Rifle dilemma

Curly

I have always wondered about that term barrel burners. It seems to me if you shoot 3 rounds and let cool off when sighting in, or maybe take two quick shots at a coyote " if needed". How long would it take to burn your barrel out with let's say maybe 100 rounds through it a year, done in a calm manner so to speak

Mark2

The folks that I see posting about these calibers are shooter, so I think that they have a clue about proper shooting techniques, but I have no personal information about them or have ever shot with them, so all of this is just conjecture.

It seems that these folks got less than a 1000 rounds from these rifles, which is a "barrel burner" in my book. The 6.5-284 is another round that does not last long enough for my shooting, but some would not bat an eye at such short barrel life. Not my idea of shot out barrels may not be the same to you or others too.

If I lose POI that I have come to expect, then I am not a happy camper and the barrel is at that point, not for me and my shooting. It might well be fine for another shooter. I am just extremely picky about how my guns shoot. Once I find a load and bullet that performs and I get used to that performance, I demand it. If I lose that as the barrel ages, I am ready to replace them. I am not rich though so I like to get as much usable life out of all my equipment. It is a balancing act. YMMV

They burn out the section of barrel just in front of the chamber. So your bullet doesn't touch the lands till later there by giving less accuracy.

I don't know all that much about it other than the heat eats the rifling, but the .22-250 is supposed to be just as bad a barrel burner for reference.

Last edited:
I disagree that the 22-250 is as bad. I think a 22-250 should get at least 2000 to 2500 worth of shots, on average, out of a barrel, unless it is running really hot loads. They are not as easy on a barrel as a 223, but not anywhere as bad as say the 6.5-284, which might get 800-1000 accurate rounds before starting to lose their stuff.

I have burnt out a few 22-250 barrels and the most rounds I ever got out of one was 1300.

Admittedly, barrel life is very subjective and some people will put up with a lot more problems than other people.

Jack

I burned out an 8 twist 22-250 in a (very fun) 3 day weekend of pd shooting in considerably less than 1000 rds.

Even in a "normal" twist a 22-250 is a barrel burner. While personal standards vary, few people would be happy with the accuracy of a 1500 shot 22-250 barrel, or at least they'd be frustrated with the 20 or more "fouling" shots it took before it started shooting right after cleaning.

Compare that with a .223 where it would be very rare that anyone would consider one to be burnt in under 5000 rds and 15,000 rds (non comp) is not at all unheard of.

At 300 yds a .223 will do a marvelous job on a coyote, and the military uses them out past 1000yds on men with pretty good results using heavier bullets and faster twists.

Nothing against a "250", I own several and they are a lot of fun, but there have probably been more coyotes killed with the .223 (at any range) than all other chamberings put together.

I second that the rifles that i have used in the service have had 10's of thousands of rounds put through them and I was still dropping the 300m target every time with open sights. put good optics on it and there is no prob taking out past 300. My 16 inch does just fine out to 450 yards though i havent taken any critters at that range.
just my .02 worth.

I must have had a great pair of 22-250's! I got right at 2100 rounds out of the stock Savage barrel before it failed to hold 3/4 MOA and the replacement Shilen had right at 2K rounds before I rebarreled it for 22BR, and it still shot 1/2 MOA without issue. Just got the itch to try out a new caliber and now glad that I did!

After having owned the 22BR for a little while now, I will never own another 22-250. This little cartridge will shoot 1/4 MOA far more often than either of my previous 22-250's, if I do my part and the weather cooperates. More forgiving in terms of recoil and easier to zero in on loads for different bullets/weights too.

I'm far from an AR fan, but a neighbor brought a newe R-15 over to use my cleaning stuff on and to tinker with, and tinker it was, since neither of us knew squat about AR's LOL
Anyway,,, from what I saw, the r-15 was a nice, well made, handy little rifle that I'd pick way before the Axiom. Nothing wrong with Howa's, but that Axiom's a beast.

Nothing wrong with the 223 either IMO, but I would choose a soft point or even a match HP before the V-Max. If ya just gotta shoot a plastic tipped bullet (which most guys do these days), Nosler BT's probably a better choice.
Here's a pic of 22cal V-Max and BT's that I sectioned.
noname035.jpg

As crappy as the pic is, it's still pretty obvious that the BT is better constructed, with a thicker jacket and heavier base.
The V-Max is a great bullet for colony varmints, which is what it was designed for, but is a bit to fragile for bigger game IMO.

Get that R-15 and some Bt's, or even better 55gr Sierra GK's and you'll be fine out to 300, (although you should be able to call em in allot closer than that
wink.gif
).
Luck
Charlie

With all this info on barrel burners, I have to ask. How many shots does the average hunter shoot every year?

If I am lucky enough to shoot 50 coyotes per year, I think my rifle will last me quite a while. Heck, if I were ever lucky enough to average 100 coyotes per year, it would last me quite a while.

I do practice a bit at 50-100 yards with my rimfire, 'cause it is so cheap to shoot. Don't think I'll ever burn out the rimfire's barrel.

Originally Posted By: RePete
Get that R-15 and some Bt's, or even better 55gr Sierra GK's and you'll be fine out to 300, (although you should be able to call em in allot closer than that
wink.gif
).
Luck
Charlie

Charlie, I actually like the 60gr Vmax in the 223, and the two bullets you mentioned.

I bought the Vanguard sporter with the 24" barrel, because I liked it better, over the axiom.

Different strokes for different folks.

I do love my howa axiom. But with the 24 inch bull barrel it gets a little old after walking through deep snow and hill etc all day. I have narrowed it down to the r-15 22" 223. Or the r-25 in 243 20". I am going to see how much heavier the 243 is. Thanks for the info guys

Mark2

For what it's worth I have more than 22 years of military exp. with 5.56 ie 223. and the 300 meter effective range refers to the range the "average" soldier can effectivly engage man sized targets. The round is leathel far beyond that.But don't bank on "dead right there".
The "little black rifle" can be reconfigured so many ways, that in its self is fun,and if its your first one go for it!

SSG RED

I have a axiom 22-250 and had a r-15 and sold it i like the axiom much better if you want lighter buy you a standard action from Howa blued or stainless, cut down on the weight and will still fit your Axiom stock

I shoot 300-800 yards with my .223 FP10 using a 50gr vmax on p-dogs a lot.
My last 2 coyotes dropped in 3 steps after being hit at 265 & 280 yards with that 50gr vmax on the same morning.

My go to coyote calling gun is my R15, 18" .223 though.
Longets taken with that to date was 310 yards, 55gr SP, dropped on the spot. Its nice & light for all day carry/hiking etc.

Back