Scariest cougar pic I've ever seen

Who ever created the photo did a fairly good job....and apparently has a quality photo program that allows the overlay of multiple images...

I pulled up the photo on my program and like others, started to believe it might be real until I got down around the Cougar's feet and their placement on the terrain, it is just too level and above the ground foliage...but the overlay of the branch across the Cougar's ear is really good..

If you look at the limb going across the Cougar's head the photo shopper did a poor job of drawing it in. It is an obvious fake. Not even a good photo shop as a few have claimed. Poor attempt at best.

I don't have any issue with the placement of the cat. It looks like the slope flattens out down where the cougar is, and it also looks like the cougar is standing in a trail through the underbrush. The focal plane on the cougar's feet is also similar to that of the surrounding brush. Like I said, if it's a fake, I think somebody went to a lot of trouble to lug a full body mount out into the woods with them, but people have gone to much more trouble than that for a hoax (Balloon Boy comes to mind).

I certainly don't think it's impossible for a cougar to come this close to someone, as I've known people that it has happened to.

Pics are easy to Fake, Especialy these days when all you need is a cell phone and an app.

1286469701.jpg

t/c223encore.

My observation is the light from the camera flash should be as bright to the left and right in the pic but it seems to be much brighter on one side.....there should not be so much shadow where the cat is......Jim

Not really sure if it is fake or not, but I am sitting here watching "beyond the hunt". He was talking about lions moving into the area. He set up some trail cams. As they were showing the pictures, 1 picture popped up. The flash on the eyes was exactly the same yellow green hue. It was amazing how bright the eyes were in his trail cam picture. I thought the picture with the elk was a hoax just because the eyes were so bright. Didn't take the time to do all the photo shop stuff. NOW, I am not so sure.

4 things tell me is fake 1) eyes are too bright, 2) placement of paws in relation to terrain, 3) the ear and branch, 4) body language of cat

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleWho ever created the photo did a fairly good job....and apparently has a quality photo program that allows the overlay of multiple images...

I pulled up the photo on my program and like others, started to believe it might be real until I got down around the Cougar's feet and their placement on the terrain, it is just too level and above the ground foliage...but the overlay of the branch across the Cougar's ear is really good..

I agree the feet and surrounding foliage don't look right. I've seen critters with brighter eyes than that in photos and on the side of the road staring at me. I couldn't say for sure if it's fake, but it is cool and would make me a bit uncomfortable if I was in such a situation.

FAKE

As stated above feet in wrong location with terrain going down hill. The limb in front of the cougar was over laid very sloppy and they tried to remake it with the pen tool.

over all very,very sloppy photoshop job to pass off as a real pic..

Here is the original cougar they used.

1247867018-Mountainlion2WEBSITE.jpg

Edit to add

Forgot to mention Cougar pic was taken with around a 3 meg camera and hunter was taken with a 5 to 8 meg camera. Zooming in on pics give this away real quick along with the pixels around the edges.

In 1994, a friend & I went calling off the caprock. After one 30 minute stand, we started back to the truck, only to find a lion track on top of my boot track in light snow, about 20 yards from where we set up. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, to realize the cat thought we were lunch! Never heard a sound except our calling.
Mark

Back