Replacement stock for Remington 700 VTR .204 question

p5200

Anyone know if this stock will fit or not and has anyone tried this if so? Also, was it worth the trouble? Thanks!
smile.gif

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=486263

Yep, should fit fine. Not sure what "trouble" would be involved. Pretty easy to swap the stock out and the B&C has to be better than the factory tupperware stock.

Originally Posted By: PeteyHave 2 vtr 204 and 22-250 both have B&C tactical varmint stocks, fit perfect no problems. Just curious, how accurate are these guns before, and after stock upgrades? The reason I ask is while searching the net, I ran across a lot of conflicting reviews. Just didn't want to invest a lot of money in the gun if they won't do at least MOA. and I will be reloading. I realize, all guns of same make and model are different just looking for general answers. Others, are welcome to chime in with there personal results with their rifles it would be much, appreciated!
smile.gif

Why not shoot the VTR with the factory stock first. Buy the B&C and do a swap and shoot it again. Accuracy should be as good or better I would think. If you don't like the B&C after you get it, sell it and get your money back. I had one on a Rem. 204 and it seemed like a good stock. I had -0- problems with it.

Swapped out the stock on my VTR with a H-S police stock. Had to open up the stock a little for the X-Mark Pro Trigger.but I like the feel of the stock and seemed to help with flyers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: p5200
Petey said:
Have 2 vtr 204 and 22-250 both have B&C tactical varmint stocks, fit perfect no problems. Just curious, how accurate are these guns before, and after stock upgrades? The reason I ask is while searching the net, I ran across a lot of conflicting reviews. Just didn't want to invest a lot of money in the gun if they won't do at least MOA. and I will be reloading. I realize, all guns of same make and model are different just looking for general answers. Others, are welcome to chime in with there personal results with their rifles it would be much, appreciated!
smile.gif
[/quote

Your VTR should be doing MOA from the factory if not there is probably some user error going on. Are you shooting reloads or factory ammo? I have 2 VTRs that both shot under MOA and my 204 VTR is more like 1/2 MOA if I do my part

love my VTR in 308, shot moa out of the box after break in. bedded the tupperware stock, floated the barrel and shrunk the groups even more. I wont be parting with this gun.
cracker

I guess I should have mentioned, the gun is new and I haven't even shot it yet sorry folks I just scoped it today. I was just curious in case I have issues with the factory stock. I've read so many mixed reviews on the accuracy of the VTR models on the net and was wondering just what the percentage rate was of the shooters vs. the lemons. Thanks. Also, I will be re loading.
smile.gif

Last edited:
yeah most of the problems people are having arent with the actual stock they put these little circluar "contact" points that feel like rubber but some people argue about barrel harmonics are getting messed up blah blah they are the only thing preventing the barrel to be free floating it seems most people that have the issues have been resolved by removing these "contact points"

I have a fairly new Model 7 Predator in 243. I put in a Timney trigger, mounted a scope & should be at the range later this A.M.. I am not overly impressed with the factory stock but want to give it a try 1st. I had to do some minor material removal for the new trigger so a little more around the barrel won't be a big deal. Since the camo is all matched up I'll try to stick with the factory stock.

I shot my Model 7 Predator today. All went well & I will just leave the factory stock on. To the original poster, did you ever give the trigger any attention? Mine had that new 'X-Mark Pro' trigger & I wasn't all that impressed with it. If your trigger is close to stock, I'd start with some attention there 1st.

Last edited:
I would go out and shoot it too start with before you ever dropped any kind of money on a new stock! Then I would try all your reloads and after you get your load down. After that if you still can't get tight enough groups let someone else shoot it that can make one ragged hole, If he/she can't then I would remove the contact points like was said above and if that didn't help I would buy the B&C stock. Unless of course you don't like the factory stock and prefer the looks of the B&C then just buy it lol.

You bought one the best known rifles out there and it should be at least MOA if not better out of the box! Just remember almost all rifles won't one hole cheap ammo. You reload so try different bullets/powders and see what YOUR GUN wants to shoot and don't try and make it shoot what YOU want it too. I have never been able to make one hole myself but hand my rifle with my reloads to my coworker and it makes one hole! I know my gun can out shoot me so I know all the missed shots are me and not my rifle and I can live with that!
lol.gif

I should receive the rest of my needed things today so I can measure my chamber length and start trying to work up a good load the gun likes still, haven't shot it yet. All I was able to turn was the pull weight screw and, I think I may have buggered the hex screw for the sear adjust.
frown.gif
Just guessing, I think the trigger pull is around 3lbs. haven't checked it yet though but at least it's nice and crisp. Thanks for all the great advise and feel free to keep it coming as I'm always glad to learn!
thumbup1.gif

Back