Carver call does it again!!!

JoeNovosel

Well...as some of you read before I got a call from Kerry. I finally got some time of work to go out and test it out.

First stand of the morning, I setup with my dog sitting there with me. I wait a few minutes for it to calm down. As soon as I start to call I look around and see a coyote out in a field mousing around. I keep watching it for a little. This stubborn coyote will not budge from his field. Finally I get it to start moving my way. As soon as it gets close his head jerks up and he turns around and hits the jet's. Just around the corner comes a county sheriff!!!

Stand 2...I get to a spot I have called and missed before with kinda low hopes since I missed last time. I start to call. Maybe blow the call 5 times and I have a coyote running my way(must be young to come in so eager). I get set and have it in the scope as I'm watching this coyote come in. Of course it heads in from the one area I thought it would not try. There was a 10 foot ledge of rocks to my right. I figured no coyote was that dumb. Well, I called the dumbest of the dumb. It comes up below the rocks. Right out of sight. I hear it scratching and trying to climb the rocks to no avail. Finally it gives up and comes around to my blindside with my truck behind me. This coyote passes my truck and sneeks up behind me. Once it saw my dog it caught on to us and sat about 6 feet in front of my truck barking at us. My dog takes off( I think after the coyote) and hides under the truck. Coyote takes off and dissapears in some brush.

Stand 3 I setup in some rocks and brush. Got the dog with me. I start calling and calling. Nothing really shows up. i get up to leave and from the distance I hear a coyote star tto bark at me. I look around and finally spot it. It's in a little water ditch that is heading my way. I set back down and get the coyote in the scope. I got a good visual of it now. So I think it's good and take the shot. I hit the coyote in the front leg just below the knee and tore the leg off. The coyote took off on three legs into the ditch and went into a hole before I could get another good shot on it. I was never able to recover this one.

Stand 4...Blank

Stand 5 I'm driving down the road and thinking it's time to head home. I'm heading by one of those spots that you just have to call. I park and get the dog out. We go setup in some brush being really concealed with a complete view of the valley. My dog is acting really funny on this one sniffing around really good. I look behind us and notice a really fresh pile of coyote droppings. I know one is close now. I start calling and almost immediatly One pops up out of the brush and gets out on the road I was driving down. It comes up the hill al little gets hidden in the brush but I know where it has to come out. I'm trying to ge the dog to notice it with very little luck. Finally the coyote pops out just as planed. It's aboout 50 yrds away, in the open field. My dog still is not noticing(or at least not appearing to notice). I take the shot, It looks like a great shot to me, bt the coyote takes off like a bat out of h*ll. I'm thinking oh my how did I miss that!!! WEll...I see the coyote taking off and get a good sight, a good lead. Right as I get ready to shoot again It makes one last ditch effort ti hide and jumps headfirst into a big thicket of brush. ALLRIGHT!!! it's down. I take the dog over to see it and take some pics. As I get my dog close to it she tucks her tail and will not even look at the coyote.

I decided to call it a day, as soon as I get to the truck and pack the stuff up about 30 yrds away a truck pulls out of the next canyon. This means the coyote had to run past it to get to me!!
As were heading home Right in the middle of the road I notice a huge tarantula just walking down the road without a care in the world. I pull up to it and take a few pics. as I'm taking a pic of it the spider is still heading towards my truck. It gets next to my tire and starts to climb up it. I think it's because of the heat from the engine or something.

All in all it was an awesome day hunting. Kerry that call is amazing. I'll try to post some pics now...we will see.

I liked that story. HaHa, my dog is a big puss too. He weighs 90 lbs and the cat eats out of his bowl. When the cat is done, then he can eat. He is also afraid of thunder an lightning, guns, the lawn mower, plastic bags, and stuffed deer heads. He used to be afraid of the blower but now he likes it. I wish I could break him of all that so he could go more places with me.

Back