Guys My Heart Has Been Broken..

getemclose

Guys, as I type this tears are still sreaming down my face, I have some terrible news. This morning my dad, brother, and my dads brother went out to do some pheasant hunting. Chuck, My dads 3 year old pride and joy german short hair flushed a rooster, The bird was going from left to right as my dad shot he crippled the pheasant. A half a second later my dads brother shot not realizing that chuck was right on the roosters heels. Chuck took a pellet to the heart and died in the field.

I cant begin to express how sad I am right now. This dog was my dads pride and joy, He was out training him every night. He spent most all his free time with this dog, he is absolutely crushed right now. He is still in tears. My family is not rich by any means And I dont know if my dad will be able to purchase another dog for a long while. I dont know what to do, Im still crying for him. Im deeply sadened. This dog meant everything to my dad and know he is dead because of another mans carelessness.

Please, please please pray for my dad. Bird hunting is my dads passion of all passion and he has just been knocked out. He wont be able to bird hunt at all this season without his dog. I am accustomed to him being out every single weekend of the season and now I dont know what he will do. This a terrible situation, I might take on a job plus college to try to buy him a "ready" 3 year old. I dont know what to do. This is a terrible situation right now.

Please pray for my dad, his name is Darren.

yes he does, it was an honest accident.. Im going coyote hunting, I need to get a way for a while.. This is tough on me because of how much he meant to my dad.

That's awful. I'm very sorry for your family.
cry.gif

Sorry about your Dads Buddy. I'd be heartbroken as well. Wouldn't know what to do without mine. Think about it every time out. It's a terrible thing to have to go through.

So sorry for your dad's loss.
Although it's never intentional, it happens.
A buddy of mine killed his own dog when it jumped off of an embankmet right in front of his gun jast as he fired.
He quit hunting for three years.

Check with your local Nastra or any other Bird Dog clubs in your area.
Ours local club which holds Amature as well as Nastra trials has an online news letter that folks often post dogs that they can no longer keep due to jobs and such, or ones that are found in the field. (There's actually a nice Gordon Setter on it right now). A dog doesn't always have to cost a fortune or have a pedigree a mile long to make a good meat dog.

The Flying B Ranch (A well known bird hunting destination) in our area also gives away dogs that get a little to old for the rigors that are required for them but still have lots of miles left on em for the average guy. Maybe check with the guides/outfitters in your area too. Ya never know.

Luck

Thats to bad, I am sorry for his loss. I know how it is. I lost my male Jagd to a stroke and it really hit home with me and my son. Hope he gets a new dog to hunt with soon.

Tim

I am so sorry to hear this Mitch. I can sense the deepest sorrow in your writing when you posted this. I'll pray for him.

Tony

Very sorry for your Dad, you and your uncle. He'll carry a lot of guilt for this even though it was an honest accident.

I send a prayer that you find a way to deal with the terrible situation and hopefully you'll find another new dog.

Well, I just walked in the door, my dad is already in bed sleeping which is not like him. Its been a rough day for him!. Thanks for all the prayers guys they mean a whole [beeep] of a lot..

Im GOING to get him a new dog. I cant live with myself knowing that My dad doesnt have a dog.. Im selling my boat. It has to be done. Thanks guys.

Hi,

Maybe you should talk to your dad first. Maybe he would prefer a pup he can train himself. A well bred shorthair pup can be had for $200 here in Iowa. Personally my pleasure comes from the training at least as much from the hunting itself.

Reed

I'm SOOO.. sorry for your dad. I have lost a few dogs (friends) over the years that have had a special place in my heart.
One due to cancer. Rest in peace Gyp.
One due to the road. Dudley, you were a special friend.
One, Bud, I gave to a 3 year old kid 'cause he was the ONLY person other than me that could touch that pup. Dudley drove that kid's grandmother nuts trying to pet him. He wouldn't allow it. Even when she fed him some fresh fried chicken.
She was an old black woman that REALLY LOVED her little animals. And, took real good care of them.
She told me once "Deys only two people in 'dis world can touch 'dat dog. You and 'dat grandyoung'n a' mine. An' I feeds him reaaaaal good".(Fresh fried chicken ,Pork chops whatever she was having for supper). She was a special Lady. I miss her too.
As we go through life we have people, dogs, horses, and other animals that touch our lives. Quite often we out live them. But, at some point in time our friends will out live us. I hope they don't miss me as much as I miss them. 'Cause sometimes it's pretty tough on the heart.

Your dad will have wonderful memories of his lost friend. And, I am sure your dad will find another friend with whom he will build new memories.
If I had a pup to send to your dad he would be on the way there as I type this. There is nothing in this world that can heal a broken heart like a new pup.

Gene Hill once said: (I know I'll screw it up but you'll get the idea) "Whoever said 'Money can't buy happiness' forgot about buying that puppy"

"Lord, I pray that one day I can be half the man my dog thinks I am."

Last edited:
I must add I find it hard to believe your uncle was being careless. I have seen a lot of dogs jump at the pheasant trying to catch them. I'm surprised there are not more dogs killed this way.
Things happen sometimes. No matter how careful we try to be. I'm sure he feels really bad right now.

I am also sorry for your dads loose, i have a dog that lives in the house with us ,and dont know what i would do if i lost him. Tell your dad our prayers go out to him.

Sorry Nc your write, it was an accident I was just pretty emotional after it happened.

Im sheetrocking a house and have a pup picked out for my dad
smile.gif
. a few more 12 hour days and it will be headed my way
smile.gif

thanks for the prayers guys..

Last edited:
Back