243 87gr hornady spire point for whitetail

bushy

anybody out there use the 87 spire for whitetail? I really wanted to use the partition this year but my mod 70 loves the 87 on top of h4895.

It will do the job, stay off the shoulder.

I killed several deer with the 70g Hornady Spire point, tough bullet.

My two 243's love the 85g Tripple shocks with R#19 45.5g with a Win primer(work up to that load) with a bullet jump of .050.

Hornady also makes a 85g INterbond, if you can find any.

Good luck on your white tail!

been using the 87 grain for several years works great on whitetail and antelope both my 243s like hornady 87 bullets and 37.5 grains of 3031

bush- i have shot a bunch of deer in az with .243. mostly mule deer with 85 sierra bt and 37.5 of I4064. i have also had good reults with 38.0 varget. the coues are little . the 87 horn is more than enough. for longer shots the 87 bthp,87maxe 88berger have a higher bc.

Thanks guys, I will be hunting for whitetail back in the old stompin grounds of da U.P. in Michigan, I'm taking my win 70 in 243 and my 6.8 spc AR...for me with the 243 it is a big toss up between the 87 spire point or the 100 spitzer from sierra. with either of these bullets and H4895 I have loads that hold moa (or way under) but I love how flat my rifle is shooting the 87's...1 inch high at 100 is turning out to be 2 inches low at 300. I like that. With the 6.8, I will be useing the sierra 110 spitzer and benchmark.

I am still pitting the 87's and 100's against eachother at the range in the next few weeks but the 87's seem to be pulling ahead in my opinion.

If you choose the lighter bullet approach it like using archery gear. Make very careful shot placement with good angles and away from big bones the goal. If you can't get that exact presentation you have to let that big buck walk until hopefully another day. If you really must have lightweight for a laser trajectory and want to be able to penetrate from bad angles and break some bones the Barnes 85 gr. TSX would be a good choice in the .243. That still doesn't make it a "crusher" but that TSX has it all over the lightweight Hornady. I'm surprised the U.P. of Michigan has 300 yard shots. I envisioned it as timber and brush hunting. You learn something new everyday...
smile.gif

mostly is woods and cedar swamps but I like to sit on the power line cuts...can get 1/4 mile shots in some places.

Back