Fur, Horns, Mud, Blood...and Green Crap!!!

Ursus21

As we head out at dark-thirty Friday morning my partner Yotezapper mentions to me; "We haven't seen any deer yet." I commented that I had seen quite a few in the same area the night before driving in. Then not two minutes later WHAP! Yotezapper drills a muley yearling with the front right side of his bumper. Good thing he didn't swerve left or he would have dead centered a large doe. The deer dented the bumper and knocked the signal light loose. Did I mention Yotezapper had just bought the pick up and it was only the third time he's driven his 3/4 ton Chevy crew cab??? Not being one to let mishaps get him down Yotezapper just looks at his truck, and says: "Well it's broke in now, let's go hunt coyotes." Got to love a partner like that!

We get to our destination. I quietly slip out of the truck into the dark and let out a howl. Pretty quick we have coyotes howling back from several directions. We make a quick plan and decide to close the distance on some that will put the most elements in our favor...the wind being the main one. We get set up and I get to calling. After about 10 minutes a loan coyote comes loping in. Yotezapper drops her at 130 yards and so our day begins. The next stand is dry, but the after that I call in another female that both Yotezapper and I shoot at the very same time. Not 100% sure who hit it, but I'd tend to think it was Yotezapper, as he's a better shot at moving coyotes than I am. Either way we had a dead coyote so I'm not sure it really matters who shot it. We then make another dry stand or two, but see some nice muley bucks. We decide to try a completely different area. As we are getting set up Yotezapper mentions he has a good feeling about this spot. Hmmm, he might be right. I start calling and a herd of mule deer show up. I mess with calling them in and letting them go and calling them back in a few times. Finally I quit screwing around (much to Yotezapper's delight) and I get serious about coyotes again. We have a pair come in and they hesitate at a little over 100 yards. Big mistake, Yotezapper and I shoot at nearly the same second, dropping both coyotes. Schaaweeeet double! I turned to Yotezapper, grin and say: "Heck, it's only 9:30 and we already have 4 coyotes down and one mule deer."
wink.gif

We make a few more dry stands, Yotezapper tries to snuggle up with a rattle snake. Actually he laid down to set up prone on a stand and heard a buzzworm go off next to him. I didn't know he could go from horizontal to vertical so fast. Pretty impressive. Around noon we stopped and visited with the rancher that owns the land we were hunting on. After our visit we made one more dry stand and then set up over a really cool canyon. We both had a good feeling about it and I begin calling. Not too far into the call we have a pair of HARD CHARGERS going warp speed right at us. They come in just a bit too low for me to see them clearly but Yotezapper has the lead yote only 15 feet away. I tried everything to stop these coyotes when they hit the 100 yard mark, but they weren't stopping for anything but a bullet. Fortunately Yotezapper put a bullet in the big male and the smaller female escaped barely. Killing 5 out of 6 coyotes is a great day and some very good shooting in my opinion. I'm sure we could have called in more, but we had antelope to go scout.
TroyAdamsandCoryFossOct82010A.jpg

We scout the rest of the evening but don't see much to get excited about except for one pretty nice buck with a large group of does in a big wide open grain field.

Saturday morning around 4:00am I awoke to rain pounding off the window pane. The dang rain continued until about 10:00am. It really limited visibility, made finding antelope tough, and getting around in the clay based mud even tougher. In a word it SUCKED. Later in the afternoon, and thanks to two friends of Yotezapper's who showed us a buck on their place. I was able to kill my antelope at 320 yards. One shot, one kill, love it!
TroyAdamsAntelopeOct92010B.jpg

