Nitrex scopes

I have two of the Nitrex TR2 scopes, a 3-15X42 SF and 4-20x50 SF. Got the first one about 6 weeks ago and mounted it on a 7mm-08 rifle. Newest Nitrex on a 223 bolt rifle that I have just acquired too.

Think my 2 Nitrex are very very good scopes. Nothing about their appearance, weight, features suggests its not a good scope. When I got my first Nitrex, had 5 guys I meet with about every Sunday at our shooting club, sit down at bench with my Nitrex rifle and evaluate it. Asked only guys who buy the Leopolds, Burris, Nikon, Sightron, Zeiss and etc. scopes for their opinions. They are all serious shooters and hunters with many years of experience. Each sat down with rifle and spent 2-3 minutes with it playing with adjustments, viewing thru scope and etc.

None of them had a negative comment to make about Nitrex, only positive ones. Thought optics were very good, bright with edge to edge clarity at all powers, comparable to any of their scopes. One gent summarized the Nitrex scope nicely by saying, "if it holds up, has no internal problems.....then it is a heck of a scope for a heck of a price."

Oh by the way, I was born in Warren, Arkansas, but family moved to Texas in mid 50s.

I'd bought a discontinued model Nitrex from Natchez Shooters Supply and its final cost after rebate was $218. The $279 (after rebate) 4-20X50SF Nitrex TR2 has been checked by a couple of same guys and their opinion of Nitrex has not changed.

By the way, had a guy with a new Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X44 SF, that cost around $850, sit at shooting bench near me recently. We will start to chat and I invited him to view through my 3-15X42 SF Nitrex, check out its adjustments and etc. for his opinion of how it compared to his new Zeiss. After several minutes with my scope, he couldn't find any fault with it....Nitrex glass was very comparable to his Zeiss's glass and and same on SF, turret adjustments. He was shocked the Nitrex cost me only $218.

Nitrex box has Nitrex by Weaver on it. Both Nitrex and Weaver owned by ATK, who also owns Speer bullets, CCI, Federal Cartridge and others. TR1 Nitrex are basically Weaver Grand Slam Scopes and TR2 is Super Slam. Have same Japanese optics and internal design/parts. Nitrex has a one year over counter exchange with seller and then a life time warranty (for buyer only). Warranty work goes to same place as a Weaver scope.

Only negative thing I can say about the Nitrex....no lens covers or lens cleaner cloth in box with scope...but you will receive a nice lens cleaning pen from Nitrex when you register scope warranty with them.

So, I assume you may be looking at discontinued Nitrex scopes at Natchez Shooters Supply. Add $15-18 to scopes cost for shipping/insurance from Natchez. Also, a couple of weeks ago, I phoned Nitex and during conversation with Nitrex rep, mentioned buying one of discontinued models from Natchez.....rep replied he'd spoken with Natchez a few days before and was told the discontinued Nitrex were selling quite well.

Last edited:
I recently bought a tr2 3x15 with ebx reticle. I haven't put a lot of time behind it, but so far I am very happy with the quality for the dollar$.

not totally sure about this, but look for them to be discontinued soon. As far as I know, ATK is marketing the exact same scope as the TR2 series and calling it the Weaver Super Slam, charging more money for the weaver name. The TR2's look to be EXCELLENT scopes. Wish I had some dough...

Perhaps ATK will discontinue marketing the Nitrex line of scopes completely like they did with Federal Intensity scopes a year or two ago. This took place when ATK reacquired Weaver from Bushell. Seems like all models of Intensity scopes were the Weaver 40/44 scopes, which are still in Weaver line. Natchez still has a few models of the Intensity scopes for very low prices....heck of a lot less in price than the Weaver ones. But for now, they have just reduced the number of model/power scopes available in Nitrex line. My take on it anyway.

And Yes, TR2 Nitrex glass is darn good, have two of them. I assume the TR1 glass is just as good since it seems to be Weaver Grand Slam.

Last edited:
Back