1911 choice. What do you think?

dcp25

I'm looking at buying a 1911. I need to keep it under a thousand bucks. What is the best bang for my buck? I've been looking at a couple Kimber customs on gunbroker. I for sure want a 1911 but I'm not familiar enough with the differences between brands to pull the trigger on the purchase with confidence.

Get an older kimber off of gunbroker, not one that has a

II in the model number...you will be very happy.

One of the older "Royal's" are fantastic.

Also, the older KImber Stainless Gold Targets are very accurate.

Good luck

Get a Kimber... I love the ones I have.. Very accurate and you can buy off of gunbroker for less than $1000. You can find some nice used ones on there from time to time.

I was looking at Kimber almost exclusively but wanted to make sure. If you stumble across a good looking one PM me a link. Almost all the Kimbers on gunbroker have the II in the model. I've seen a couple that didn't but nothing I couldn't live without yet.

Last edited:
do yourself a favor and look at the taurus. The finish on mine came off in my serpa holster quite fast but other than that it is a FANTASTIC gun for the money! I have just under 3k rounds through mine and havnt had any malfunctions.

Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Smith & Wesson, and Sig all make 1911's that you'll be happy to show off with at the range and you can have confidence with it on the nightstand.

Originally Posted By: dcp25And don't tell my wife about this conversation....

Oooo that's gonna cost ya !
smirk.gif

Kimber gets my vote.

I had a REAL bad experience with a Springfield Champion, compounded by poor customer service. To hear tell, I was just the lucky one, but it is what it is.

Three Kimbers, zero problems. Insanely accurate. That is enough for me.

I would be curious to try on a Smith, especially a 1911PD.

I had a Springfield Champion as well and quickly sold it... I have a Kimber 10mm and love it....

The Taurus has all the bells and whistles at just over half the price of a Kimber and is pretty solid and almost as accurate...

I have a Kimber Custom Eclipse II and it is by far the most accurate hand gun I have ever owned.
You didnt say what the primary pourpose was, but if its every day carry you may want a different model unless its in a duty holster. mine is rather heavy w/5" inch barrel.

on the accuracy side in a ransom rest it shot every bit as well as a friends Wilson Combat,one ragged hole at 15 yrds, and at about 1/3 the price.

SSG RED

The guns purpose is gonna be a nightstand gun but I'll shoot it at the range a lot. Hopefully I'll never need to use it for self defense but that will be it's purpose. And Tim, if you started telling wives about stuff liked this a member might think of you as a "snitch" and try to "whack" you. It won't be me, I've seen you shoot coyotes and I don't recall many misses. Haha

I do appreciate all of your input. You confirmed what I was thinking but I like to check with you all on stuff I'm not very familiar with.

I like the Springfield gi For the money it's s good one. Except the sights are smaller. But I'm sure you would love a kimber

Last edited:
My carry gun is a Springer Compact, favorite range gun is a Kimber Eclipse Pro II, favorite gun safe queen is my 70 series Colt Gold Cup National Match

IMO Springfield is most gun for the money

Back