I do have to mention right here that Yotezapper's friends were two really great guys and I can't thank them enough for their generosity. After getting my antelope taken care of we set out to find one for Yotezapper. We really didn't see much and towards evening we decided to see if we could find the nice one from the day before while scouting. We found him although he and his does had moved about a half a mile, but he was in a more stalkable area. As we were trying to drive closer I saw another FRIGGEN monster rattle snake. Have I ever mentioned how much I HATE those things! We didn't stop to mess with it though as we were in hot pursuit of the buck. We found a place to hide the truck, made a fairly long stalk, and got set up on the buck. I ranged him at 330 yards and Yotezapper made a perfect double lung shot with his new Weatherby Vanguard .308.
CoryFossAntelopeOct82010.jpg

Good ol' Yotezapper got in a bit of a hurry gutting his buck and made a fatal mistake. He knicked the stomach and witnessed an atomic "green-crap" explosion. Stomach content blew at least 4 1/2 feet in the air. It was spread from Yotezapper's nose to the tip of his boots. Fortunately it exploded away from me, but directly at Yotezapper. Being the good friend I am I nearly choked to death laughing. Laughed even harder when the first printable words out of Yotezapper's mouth were: "Well at least my mouth was shut."
laugh.gif

Nasty, nasty green stuff...
CorysFoot.jpg

Despite the green explosion it was a super fun weekend. Thanks again Yotezapper for the great company and super time. I will remember that as one of the funner weekends I've had in a long time.

Yotezapper's antelope on the left and mine on the right. Although mine looks like it has longer horns it doesn't. Yotezapper's curls really hard, mine kind'a goes straight up making it look bigger than it really is. Both are great antelope though. Mine was 15 1/8" on both side and Yotezapper's was 16". Good times, good friends, and good hunting!
CoryandTroysBucksOct82010.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant beat that with a stick for a fun weekend,,, Just let me know when my turn is to make a hunt like that with you? LOL

What a weekend you two had. I have been in that country and I know that rain and eastern Montana does not mix. Suprised you could even get around. I suspect there are camps out there that are still waiting for things to dry out. I was out in SW Montana and not a drop of rain all weekend. Distress or howling worked better?

Tony I gave prey in distress an honest shot, but it would not produce. I then noticed there were grasshoppers every where, as well as, grass hopper parts laying all over the ground. With that I decided that perhaps coyote howls were likely the way to go. Seemed to be the right choice.
wink.gif

Wow that looks like a heck of a lot of fun. WEll all except for the deer the rattlesnake and the gut bomb explosion. But even that doesn't sound half bad. Great pics too. Good job guys!!!

Troy, you and Cory certainly live in God's country. I can't wait to get out there for mulies and maybe get into some of those fluffy coyotes as well.

Cory, congrats on both the excellent shooting and all the animals. Hopefully we can get together for a hunt when I'm out that way in Nov. And sorry, if i was out there when your goat exploded, I would've just added to all the laughing!

Way to go guys!

Tim, I don't think we'll make it out to where Cory lives, and he will likely be off chasing elk around anyway, but we will certainly try and find some critters around here. Pretty sure we will be able to. Thought of you a lot on this last trip. Many of the coyotes stands we made were in the same exact places you and I went, along with a few new one's you would have loved.

Thanks for posting this Troy It will go down as one of my funner weekends as well. Every now and then I think that I get a whiff of that green stuff, my boots are still lying outside on the driveway right where I took them off. Good calling too, there would have been no good shooting without that part so give yourself a pat on the back.

Switch: I would have laughed at me too. Talk about cover scent!

flyinlizard1, could have easily enough added the snake, but didn't take the time to mess with it...and didn't really want to. Now on the other hand, and a lot more appealing, we could have added cottontail rabbits, pheasants, grouse, and huns to the pile if somebody hadn't of gone all bunny-hugger on me.
wink.gif

Ya I WAS for sure green, I will slow down a little while gutting next time. Ursus I would have stopped to kill a few of those birds we kept seeing but I didn't want to drop our shooting percentage. Should I say, that shotguns are not our strong suite
smile.gif

Troy your write up and pics are just as good as your art work but Im more partial to your art work because I have that coyote drawing up over my computer so I get to see several times a day...
wink.gif

Great job my friend...

Chad

Back