CVA Elite Stalker/Academy/$159/.243/7-08/.270/.308/30-06

ATXHOGHUNTER

Joined this forum because I saw the CVA product being sold at Academy Sporting Goods being discussed. Now can't find it with the "Search" icon ... So ... Did anyone else's "impulse-buy" kick-in with Academy selling these rifles for $159 this week? I picked up a .243 and have to say I am extremely impressed. Shot it today, mounted with a cheap scope I had in a drawer and cheap ammo. Still shot just over 1 MOA. Lock-up is extremely tight and smooth. Zero trigger slop/creep. Guessing its breaking around 3 lbs. Researched the brand. Interesting back-story. Apparently CVA exclusively made muzzle-loaders in the mid 1990s. Somehow bad instructions went out (Translation error? Made in Spain?)and folks were grossly overcharging their powder. Bloodshed and death followed. Sometime later a mega-corp bought the CVA name and whatever the lawyers didn't get and began to retool. Hired a world renowned barrel designer. He directed them to have all barrels made at Bergara (which is supposedly a high-end barrel manufacturer). Ordered a big production run. CVA realized they were now overstocked and offered several thousand units to a number of U.S. sporting goods stores at rock-bottom prices. Academy jumped at it. That's about 90 minutes worth of research in 200 words or less. So ... is anyone out there experimenting with CVA rifles? I reload and would love to hear some dope on lands and such. The .243 is a compact model I got for my son, but if I can get it to shoot straight enough I'd have no problem using it on the occasional mountain-bike hunt (short gun, less getting hooked on trees). For $159, I'm tempted to go get a .270 as well.

Back