose the Dednuts for my Browning A-bolt. They are butt ugly but I will get over that quick.

I just put some Weaver type bases on my Model 7 Predator(243). I went with Warne 2 piece bases and medium Warne rings. I'd go 2 piece over a 3 hole one piece base.

Back