#1 Predator Hunting, Where would you live

Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: TonyTebbe
How in the world can a state keep track of coyote harvests? I've never hunted in a state that I had to report my year end kill on coyotes before.

AZ does it by mailing a survey to a random sample of licensed hunters to get estimates for the number of predators and small game harvested statewide. AZ also requires a hunting license to take coyotes. In states where a hunting license is not required to kill coyotes, I do not know how they could track hunter harvest.

I wonder how many really fill it out or lie about their numbers, just saying...I wouldn't think it would be an accurate way of keeping track.
unsure.gif

Texas has a lot of coyotes.......However....as mentioned earlier, the secret is access to public land, which is virtually non-existant here.

Chupa

Old Mexico talk about virgin ears lol...... 2nd choice well I would half to say wear I was born New Mexico but Nevada and Arizona are running a tight race! Then again right hear in Texas has been pretty good too us the last few years. As long as your out in the woods enjoying what you love any wear can be enjoyable . Skinner

Seth is right about Mexico. They don't practice predator control down there much. But, right now, you are as apt to catch a bullet as a coyote is...
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: TonyTebbe
How in the world can a state keep track of coyote harvests? I've never hunted in a state that I had to report my year end kill on coyotes before.

AZ does it by mailing a survey to a random sample of licensed hunters to get estimates for the number of predators and small game harvested statewide. AZ also requires a hunting license to take coyotes. In states where a hunting license is not required to kill coyotes, I do not know how they could track hunter harvest.

+1 this. In NV if we buy a furbearer trapping license, we get a survey at the end of the season which we have to fill out. It's not mandatory per se. However, you're asked to list the number of times you hunted, were you successful, where you hunted succesfully, what number of furbearers you took, etc. This is for reds, greys, kits, coyotes, bobcats, beaver and mink...maybe a few others.

A hunting license is not required for coyotes but a trapping license is for fox and bobcats even if you shoot them instead of trap them. www.ndow.org has the details.

Mind you that I'm not calling anyone misinformed but I have bought a Arizona hunting license every year since 1976 and have never been polled about anything but big game. I've been cheated!
Arizona has almost no predators left. I think that Uh......New Jersey could be the best state for predators.
Harvey7

Last edited:
ALASKA!!! They have the BIGGEST PREDATORS, and they have enough land to have as many bears and wolves as we have Coyotes in NM!

Originally Posted By: singlecoilJust pick a state with lots of public access. If you have to pay someone to hunt every time you go, you won't be able to go very often no matter how good the hunting is. More public access the better off you will be, from there just pick the climate you like the most. Enough coyotes to go around for everyone if you are willing to work a little harder for them.

Right idea there theys gotta have land to live on!

Originally Posted By: 12RingAZ for sure. Arizona has the most coyotes. New Mexico has the best hunters, making it look like NM has more coyotes.
smile.gif

That is pretty funny. Yeah, that's what everyone else in NM is saying, but I think people will be stoked this winter when the dogs finally have a more limited supply of food around. Right now its a smorgasbord!!!

Quote:Seth is right about Mexico. They don't practice predator control down there much. But, right now, you are as apt to catch a bullet as a coyote is...

Not as exiting as playing tag with insurgents, but for those that can't afford to hunt truly dangerous game it might add a little spice.
w00t.gif

Public land can be a mixed blessing. Arizona has a ton of it, but a lot is almost inaccessible due to terrain and that which is is heavily hunted. (smart yotes suck, am I right?). I'm hoping to get to Colorado soon where I have family with a large ranch. I'm sure I can schmooze them into letting me work it over a little. I heard stories from my wife's cousin a couple weeks ago about a 43 coyote weekend...but I think they cheated.

Arizona. This place is infested. I lucked on this great state when I got out of the Navy. Glad I don't live in California where I was raised. This is about the most gun friendly state and you sneeze and spook a coyote.

Everywhere has coyotes! I would just pick a state with the type of land you like to hunt on. If I had to move out of Colorado to a place just to hunt I would head north across the US boarder then I would be able to hunt wolfs!!! Some parts in CO are great for yotes and birds and some are better for elk and deer. But all the states that have been said are great. If you have a problem talking to people to ask to hunt their land I would go for a state that has alot of public land.

Originally Posted By: TnslimSeems like the Washington DC area is full of predators.......not sure about the legalaties of hunting them.
Season is way too short, need more than one day in November to "bag" that many.

Back