Do coyotes eat apples?

GAP

I'm a newbie at this, just called up my first coyote two weeks ago. I see that coyotes are very opportunistic and will eat about anything. I live in a large apple producing county, and there is a bumper crop this year. I'm hunting an area of cattle pastures interspersed with apple orchards. There are a ton of apples on the ground and plenty of grasshoppers in the orchards and pastures. I see plenty of fresh coyote tracks in the dust, in and around the orchards, some apparently made the night before, however, I'm having difficulty getting any to respond to rabbit distress calls(other than the one two weeks ago).

I hope this isn't a stupid question but will coyotes eat apples and stuff themselves to the point of not responding to a rabbit distress?

Last edited:
Absolutely

PS000033.jpg

Coyotes eat all sorts of veggies and fruits, but since you mentioned grasshoppers it wouldn't surprise at all if they aren't in there stuffing themselves with mostly grasshoppers. It surprises many, but coyotes (especially young of the year) have a real acquired taste for 'hoppers and will gorge themselves on them in the fall of the year. You need a grasshopper distress call! LOL...
wink.gif

And cantaloupes, and watermelon and corn on the cob, and persimmons!!!

I had a local produce farmer contact me about coyotes damaging his crops. I thought "yeah right". He told me he had trail camera photos of them coming out of his fields carrying the goods. He showed me, "no BS," corn on the cob, watermelon,canteloupes, squash, you name it, I saw pictures of it walking outta there, everything he grew was being taking. They carry off the little watermelons and just bite into the bigs one and leave em.

A biologist said, if it will provide him with nutrition, he knows it, and he will eat it.

If their belly is full, there is no need to respond like they do on TV and in the videos, charging across the prairie with a half starved crazed look in their eye. Here in the east, they dine on the finer things in life, plus there is a rabbit, chipmunk, rodent under every other bush and there are bushes everywhere. Not like that poor desolate prairie where the next rabbit is three miles away in that next shelter belt way over there, MAYBE!.

Sorry, I got a little carried away. But sometimes a squeaky truck door will cause A coyote stampede in Utah and Nevada, thinking they found woger wabbit. roflmao

I had a grape/wine vineyard call me last year about coyotes eating the grapes on the vines. Like said, anything that provides nutrition and I think they like seasonal variety and eat what suits them as the season provides. But the grasshoppers give the "YOY" coyotes a meaty meal when they aren't the best hunters yet. That's why October and early November is such good calling, the first hard frost and freezes are killing the fruits/veggies/grasshoppers and they are now gone from the menu and it is time for "YOY" coyotes to sustain themselves on a diet of red meat. They can come as hard chargers in this time frame...
smile.gif

I had a cousin give me a call resently askin if I'd come over and take care of some yotes that were eatin his garden up, corn stalks pulled down and the ears eaten off, and as said earlier they had eaten the water melons also.

I think about the only difference of opinion on here pertaining to a coyote's diet is whether or not they will eat a dead coyote.
laugh.gif

This year's watermelon crop that a friend of mine planted was totally destroyed by coyote. I found that it was pointless to call over the watermelon field as the yotes just weren't having any of it. They were full on melons and had no desire to respond to a distress call. I tried calling the field several different times, with no results, yet the area was littered with yote tracks and scat....not to mention ruined melons. I then tried to get smart and just sit back and do no calling and see what happened the next time I sat the site. Again, nothing. Aside from bringing in a trail camera to determine the times they are eating the melons, there wasn't much I could do. However, the good thing is that I know that come colder weather when insects, mice, fruits, etc are harder for them to easily obtain, I'll be there with the distress calls.

Thanks for all the info here. I too am hunting an area with pretty good sign and a confirmation from the land owner, cattle farmer, and deer hunters in the area that there are lots of coyotes. I've confirmed that myself with all the fresh sign I keep running across.

It seemed to me to be reasonable to think that if his belly is full of apples(which are abundant) or anything else, and he's lounging under a shade tree, he's not likely to get up and run a quarter mile to get that rabbit he hears. If he happens to be close by perhaps he'll investigate, which may be what happened a couple of weeks ago. But if there is no incentive (hunger) then why put forth the effort?
Now why they won't respond to or answer a howl is a mystery.

I just know the lack of action couldn't possibly be linked to my newbie calling techniques!(wink/grin)

Funniest thing I saw last year was a oppossum eating a dead coyote. I am pretty sure it is usually the other way around. I havent really noticed the coyotes eating dead coyotes, I think they have too much other stuff to eat.

can we start em on a program to eat illegal aliens......?? they was robbing the figs off en' my buddy's fig bush earlier this year......

How funny would that be? a coyote's thinkin he'll have possum for supper and about the time he makes his move on the possum it jumps up and just tears into the coyote, ZOMBIE POSSUM style.

Hey...it could happen, or maybe I've been watchin to many scary moveis lately.

Originally Posted By: Terminator
can we start em on a program to eat illegal aliens......?? they was robbing the figs off en' my buddy's fig bush earlier this year......

Who was robbing the figs? The coyotes or the illegal aliens?

I have found the best bait for coyotes to be apples. I have tons of pictures on my trail camera of them eating apples.

i find they yotes come into the apple orchards but it may be due to the deer there also
i always see the yearlings and does there as its easy food and the yotes have good cover for stalking plus if theres no deer or rabbits or grouse they can eat the apples then

Back