Is the 25-06 a quiet round?

NdIndy

I know, sounds weird. And I'm not talking dumb like asking if I can shoot it without ears.

This year was my first shooting the 25, I usually hunt a 30-06 or bigger bores. This year I've taken 4 big game animals (2 deer 2 goats)at ranges from 70 to 400+ yards, all prairie so no trees, and in each case they haven't been lone animals. There's been at least 3 others up to a large herd with them. In each case the herd response has been essentially nothing.

The most dramatic run was on a deer about a week ago, 1st shot (grossly underestimated range and I feel like [beeep] for it) gave a low hit, and the entire herd raced directly at me allowing me to finish her at about 70 yards with a 2nd round through the lungs and heart, thank God. I hate wounding an animal even for 30 seconds.

But the others, the herd either just watched the hit animal or at most ran 30 yards because of the hit animals actions. And they were on public land at ranges that if I farted loud I'd expect to see them hit the hills. I'm really used to seeing an entire herd sprint after a shot from a 30-06 so I'm wondering if the 25 has odd acoustics or if I just had a charmed year.

I know mine isn't quiet! But, I was told by someone that when the muzzle is pointed directly at an animal that it is difficult to tell where the shot came from. So, maybe after the shot, they didn't know where you were, and the flight instinct kicked in, and you were lucky to be in the right spot at the right time.

kevlars

I've had guys, (back when I lived in a different state) startle me by shooting at animals that were underneath me on hills. I was surprised at how hard it was to tell just where the shot came from. If they had talked(or farted) I think I would have been able to pick them right out.

Echo effect possibly. I shot at a pair of coyotes once that was bedded in a field and a wood line on the far side of them and just after the shot, I missed, they both jumped up and ran straight for me while looking over their shoulder at the far tree line. Got a second chance at them while on the run and missed again!

I never thought of my 25-06 as quiet
smile.gif
Sounds more like you have been charmed!

I've found that if the animal(s) don't know you are there and you shoot, they don't know where it's coming from or what to do. It seems to be hard for them to pinpoint just where shots are coming from unless they see you first. It's happened to me lots of times where I know the animal(s) don't know I'm there and when I shoot they are just confused. They get agitated usually but can't decide where to go. I've had them run towards me several times, the common factor is that they didn't know I was there. If they do, they'll run the other way.

I've also been watching deer or elk during the season and a shot will ring out pretty close by. Lots of times they don't even look up from eating. Other times though they will leave. Maybe it depends on how many bucks have been shot out of the herd that year, who knows. At any rate, my guess is that it has nothing to do with the caliber. It's not noticeably "quieter" than others.

I made an observation last fall when i was hunting goats in Montana that when I touched off a shot, all i heard was a muffled pop from my rifle. I'm shooting a Savage .25/06 with 100gr nosler ballistic tips over 50gr of benchmark. My ears never rang in all the shooting I did. I attributed it to the open spaces.. nothing to echo off of.

Originally Posted By: nofiveo I attributed it to the open spaces.. nothing to echo off of.

The difference can be amazing. A little .17HMR out of the bedroom window will make my ears ring but up on top of a hill with nothing to echo off of and I thought I had a misfire/dud.

Maybe this will answer your question in part. Twice in an area that is huge corn field (400 acres or more) bordered by a river at one end and two creeks that lead into it making it like a bowl. For some reason they cross this field in the middle especially when it is covered with snow. I believe that they feel save because they can see danger coming at a long distance. Twice I have had multiple kills in this field. First was a triple in less than 60 Seconds and a double that was a bang bang. I believe the echo coming off of the tree line had them totally confused. They also had no clue that I was there as my setup is done an hour before daybreak. This area is productive as the kill in this field last year was 18 coyotes. Not unusual to kill 2-3 coyotes in a morning at this field. Normal time spent in the blind at this location is 3 to 4 Hours with shots in the 200-325 Yrd range. If they stop the are DEAD.

Last time I fired one, it was very quiet. but then again, I had ear plugs in and muffs on top of those. Other than that, it sounds just as loud as most other centerfire rifle rounds. I actually feel that all centerfire rounds are essentially the same volume, the pitch changes with caliber though. That's just me.

Shot my first whitetail at a max range of 10 yds. with a 30-06. Heavy cover, probably 40 yard max shot possible in this area I was sitting. He ran a doe right up to me and bred her, when he got off I shot him right through the shoulders and dropped him on the spot. She just turned around and looked at him while he was giving his last kicks, did not see me or run until I stood up and started walking towards them. She did not act as if she even heard the shot.
Tuco

I'd say the 25-06 is loud but

I think it's not the sound that scares the animal, but your smell and the sight of people. They don't run around in a thunder storm or by plane noise or even car noise but they do get spooked or start moving with Sight and Scent

Back