Best deer slugs in a rifled barrel?

InTrapTrap

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but...

I have a 12 ga. 870 Remmy Express Magnum, up to 3".
I bought a fully rifled Remmy slug barrel for deer.
Before I spend a ton on different slugs to try for accuracy, any recommendations on slug brand that works for you?
Just trying to cut down on cost to find the better slug. I know every gun is different, but where should I start?

InTrapTrap

My Winchester model 1300 with a rifled barrel likes the Winchester Supreme Platinum Tip sabot slugs. I only shoot the 2 3/4" ones. They shot a ton more accurately than any other slug I tried.

kevlars

Have a very similar gun. I tested a LOT of slugs.

#1 Winchester BRI

One I'd really like to test, as they weren't available when I tested, but were very accurate in another gun: Remington AccuTip.

What sights on your new barrel?

WW Partition Gold 20ga 260gr @ 2000 fps shoot best in my H&R Ultra Slug w/ Nikon 3-9X Slughunter w/tuned trigger.

I shot everything I wanted or could afford at the time however without a scope and shooting from a bench might not have been able to differentiate between several "good" loads.

Like stanly I was pleasantly surprised at the Remington Buckhammer...shot much better than I thought they would based on price v the WW premium offerings.

Probably no real shortcut for actually shooting several loads to find the one that performs best in your set-up.

Originally Posted By: Unk

Probably no real shortcut for actually shooting several loads to find the one that performs best in your set-up.

+1

every remington,i have or know of,after shooting many brands/types of slugs.its always 2 3/4 lightfield hybread,[white box]best,and rem copper solids close second.

Originally Posted By: bobeanoevery remington,i have or know of,after shooting many brands/types of slugs.its always 2 3/4 lightfield hybread,[white box]best,and rem copper solids close second.

+1
that's exactly what I was going to say !

My experience with Rem. Buckhammers is the same as stanly and Unk's. They are accurate and cheaper than the rest designed for a rifled barrel.
thumbup1.gif

Flyrodder

I tried a bunch of different slugs through a Hastings rifled 12 gauge barrel I had on an 870.
The Remington Buckhammers shot way better than any of the others. I think they were cheaper too.

I know people that use hornady SST, I use remington accu-tips, brother uses winchester partition golds, dad uses federal barnes expander. Buy a few brands and test them out, only way you'll know which is best for YOUR gun.

Absolutely agree with the Hornady SST. I have killed a deer at 171 yards (verified with range finder) and a coyote at 160 yards. I shoot mine through a Remington 11-87 with rifled barrel and cantilevered mounted Leupold VX1 scope. I started shooting them 5 years ago and have no plans to switch. Just wished they made them in 3"

I love the Hornady 12 g 2 3/4 in SST in my win sxp black shadow with rifled barrel. I get groups of 1- 2 in groups from both 50 and 100 yds but periodically will get a flyer. Previously used my beretta 390 smooth bore with OK groups at 50 yds. After I purchased the black shadow was reading reviews on Carlson choke tubes. Ordered one for the 390 and tried it at the range last week. Mounted sights on the rib. Could not believe the accuracy. At 50 yds 3 slugs 2 in group. At 100 yds open sights 2.5 in spread with 2 shots.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DVXDUDEI know people that use hornady SST, I use remington accu-tips, brother uses winchester partition golds, dad uses federal barnes expander. Buy a few brands and test them out, only way you'll know which is best for YOUR gun.

Same here, ole man swears by Partition Golds, I run Barnes Expander. Just have to shoot a few and go with the best.

Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsOriginally Posted By: DVXDUDEI know people that use hornady SST, I use remington accu-tips, brother uses winchester partition golds, dad uses federal barnes expander. Buy a few brands and test them out, only way you'll know which is best for YOUR gun.

Same here, ole man swears by Partition Golds, I run Barnes Expander. Just have to shoot a few and go with the best.

X2

Back