White tipped tails and black tiped tails.??

Pack_Wolf

I killed several coyotes in an area and their tails were white tipped. Also some have been black tipped in the same area.
What is the correlation??

My white tiped were younger yotes. I couldn't imagine that they would turn into a black tip as they got older.
I thought sub species or prairie yote vs a mountian yote. I am in a boundary area for both.

I agree 100% with Ursus21. A couple years ago, I called in 4 coyotes as a group. I dropped the two lead coyotes. Both were males with white tip tails. One old and one pup. I came to believe it was a small family group and it was a father/son. They made an impressive pair.

Tony

Originally Posted By: Westonsome people say the white tips are older coyotes or two pointers

Jay Nistetter coined the term "Two Pointer" because they were different than most coyotes that didn't have a white tipped tail. Pretty rare, but from what I can tell, the two pointers are pretty much in all geographic areas.

So, if you are calling and kill a "Two Pointer" you can call them just that because it's not your run of the mill coyote, and SHOULD count as two points.
lol.gif

I have seen several around here that have white rings but go back to black at the very tip. In fact, one of my dogs is that way. It can' really be age because he is only 3 years old and has always been that way.

In fact, I'll coin the term 3 pointer for these..
grin.gif

( No shooting my dog though.
tt2.gif
)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jackjackerCan somebody clarify this point system? I'm not familiar with it and I haven't found any good resources on the internet.

That's because it is not significatnt, and the point system thing is a joke. I thought that was explained in the thread. Most coyotes have blacked tipped tails, a few have white tips. It's just not as common, oh well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jackjackerCan somebody clarify this point system? I'm not familiar with it and I haven't found any good resources on the internet.

Gary it dont mean anything...Nobody discovered or coined this sort of thing, this has been going on longer than anybody thats alive on this forum
laugh.gif
...Just a hoax...Ive killed white and black tail tipped coyotes here in the east and out west....The rare coyotes are the black colored coyotes and the red colored coyotes and Ive even seen a couple yellow colored....Ive killed a red colored but no black...Its just a genetic thing...
wink.gif
Its all good!
thumbup.gif

Gary, missed your call this evening, no signal...Ill call you tomorrow you, you coyote killer you!
thumbup1.gif

Chad

Originally Posted By: Chad Walk
Gary it dont mean anything...Nobody discovered or coined this sort of thing, this has been going on longer than anybody thats alive on this forum
laugh.gif
...Just a hoax...Ive killed

Not true, Chad. While there have been white tipped tail coyotes around for as long as there have been coyotes, Jay did indeed come up with the phrase "Two Pointer" to describe them.
Perhaps he will see this and relate the story about how that all came about.
wink.gif

I think its a cool tradition and we should stick with it..kind of like shooting a double bearded tom.. The two for one special for coyote hunters.

Originally Posted By: dog1whckrCJD Ever wonder what your dog is doing late at night during the winter?

No, but I have a good idea what his Momma did and it was with a Coyote.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: rockinbbarOriginally Posted By: Chad Walk
laugh.gif
...Just a hoax...Ive killed

Not true, Chad. While there have been white tipped tail coyotes around for as long as there have been coyotes, Jay did indeed come up with the phrase "Two Pointer" to describe them.
Perhaps he will see this and relate the story about how that all came about.
wink.gif

No I believe that Barry
thumbup1.gif
...I was talking about contest and such...The points are the same no matter what kind of different characteristics a coyote has from the contest that I have seen or been in....Sometimes I word things wrong, it was 4am when I commented on that this morning
tired.gif
laugh.gif
....Its all good....
smile.gif
wink.gif

I have heard the term 2 pointer though...

Chad

This makes me think about years ago when I was younger I used to be a die hard groundhog hunter and I noticed that the really big hogs that after I shot them I would pick them up by the tail and it would make a cracking noise from the weight of the groundhog...After that if I shot or seen a really big groundhog I would say thats a "tail cracker" for sure! Im pretty sure I came up with that term because people didnt know what the h3ll I was talking about! I called all groundhogs "tail crackers"!
lol.gif

Chad

OK… Here’s the history on the 2-Pointer Coyote.

Some time back around 1980 I was hunting with long time friend (JB).
We hunted most everything together.
We would take several different guns because we never knew whether we were going to hunt dove, quail, pigeon, ducks, coyotes or rabbits. We generally switched games throughout a day of hunting. We would sneak up to a pond to jump ducks, run into a covey of quail or settle in to call for coyotes, fox and bobcat because there were no ducks or quail. And… We would generally compete against each other.

One day while we were dove hunting, one of us shot a whitewing dove. Whichever one of us did, said that he just shot a “2-Pointer” just to get that one-upmanship status. It stuck and from then on all morning doves automatically became 1 point and whitewings became 2 points. Some times when doves are flying hot and heavy, we found ourselves passing on the morning doves and picking out the whitewings because anybody can shoot a standard dull-colored morning dove. It takes a keen eye and skilled shooting to pick out the 2-Pointers. It was a game we played.

This quickly bled over into other areas of hunting. We shot lots of pigeons at dairy farms and feed lots. Pigeons with lots of white became 2-Pointers. We found ourselves looking closer at details and selecting our shots more carefully. It became a matter of skill and pride to get more 2-Pointers. White markings on wild game seemed to stand out.

The only thing that set a coyote apart from all others was not age, weight or sex but we noticed that very few had prominent white-tipped tails. These became our 2-pointers. There were times when more than one coyote was coming in that rather than taking the easy one first, we were searching for that “2-Pointer”. It’s not that we could ever tell if any moving coyote had a white-tipped tail or not, but competitive nature kept us trying. Consequently many got away because we waited too long.

So… When other people hunt with me, they will occasionally shoot a white tipped coyote and I point out that they just shot a 2-Pointer. This really stuck and has sorta made it around. Last year Brent Rueb had 2-Pointer prizes during the St. Francis Hunt.

Reference to the “2-Pointer” has even surfaced on a couple videos and TV episode.

That’s the story of the "2-Pointer" Coyote.

Last edited:
We use the two-pointer phrase for white tipped tails on our video too. We'll make sure we mention Uncle Jays scoring system from now on. LOL! We usually kill half a dozen or so a year with white tips. Good Stuff.

Back