Buying used.....reloading presses

btomlin

Anyone have any reservations regarding buying used equipment or have any tips on what to look for so a guy is not buying "lemons"???

I'm considering getting into reloading and am wondering if a person has to buy new from the "get-go" or can save some cash by shopping for used.

thanks.

I've purchased some of my equipment from pawn shops and garage/estate sales, at very good prices....especially by waiting until the last minute in some instances. (I've also missed some good buys)

Reloading equipment is usually well made and doesn't wear out like some other items, as most reloaders tend to take basic care of it while they are using it...

If I know it's been sitting in a pawn shop for several months, I can usually get it at a price reduced from the original asking price and the same with a garage sale...Late Sat morning is much better for price drops than early in the morning...

I would much rather take my time and buy that way than over the internet, unless it is off of an established forum such as this one..

Our Benchrest club has a 'swap meet' about twice a year and I can pick up some high quality upgrades there at a reasonably lower cost than buying new...I tend to stay away from gun shows, as recently the dealers are asking new prices +, for used or questionable equipment..

If I were starting over from 'scratch', I'd consider buying a basic starter kit and upgrading as I could find the items... I know that is contrary to the "buy once, cry once" theory, but the economy is tight right now and a lot of people are selling off stuff to raise cash...I know a couple of local pawn shops that tend to cater to the shooting and construction community, more so than the jewelry store fronts..

Hey BT
Turtle is right on,Here is another angle,a guy at our club who helps everybody out all the time,let it be known he wanted to reload,Well I gave him a old Pacific press,and all the other guys came up with odds and ends,scale,trickler,neck turner,etc. In a week he was all set. So let a few guys know down at the club,most of us have extra stuff we would like to contribute to get another shooter into our reloading fraturnity.
smile.gif

Thanks for the info gents.....I'm not aware of any shooting clubs in my area to go the "best route" it appears!
smile.gif

I was more wondering what "issues" to look for in used equipment to make them a "deal breaker". I just don't want to think I can buy something used to save some bucks to find out I just as well lit the money on fire. If you know what I mean......

I don't shoot a lot, but think I would if I wasn't sticking a dollar down the barrel ea. pull of trigger.

BT
All you need is a good reloading manual,a single stage press, a scale,case trimmer and dies to get started.As for scales get a beam style,stay away from electronic for now.My RCBS press is over forty years old and still going strong,my Mec shot shell loader is the same age and still going strong.
I have seen an ad for a good cheaper press,if I can find it I will post a link.I think I saw it in Predator extreme or Varmint hunters magazine.

You can buy you a LEE Anv. kit for less then $100 bucks then all you need is the dies for what you shoot and your good to go. Press's I would buy used as it's kinda hard to mess one up. Dies can be found cheap but they can also be bought new for just a couple more. Most reloading tools are pretty basic stuff and you can tell if it's messed up just by looking at it. Since you don't shoot much I wouldn't go all out with a Forster or Dillon when a LEE setup would be perfect to load the 500rds a year you shoot or more. Now if you find a killer deal on one by all means pick it up and if you don't use it turn around and sell it!

I have thought about just going with a LEE kit since I don't reload a lot and it is just 1 caliber...so far, but I also see the cost at $100 vs. $300 for a RCBS kit and think that they must not be made very well. Accurate thought?

Btomlin, As far as the problems usually associated with reloading equipment, just be wary of any electronic items and check them over for accuracy and function before laying out cash,,

Unless there is obvious signs of neglect (heavy rust, bent rods, etc,) most mechanical items such as presses, beam scales, de-burring tools and dial calipers are pretty reliable and easy to adjust, if needed..

As most have indicated, most presses will last a lifetime is normal care is exercised and the 'minor' tools rarely get abused by other than gross neglect,,,,such as having been stored for a long period of time in either high humidity or excessively damp locations..

Remember if you happen to buy something & it has a defect you didnt see, just about all the reloading MFGs do have a lifetime warrantee no matter who owns it.

I'm usually not afraid to buy used, much better in person of course. Even things like dies & presses need a little attention at times to keep rust at bay.

My worst was a used muzzle-loader with just 'a little rust', sight unseen besides some pictures. I doubt if it ever had a real good breakdown cleaning. I was able to clean it up & add some new parts. I never even really wanted it, just messing around on gunbroker.

Originally Posted By: btomlinI have thought about just going with a LEE kit since I don't reload a lot and it is just 1 caliber...so far, but I also see the cost at $100 vs. $300 for a RCBS kit and think that they must not be made very well. Accurate thought?

NOPE not at all, your paying for the name! I have never heard anyone have problems with any manf. of reloading products that have ever fought someone about a warranty! If your only reloading for one caliber and you don't shoot that much it will take you 3 times as long to pay off the RCBS then the LEE. You will not notice the difference between a round done on a LEE press vs RCBS press. NOW if you were into bench rest shooting then the higher dollar stuff might come ahead but for hunting and plinking in my eyes your spending extra money for nothing.

My DPMS will shoot a 5 shot group into one hole with ammo made on a LEE press.

The sad reality is that once you start and get hooked,you will have to buy guns to match the brass you pickup at the range!! I got a bunch of 257 Roberts brass for free,so I had to get a gun for the brass.But for me reloading is half the experience of shooting.
smile.gif

Last edited:
The best presses make it either easier to load accurate ammo, faster, or both, but if you are willing to take the time and care, you can load accurate ammo with any press.

If you're buying used basically look for rust. It's extremely unlikely you will ever find a "broken" press, no matter who made it.

Do get a good reloading manual (doesn't have to be new), not just a load data book for the round you're reloading. The front half of the manual will have gobs of relevant information that you really should know.

Baystate, it's not so much having to buy all those guns to match brass that costs so much, it's having those custom guns built in wildcat chamberings because now you can make ammo for them.
w00t.gif

Wether you buy a Lee or RCBS or whatever. Get the one with the O style frame. The C style frames are not as strong, but will work fine for small ctgs like .223 or pistol ctgs.

Thanks guys. I had already made up my mind that an "o" was the way to go.

Been discussing with member with pm's and thinking I will go LEE since I shoot less than 100rds per yr. A lot of guys would just shoot factory, which would prob. be smart for me as well, but if I'm going to shoot...I want the best load matched to my gun.

My buddy that is working up a load for my new 700xhr .243 found it likes 41.5g of imr4350 and the nosler 95BT...'only' shooting 2950fps on the chrony, but he fired 3 3shot groups and 1st 2 shots would cut holes and 3rd shot you could barely see some paper between the 1st 2 shots.
thumbup.gif

I might just keep buying components and having my bud load 'em too.

Last edited:
I have the Lee Breechlock Anniversary Kit, and like it real well. It does what I want with no problems. I would go with the Lee, and use the money you save to buy components. You could buy several years of components for the $200 you save, if you only shoot 100 rounds a year.

You will probably shoot more if you reload. If for no other reason, than the fact that it is fun to shoot what you load yourself.

Good Luck,
kevlars

Back