Lee Collet Dies for hunting ammo

rickyb

OK guys I have two bolt guns that I reload for and all my brass has been fired in these guns. One is a 22-250 and one a 7mm STW. I am looking at getting the Lee Collet Dies because the brass is already fire formed to the chambers. I went out to there site and at the bottom of Collet Die description was this::::: This set is designed for assembling the most accurate ammunition, but is not recommended for hunting rounds as the case is neck sized only and the bullet is not crimped in case.:::::::::::: Now all I load for is to hunt I mean I shoot paper but may grab 20 rounds to hunt with to out of 50 I have loaded. My question would be since I have there deluxe die set that comes with a crimp die in the set can I use the collet dies and then run them through the crimp die and everything be OK or since I want to hunt with my ammo should I stay away from neck sizing with the collet dies. Why are they saying this?

Last edited:
All of my 204 and 243 ammo is sized with the Lee collet die and loaded with no crimp and I haven't had any problems. I can';t comment on any heavier recoiling rounds like your 7 STW though. Dave

Originally Posted By: rickyb I went out to there site and at the bottom of Collet Die description was this::::: This set is designed for assembling the most accurate ammunition, but is not recommended for hunting rounds as the case is neck sized only and the bullet is not crimped in case.::::::::::::

The absolutely most reliable and durable ammo will be full length sized and crimped (and primer pocket sealed), aka pretty much the way factory ammo comes. That's pretty much what Lee is getting at with the above statement. Whether or not it's that much better than a round with good neck tension and no crimp is the question.

For the vast majority of calibers crimping is unnecessary with good, reliable neck tension. For some of the hard recoiling magnums like your 7mm STW it can't hurt. For a big game hunting round the accuracy difference between full length vs. neck sizings probably a moot point. The potential for a "fire-formed" round to cause chambering issues is a bigger concern. A round that is on the tight side in your chamber could cause problems at an inopportune time.

I've used the Lee Collet dies in the past but haven't been that fond of them. If the necks aren't concentric I've found neck tension to be unreliable to the point where bullets could be removed by hand at times. Anymore I full length all big game rounds and full length or neck size with a non Collet die for varmint hunting.

Get the deluxe set, you get all three dies. The crimp die comes by its self, the deluxe set comes with bullet seater, fl die, and necker, the collet can be adjusted for more or less tension. ed

Last edited:
From http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2007/12/tips-for-using-lee-collet-dies/ Quote:LEE Collet dies don’t have a specific mechanical adjustment for neck tension.

Quote:If you want to adjust the neck tension using a Lee Collet die, you can simply chuck the mandrel in a drill and reduce the diameter with some sand-paper (to increase neck tension) or you can order a mandrel the next caliber larger and turn it to whatever diameter you want (the larger the mandrel diameter, the less the neck tension).

I'd be curious to see how bad the bullet runout is after someone attempts to turn down the mandrel with sandpaper and a drill. I'm sure anybody can feel those thousandths changes with their fingers.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: wdchuckhuntrFrom http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2007/12/tips-for-using-lee-collet-dies/ Quote:LEE Collet dies don’t have a specific mechanical adjustment for neck tension.

Quote:If you want to adjust the neck tension using a Lee Collet die, you can simply chuck the mandrel in a drill and reduce the diameter with some sand-paper (to increase neck tension) or you can order a mandrel the next caliber larger and turn it to whatever diameter you want (the larger the mandrel diameter, the less the neck tension).

I'd be curious to see how bad the bullet runout is after someone attempts to turn down the mandrel with sandpaper and a drill. I'm sure anybody can feel those thousandths changes with their fingers.
rolleyes.gif
I used a 0-1" Micrometer

Originally Posted By: HookedOriginally Posted By: wdchuckhuntrFrom http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2007/12/tips-for-using-lee-collet-dies/ Quote:LEE Collet dies don’t have a specific mechanical adjustment for neck tension.

rolleyes.gif
I used a 0-1" Micrometer

I was refering less to the ability to measure any given point accurately but more to the ability to accurately "sand down" all sides of the mandrel parallel and equidistant to the central axis. They can certainly be machined down accurately (which I believe LEE will do for a small fee) but many people don't have access to that kind of equipment otherwise.

Last edited:
I did not do a TIR Run Out on it either before or after, but generally, if it was good (round and concentric) to begin with that really shouldn`t change.You chuck the mandrel up in the drill and turn it, not as accurately as if you were using a lathe and collet chuck but similar.

oodchuckhunter,
I use a Lee collet die for necking and I did use a fine grade paper to take it down a touch. Spinning it in a battery drill reduced the circumference evenly when mearured with a .0001" accurate micrometer. I do think that if I didn't spin it in a drill and did it by hand there would be a problem there alright.

As to the question of using a Lee collet die for hunting ammo: I use it all the time and I only half neck. I guess the lawyers would have a heart attack if Lee said that, but I use it in a bolt gun and its 22-250. There is no need to crimp or have excessive neck tension. I did get a bit longer case life by using the collet die.

I bought duluxe set this year and the factory crimp for my Rem 7mag. The only things i can see about the not for hunting statement. Is one that your fired brass is formed to your guns chamber size may not fit another gun of the same caliber. The other is the neck sizing/tension I loaded up a couple of dummy rounds and i could push the bullet down into the case with my thumb very easy. So I could see the bullets moving on a hunting round if they got bounced around some.
I bought the dies to set up my seven for coyotes just to get it out to shoot. I've been able to work up a load with 120gn hornady varmit that is on par for accuracy with my Rem 222. Off the bench I've shot some groups under 1/2 inch. On the dies I did sand down the stem just a touch and with the crimp die 1/4 turn crimp.
J

It's dangerous to shoot loads you make up for one rifle in another. You get better accuracy if yoiu shoot neck sized rounds. You get better case life if yopu shoot neck sized rounds. Overly hard necks will be prone to not size down properly and will need annealing. If annealing doesn't cure it then put the little rod in a battery drill and sand it a bit 'til it holds the round real firm.

Back