ammo for savage model 93 .17hmr

crosseyed

Just wondering what ammo you .17 hmr shooter's are using and what type of accuracy you are getting? I bought a savage model 93 last year for fox hunting and I have been having trouble trying to find decent shooting ammo. Most of my groups have been averaging 1" to 1 1/2" at 100 yards. The best I can get so far is 3/4" 5 shot group at 100 yards. I know that is pretty good for factory ammo but was kinda wishing for a little better consistency. Free floated the barrel yesterday and saw no improvement. What do ya think?

Get a trigger job or at least try to lighten up the factory trigger and you might try the Winchester brand ammo. It shot really well in my Marlin. An inch at a hundred ain't to shabby for a hummer though.

My Ruger likes the Hornady V-max, CCI TNT and 20gr.XTPs killed a fox last year one shot at 100yds. dead center in the chest fox went maybe 20yds. Let the rifle get broke in keep tryin different ammo and get back with us after you put 200 rounds through it.

I use the Hornady 17 grain Vmax in my savage 93 model as well and my groups at 100 yds are within a quarter on a calm day, wind plays a major factor on this small caliber.

I have the Savage SS bull barrel with thumb hole laminated stock. Winchester Supreme 17 GR v-max is the best I have found for accuracy and I have tried them all.

Even in the Savage with the SYN. Stock and blued barrel the Winchester Supreme 17 GR v-max shoot very well.I gave this one to my Daughter this past year.

I was disappointed in the accuracy I was getting when I first bought them ( I was shooting Hornady ammo at the time )so I called Savage and talked to them about the accuracy I was getting and Savage told me that they are made to shoot around a 1" group @ 100 Yds. and if I was getting that it was preforming up to par for the Savage rifles. I was getting getting 1" groups consistently with the Hornady ammo. When I switched to the Winchester ammo the groups shrank to dime size groups.

DAB

Most people can't hit 3/4 groups! For that type of shooting you need good glass and a good bench setup. One way to see if your rifle is capable of it it to use something like a lead sled, and a scope capable of zooming into 1/8" at 100 yards on a dead calm day.

After its established what it can do with you out of the picture, then its all on you! I get my most accurate shots from FMJ's for some reason.

I believe all HMR ammo is made by CCM to the different manufacturers specs.

Back