My little heart has swelled with pride

Merdit

Took my boy out calling this evening. First stand of the year for him, my second. Set up in a long draw with the sun at our backs and my fx3 and decoy 30yds upwind. My boy was set just behind me on my left, high-pitch, closed-reed call at the ready. On the way into the stand, a 300yd walk from the pick-up, he had said he wanted to call first, but after we set up he decided I should call first. I ran the e-call only two series and had a customer come in from upwind straight at the call. She came in with out circling down wind at all so she went out of sight below us at about 50yds before my son had a chance to see her. I thought surely a 'yote wouldn't come in that close directly upwind, so I hadn't worried about lack of vision below my e-call. Good thing it was a dumb pup. Anyway, I'm not sure how close she got to my call before she popped back up, moving straight away up the other side of the draw and he saw her. I whispered to my boy to go ahead and call. He said, "Really!!" in a very excited whisper. I said, "Ya, go ahead." He blew his call just like we had practiced. The dog turned to look back, and I knocked it down. I hit the canine distress on the e-call, and gave my son a big high-five. He was cranked that he got to call a coyote, and I was so excited I could have run whole way home. Then he asked if he could call some more, so I let him call until he asked to "get the coyote and call Mom". I am so proud of my kindergartner, and I think I have my hunting buddy hooked! Can't wait to take him out again.

Number1.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tactical .20, I had gotton so tied up in my own happiness and my son's excitement that I had not considered the memory that has been made. That makes it even better. Thanks man.

Yhea, how do you top that!? Priceless Man, priceless. He will be a sponge for learning now. A future "Randy Anderson" perhaps. Man, the lifetime of hunting you are going to get to share, very lucky! Congrats...

Merdit, That's great,,, Sounds like it's time to get him a .22 Cricket and some range time so that in a couple of years you will have him ready to help you with the shooting as well..

Sweet! Always love seeing the next generation of hunters welcomed into the fold. Tell your boy for me that he did a fine job. You think you're proud now? Wait till he bags one of his own. Remember my boys first deer, you couldn't have wiped the smile off my face with a baseball bat. It only gets better from here on.
Good job men.

That's just awesome right there! Talk about a picture being worth 1000 words.... that's the defination right there!

Congratulations!!!
thumbup.gif

bootmud

That IS the best part about hunting right there! That tops getting a trophy game of your dreams. Both you and him will remember that first one for the rest of your lives!

Congrats, Merdit! Before you know it, you'll be like me trying to keep up with your kid's coyote numbers! (Good lookin' young man, too. You should be proud!)

Awesome story! Too often these days parents plop their kids in front of sponge bob and go do their thing. Great to see you getting your little guy out and helping him experience the things you're into. Great job.

Great story and great pic! Before you know it, he'll be laying them down on his own and getting you to carry them back to the truck, which he will then ask you for the keys.

Back