Stevens 200

getfoxy

Im really wanting to pick one of these up but they dont offer a single caliber I want. I want either a .204, or a 17 remington, ....Is there anyway I could get the gun in say a .223 and have it rebarreld? Im no expert and would like to know some possible route I could take...btw not a handloader so no wildcats..any help is greatly appreciated

I have a stevens 200 that started out as a 22-250. It has been a 204 and now it is a 17 rem. I bought the wrench and change the barrels myself. I had to change the bolt head and magazine box when changing from 22-250 to the 204, but that was easy also. Buying one in 223 would be the easiest way to go.

If you got it in 223, all you would need is a barrel and it can be changed. I just recently rebarreled a Stevens 7mm-08 to 220 swift

You can get any caliber but if you got the 223 you would have to change the mag box and bolthead. I would get a 22-250, 308, 7mm-08 so all you would have to do is change barrels

If you go from 223 to 220 Swift, your gonna need a different bolt head also. If you get the 7mm-08, you'll be OK with just a barrel swap.

They come in 3 boltface sizes, 223, 308, and magnum. If you get a 223 boltface you can swap in a 204 or 17 fireball/remington. The 308 boltface is usable for all the cartridges based on the 308, 30'06, and the Mauser family. The magnum boltface fits the case head of a 7mm Rem Mag up to a 458 Win Mag, but magazine becomes an issue with the big belted magnums.

I think you need to get two!! Ha ha.

I have the .223 and it's a real shooter. I've been thinking about a rebarrel to 6x45 in that one, but then I would lose a good shooting .223. Decisions, decisions.

The 7mm-08 cartridge is inherently accurate, so you may end up liking it so well that you wouldn't want to rebarrel.

Let me ask this. My tc venture 22-250. Could I do the same with it. 220 swift, or 17 Remington? Do I need the barrel bored or sleeved or just a drop in from hart of lijah..etc. What's the best route?

Nevermind I think I'm starting to figure it out. 22-250 to a 220 swift requires just a barrel change. But a 22-250 to a 27 Remington requires a mag change and bolt head change. Any other caliber you guys would maybe to from a 22-250 platform

The barrel swap is only easy to do on Savages and their wannabes (Marlin XL7 and Mossberg 100-ATR). They use a barrel nut to headspace instead of needing to be turned on a lathe. Also, Savage bolt faces can be easily swapped, where most bolts are one piece, and either require milling or an entire new bolt. If you want to get into the 17 centerfires, get a Stevens 200 or Savage Edge and a drop in barrel from ER Shaw. To do the barrel swap you need a nut wrench and an empty case in the desired cartridge, screw the barrel on with case in action, then lock it back down with the barrel nut.

I think that instead of going through all of that for a 17 Remington, I would just buy a CZ in 17 Rem. My buddy has a CZ in 204 that shoots like a dream. I'm just sayin'.

kevlars

Originally Posted By: DeathPenalty If you get a 223 boltface you can swap in a 204 or 17 fireball/remington.

Or even 221 Remington Fireball, which is what I did with a Stevens 200.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Bolt heads are cheap and easy to change. Just buy a different bolt head to match the caliber and wa-la, you got a switch barrel rifle. Bolt heads run about 40 bucks and are easy to change out.

Back