Wyoming bow season

HighPlainsDrifter

Took me a while to get around to it but I thought I would post some pictures of me and my hunting partners 2010 September bow hunting adventure. Got to camp on the 8th of September hunting in the Wyoming Wind River Range. This is a General License area (over the counter tags), all on National Forest public lands.

The first week or so of our trip things were a bit slow. Called in several bulls but the action was not fast and furious. The Elk were only semi responsivto calling. Strange how it works but on the 15th it was like someone flipped a switch. the action started to heat up and the bulls were very responsive and very active. On the morning of the 17th we had two bulls bugling from two different directions. Both were hot and both were coming. It was the perfect setup. Two bulls coming in, both thinking they were in competition for a hot cow. I set up out front and my buddy started calling. Several minutes later a satellite 5X5 made his appearance and came to about 12 yards. He stopped with a tree in between us and I had no shot. He realized something was wrong and spun to leave at which time I drew and issued a soft mew. He stopped and turned broadside at about 30 yards, quartering away pretty steep. I put my 30 yard pin behind his last couple of ribs and triggered the release. I watched the Easton full metal jacket tipped with a Grim Reaper bury to the fletch and quickly cow called. He trotted 20 yards, stopped, side stepped and tipped over dead. The second bull was still screaming so I quickly got on the call and my buddy and I switched positions. A 300 class 6X6 strolled into view and my buddy came within a hair of getting the shot but it was not to be. In hindsight, having two bulls down in the same spot might hyave actually been a bad thing considering the relatively mild temps.

Three days later (Sept 20th), Joe and I were working our wa y through some timber on a windy afternoon when I heard the sound of cows in front of us. Joe didnt hear it and I grabbed him by his pack from behind and stopped him. I whispered there were cows in front of us and softly called on my hyper lip single. The bull gave a soft grunt in response which Joe didnt hear either. I told him to nock an arrow and I backed off about 50 yards before calling again. There was a small rise between me and the bull but I could clearly see Joe come to full draw so I called again trying to stop the bull I could not see. Joe let one fly and I heard the tell tale plop of an arrow finding its mark. I quickly called while the bull crashed off through the trees. Joe was not confident in the shot saying he didnt think he got good penetration so we gave the bull an hour before moving forward to look for blood. Joe was wrong because we found the bull piled up less than 60 yards from his shot with a high double lung hit. Two elk down in three days.

With both elk tags filled and the meat properly taken care of, we broke camp, got in the trucks and left the Wind River Range for our next destination. I had drawn a coveted Shiras Bull Moose tag west of our current location.

We arrived at our newest spot and found another buddy who had a rancher friend in the heart of my area. They had located a monster bull chasing cows in the willows of the Green River Valley. We found the bull bedded in some willows and my stalk stalled at 40 yards. Brad ranged the bull and grunted to get him on his feet. I drew as the bull stood but didnt think I had a shot because he was standing behind a large willow. Brad whispered that there was a small window in the willow that afforded me a shot to his lungs. I centered the pin and just as I released the bull spun to leave. The arrow flew to the exact spot I aimed for but much to my horror, his vitals were no longer there. I watched the arrow bury to the fletch but unfortunately, forward of the shoulder. I was not happy but I hoped for the best. The blood trail was unreal and I did not believe that any animal could go far leaking like that. To make an already long story shorter, we followed the blood until it got too dark and backed out. The next day I went back in and followed the blood until there was no more. As we were searching the area we jumped the bull again and he still had plenty of life. He trotted past, arrow no longer in him, like nothing ever happened. Two miles up river he was still on his feet and moving out of the country. This was roughly 18 hours after I had stuck him and despite the blood I found at first I had to hold on to the belief he would survive the bad experience. Man what a toad though. That bull would have easily scored high in the B&C record books.

Later that afternoon I located another bull, this one respectable, bedded in the willows. I was able to sneak within 15 yards and I drew as the bull stood up. This time I center punched his vitals with another Grim Reaper and the bull went less than 30 yards before collapsing and expiring.

The rancher brought in his John Deer tractor and hauled the 1200 lbs plus bull out of the willows and to my camp saving me alot of work. This rancher asked me for nothing and hauled my moose out in one piece, then hung him so we could skin and cape him. I grabbed my pack and pulled off my Taurus Tracker .44 magnum that I carry for Grizzly's. I handed the revolver to the rancher and told him he was now the proud owner of a .44 magnum and thanked him for everything. It was worth it to me.

What a September and what an archery season. One I will not soon forget. My first Shiras moose and my 15th Elk in 15 archery seasons. God has been good to me. Enjoy the pictures.

DSC01063.jpg

My rag horn 5X5

DSC01066.jpg

Joes nice 6X6

DSC01076.jpg

DSC01074.jpg

My bullwinkle

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back