Is barrel break in necessary??

I say call Thompson and ask them.

Gent I shoot with regularly showed up with his new Remington rifle in 260 at range yesterday and he didn't think it was necessary to do a barrel break in routine with the rifle. Just started trying his reloads in it. Of course his Remington took 5-6 months to get from Remingtons Custom shop for only over $3000. Guess his didn't need a barrel break in. LOL

Last edited:
Depends on what you are using the rifle for. Are you using it for competition marksmanship? It will help a very small degree with accuracy. Are you using it for hunting purposes only? The added work is not worth the benefits.

One thing it does help with is aiding in cleaning down the road.

Chupa

I don't think of it as a break-in,I think of it as getting to know your new friend.
You have to learn what they like and what they don't(ammo).All the while you are learning the trigger, cycling the action and so on. You become comfortable with it and I feel that will help accuracy more than someone being handed one that has been "broke-in".

SSG RED

It's not necessary but I always do it. So you spend an hour or two shooting and cleaning. I'd rather do it and not wonder about it. And +1 what ssg red said.

Last edited:
Greenbay, I think it all depends on the type of shooting you will be doing with the rifle...

When I was shooting a lot of action competitions, my accuracy needs involved keeping my shots in a 4"x6" square at 15-40 yards, as fast as I could pull the trigger for up to 40 rounds...

When I'm shooting Prairie Dogs at 300+ yards, basically a 2"x9" target, my accuracy needs are a lot different and I'll take more time and effort in barrel care...as far as overheating, breakin, etc...

If it's a 'hunting' firearm, where my daily shots will be limited to 2 or3 in the whole day, I don't even consider it to be a factor..and I don't spend the money on a high quality barrel for the activity...

If I were shooting "Bench" type competition where a thousandth of an inch in the group makes a difference, then that barrel is treated really good..and I'm not a good enough shot to play with the 'big boys'...

i am not a believer in barrel break in. clean it up and go shooting.

i've tried the barrel break in thing w/ factory rifles and custom rifles and can't find a difference, though whichever method you choose eliminates the possibility of trying the other.

the 'smith just called me last night - he's got my 7 rem mag re-barrelled and ready to go. i will not be doing any special break in on that one either.

It will be strictly a hunting rifle. Since I have gained this much info on break in I have 1 more for all of ya....Lucas Bore Guide....should I get one..what are your thoughts?

From what I am reading I am guessing that barrel break in and the lucas bore guide go hand in hand but I am not a big rifle guy so I have to ask this.

Lots of theories and "Expert Opinion" in the archives if you can get the search function figured out.

I'm not taking sides because I'm NOT an expert.
All I'll say is that when I have Pac-Nor rebarrel a rifle for me, they recomend a break in so I do it because they certainly know more than I (or a bunch of internet experts) do and they're the ones I'm gonna talk to if the barrel doesn't shoot.

Their method only takes about forty rounds anyway, and like others have said above, "ya gotta get the scope dialed in and get to know ing the rifle anyway", so I don't see it as a big deal, or a waste of time.

JMO

Shooting and dialing in a scope is far different than "break in" of fire 1, clean the gun. fire 1 clean the gun. fire 1 clean the gun.

Break in is a waste of time and ammo. Shoot it, set the scope, clean it when you get home unless you're going hunting. Then clean it at the end of the season.

Like I said, "lots of internet experts out there" but untill someone can show me some scientific proof, I'll continue listening to the folks that actually make barrels for a living.

Pac-nor's method has you shooting three shot groups and cleaning between each group after the first ten rounds.
Again, "for me, that's just not that big of a deal".
JMO

Originally Posted By: RePeteLike I said, "lots of internet experts out there" but untill someone can show me some scientific proof, I'll continue listening to the folks that actually make barrels for a living.

Did they show you some "scientific proof"?

Just because a person posts on the net doesn't automatically negate their advice/opinion/experience. A lot of actual "experts" a) post on the internet themselves, b) contradict each other. Therefore, I take _everyone's_ advice with a little tempering solution.

But, like you say- cleaning every 3 shots for a short amount of time isn't that big of a deal and I don't see how it can HURT, except for taking a little time. When sighting in, you're gonna sit there and let it cool down anyway, so why not go ahead and clean it?

How about this bringing a brush back through debate...???

I've heard not to do it with a brass brush, but the nylon brushes are perfectly fine...

Shilen doesn't seem to mind a brush, brass or otherwise being pulled back through...http://www.shilen.com/faq.html#question10

I run 5-10 cotton patches through with solvent, then run a nylon brush about 60 cycles, then a few dry patches, if I'm storing, light oil on the second to last one.

Seems this whole cleaning debate is way up in the air though, about the most sensible thing anyone can say is "do what your gun likes." Be it just running a bore snake through it, or cleaning after every shot...
confused.gif
tongue_smilie.gif

Originally Posted By: bigwheeler These guys hold more than a few world records and wins with their
barrels as of late. Read what he has to say about break in. Makes a lot of
sense to me.

http://www.bartleinbarrels.com/BreakInCleaning.htm This answer and link is the best I have seen, however just my opinion and view on break in.Other remarks on getting framiliar with your rifle hold merrit as well, especially if the rifle was something new to you (like an AR was to me)my DPMS (w/ SS barrel) came with a card explaining break in and I followed it.

Oil companies want you to change oil every 3000 miles even though testing shows you're good for 6000+. They sell more oil. Custom barrel makers want to sell more barrels. Wear is wear, industrious cleaning increases wear. Physics is physics.

Said the heck with it and ordered a coated cleaning rod, bore guide and boresnake along with another box of ammo. Gonna do the break-in. The more I thought about it I guess it is just a little more ammmo and time.

Thanks to you all.

Originally Posted By: HookedOriginally Posted By: bigwheeler These guys hold more than a few world records and wins with their
barrels as of late. Read what he has to say about break in. Makes a lot of
sense to me.

http://www.bartleinbarrels.com/BreakInCleaning.htm This answer and link is the best I have seen, however just my opinion and view on break in.Other remarks on getting familiar with your rifle hold merritt as well, especially if the rifle was something new to you (like an AR was to me)my DPMS (w/ SS barrel) came with a card explaining break in and I followed it.

Hooked,,,, after reading your reply I went back and read that link.
I couldn't agree more with you, and I think their take on the subject is similar to mine.
You don't have to commit an entire weekend to it, but a little care up front just might pay off in the long run.

Keep in mind that "I ain't no Physicist" so your mileage just might vary.
wink.gif

Greenbay,,, Good call.
Your decesion on a good cleaning rod and bore guide is every bit (if not more) important than any break-in process.
Enjoy your new rifle.

Just so we are clear, I never said there is NO benefit. It's just that I debate the benefits versus the effort for a hunting rifle. If it was a rifle I am going to use for competitive shooting...I see no reason to NOT do it, as it definately does not hurt to do so.

The last bit from REPETE's last post about the guide and rod holds more truth than most know......but should!

Chupa

Shilen barrels says they only have a breakin procedure because their customers requested one. Otherwise they didn't say one way or another. I don't do it but there is no way to prove or disprove it really does anything for you.

Back