trTree stands for coyotes?

Thanks Sleddog, I'll be puttin up some 2X6 in the hemlocks, never thought of that. I don't seem to run into any callers, See a few tracks close to the roads, but I can only usually hunt weekdays, which I think is great. I try to get deeper into the woods.

Hey BAYSTATE ..... How the heck do you carry all that stuff??
tt2.gif

Look at my pick from Nov 18 above. One open reed call, a sweatshirt, as I only stand 10 minutes a stand, and a gun.

Contrasting styles ........ but niether correct or wrong, just different. You a field hunter? Curious to your success in the open spaces.

When I called only fields as a kid, I called only 3 or 4 coyotes a year. Better now?

Quote: I don't seem to run into any callers

masshunter ..... you are lucky!! The weekend warriors have invaded Granville!! I prolly should have used a false town in my posts, as on the opening day, anyone with the money for an ecaller has 'em bastin' up here. Crazy man !!!

Hey Baystate, Things will slow down in nov. maybe we can get togeather. Deer still take 1st place for me. Good luck, only 9 days, though I can't get out till maybe 19th.

Hey bay state I"m In the CT river valley in CT(obv) we got some big yotes down here. you huntin mostly fields or woods

Sled dog you arent all that far from me either,nice to see some "swamp yankees"on here I was starting to feel outnumbered lol

Quote:Sled dog you arent all that far from me either,nice to see some "swamp yankees"on here I was starting to feel outnumbered lol

All Bite No Bark - Suffield/Windsor area is HOT now. Too bad you can't shoot cats, as there are plenty.

Im just on the other side 291 from windsor and man oh man do I see a TON of sign in the river bottoms behind my house(about three thousand acres of fields and woods that borders the river.

Hey Sled
Hand calls love them,called many a dog with them,a lot with coyote vocalizations,open reed calls are my favorite.But I have lost many a dog because they came in and had me pegged,so I could not move for the shot.
In 2007 I caught whooping cough,just breathing would make me cough,I had to rely on my e caller more for that season.and that is how I refined my field calling tactics.I also have arthritis everywhere and in my hands also,I hunt alone most of the time so I set up so the dog will be looking away not at me.I try to get the dog to the edge of the cover thats it!!I want him to be comfortable,I also use coyote urine sprayed around my caller if I am using the give them the wind technique,Then I get the AR on him,sometimes I use a decoy,and some times I dont.Most of my sets are on farms so I can walk to my sets easily.I really have a hard time walking in the woods and I cant really climb with my hands,I also can not really hunt mornings because its just tough for me to move around.So I have taylor made my equipment and tactics to fit my needs.My other favorite tactic for dominate pairs is hard calling.I love bolt action rifles(my first love is long range chuck shootin)but I switched to the AR because I started getting doubles and triples showing up,the pistol grip is great for days when my hand does not want to work.

100_0982-1.jpg

100_1369.jpg

Quote: I really have a hard time walking in the woods and I cant really climb with my hands,I also can not really hunt mornings because its just tough for me to move around.

BAYSTATE - I give you all the credit in the world for adapting SOOO well!! Man, I think I would have given up ........... good inspiration for us all, and guess us guys are outta excuses now!

Fantastic story man!

No I wont quit,Yote callin,Crow and chuck shootin is what gets me through the day!!!And when I cant walk I will buy a Bad Boy buggy for movement!!
Hey CT Bark
Nice to hear from you neighbor I live in Monson on the state line,I had my CT license for two years but the permission laws and access caused me to quit trying.Good luck this season!!!!

Last edited:
Hey I was just up in monson the other day! we are friends with the people who run the break point shooting school up there,I spend a fair amount of time in stafford and union too.Good luck to you too! we three oughta all head out for a hunt sometime

WOW ......... a treestand post that has ME thinking about field technique !!

OK, BAYSTATE, can you please start a thread here in the Eastern forum on sucessful field calling that other members can add thier techniques to? Its been so friggin' long since I hit the open ground, I'm kinda lost.

I am a DIE HARD treestand guy, but if I can see some good stuff from knowledgable field guys, I'd give it a whirl for sure!!!!!

It would let me use my little guns
tt2.gif

Okay
But I will say that for the average yote slayer given our terrain,I see more merit hunting the woods and cover with your tactics and other woods tactics.The dogs are more at ease in the cover.
smile.gif

I'm new to the forum and new to Coyote hunting as well. I decided to get into it just a few days ago when I was in my deer stand complaining to myself that there were no deer this year, when 7 yotes came within 50 yards of my stand. They were moving too quick for me to grab my bow but one stopped and I tossed an arrow its way but at 50 yards through the brush it was just a hopeful shot.
The next day I saw 2 more dogs but the others may have been further out. So this morning I went out and probably did everything wrong but I'm at least out there. I bought a Wildlife Tech MA 15 with 40 sounds on it and I set up with no response so I moved again and tried again. I did shoot a porcupine and two crows but no coyotes. I wasn't able to get into the stand that I saw all the action from because my buddy was using it for deer this morning. I'll have to try to get in there tomorrow and see what I can do from an elevated position.
If anyone is coming up to NH to hunt let me know and I can get you onto some places to hunt.
I'm hoping to help out the local Turkey and deer population as well as keep my dog safe. He and I were out walking one morning and I had a very territorial coyote set up about 100 yards away and bark at us. My dog ran towards it but I was able to call him off. Even after the coyote knew I was there he still hung around.

Quote: one more thing sled how high up you been puttin these stands

The old guys from Columbia county, NY will remember these days ......... turn the clock back to the 70's.

Soooooo many friggin whitetail, you would have about 40 deer sightings a day, and about 30 in any given field at night.

The learning curve was super fast for stand hieght. I started off about ten feet high. Deer coming downwind always still smelled me. 15 feet was a bit better, but I was still picked off by deer farther downwind. Old does stompin' and blowin'.

Next stop 20 feet ........ WAY up there. Made the bow angles tough as you are usually aiming at the top quarter of the deer, and driving the arrow out the farside armpit. VERY effective.

I find anything lower than 20 feet 50/50 on coyotes as well. As the years have gone by, 20 feet seems soooo high to me now!!! I can't wait to get that safety belt hooked up. Ahhhh to be a kid again ...........
tt2.gif

Last year, I decided to use my 10' quad pod to try & call a 'yote. At about the 1 hr mark, here he comes, circling around from the field to my right. I'm also not that experienced in coyote hunting, (or hunting period). When I saw the coyote coming, I had the call on, and suddenly realized I didn't know what to do (let the call run or go silent). He pops out a perfect 100 yds. stands there looking face on at me, and I miss him clean. I was sorry I missed, but learned a lot. Got to see how the coyote circled, popped out, & how he behaved when he did. While I would not look to make tree stand hunting my go to method, (not feasible), if there was a stand nearby, I'd use it as fast as I would any other elevation advantage I could find. I found it to be a fantastic learning tool for a beginner to see how this game is played.

Shayne,

Ever try Ellithorpe when you were hunting Ct. It's a little thick but it's always had a good number of dogs on it. Worse skeeter infested place I've ever been in my life.

Back