How many crow decoys do you use?

Also carry some mono fishing line and when you kill 2 crows tie them on a 2 or 3 foot piece of line, one on each end, and throw them in a tree for decoys.
Check out crowbusters.com Those guys know their stuff when it comes to crow hunting.
Good luck to ya.

Shayne

OK, we set up Sun. AM with 9 decoys and an owl. The crows were just in the next woods. We hit the Foxpro owl and crow fight and here they come. Within 30 seconds we has probably 30 crows overhead. We were camo'd and hid. We busted one with a shotgun and missed another. BUT, them the flock took off to another woods and never came back. We called for another 20 min. with no responce. Is this normal? Do you only get one chance at the flock?

Pretty much. I usually start with a single crow sound and hope to get a couple of curious crows to come and see what's up then after killing them switch to the fight or maybe a wounded crow sound then the fight sound. Thats the reason I do not mess with decoys because I keep moving from area to area and kill a few crows at each spot. This past weekend the first spot I got 10 then 3 at the second then 2 at my last spot before it got too hot and I went home.If I had thousands of crows in an area then I would use decoys but around here we just have smaller flocks/murders of crows and to see more than 30 or so together is unusual.

Try turning the caller off for 10 minutes or so. Then try again, sometimes it works but not allways.
I hunted one place where after a while they would fly 300 or 400 yards and land in trees raising cain. I would stop calling for a while, and when I started again, here they would come. Some days they would come back 3 or 4 times. Some days it was over the first time.
Early morning, within 30 minutes of sunrise is best.

Shayne

InTrapTrap:When we have a decent amount of crows in an area we start off with a more subtle call such as Dennis Kirk's "Sentinel Crow". The object is to get one or two crows at a time to get curious and come in. Getting them all riled up may be more exciting, but the action is over quicker.

When things slow down try something like Johnny Stuart's "Crow Come Here" to excite them, but you'll have to be careful or it'll bring in the whole flock and you're action will be over quicker.

I agree with Duckstopper 100%,I will use hand calls to peel some off so the whole murder does not come in.I like to hunt dairy farms with feeding set ups,you will get crows working through the area all morning giving you more shooting time.

I use the dying crow call on my Fox Pro and they come right in. They land in the trees looking for the injured crow and I snipe them with my .17hmr. Lots of fun and I can do it right for my patio doors at times when I hear or see them flying around the area.

I usually use right around a dozen or more... then as you kill some you can add more and more decoys per say
smile.gif
A great decoy is just a round, long piece of black cloth with two stakes at the front and with any little wind it flips it around... looks like a crow messin around on the ground. Pretty deadly around here.

If you got alot of crows around, try a dieing rabbit. We killed over 20 the last time we used that, they seem to just come diving when they hear the dinner bell just like an ol' coyote. Might even call a dog in too is you're lucky!

Back