.25-06 Coyote Load

daman2270

Wondering if anyone has a good .25-06 load out there for coyotes that they would be willing to share? I am not saving fur at the moment but I would like to find a load that didn't blow a pie plate size hole through them either. If I wanted to do that I could use my 300 WSM.

87 GRN TNT and 49 grns H4350. groups into 1 hole at 100 yds.

Just a starting load, and I am sure you can work up to more velocity and still have a plenty accurate load.

Actually found a pic using 52 grns H4350

y-b2.JPG

Last edited:
I would try Barnes TSX 80 gr. They are very accurate in my 25-06AI and probably wouldn't expand as violently as most lead core bullets in a coyote.

johral, nice shooting.

I have plenty of H4350 on hand, think I will maybe track down some of those TNTs and give them a shot.

Just bought this .25-06 and through together a load using IMR4350 and 100 gr. Sierra Gamekings. Pretty accurate load and they haven't been blowing them apart but 100 gr. pill seems a little overkill for a coyote....and I haven't hit any big bones yet.

I don't have any experience with TNT's so are they hard on fur?

Mine used to love H4831 with 75gr v-max's , dont remember the charge though. That was one of my most accurate rifle's ever.

Originally Posted By: daman2270.
I don't have any experience with TNT's so are they hard on fur?

I also shoot the Speer 87gr TNT w/56gr of RL19. TNT's are not a fur friendly bullet....big holes but very accurate. Soft points or solids are about as friendly as you are going to realistically get.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357You are shooting 25 Cal. Its not a Varmint Rifle.

Totally disagree.....for many of us that cut our teeth predator hunting in vast open wind swept areas the 243 and 25-06 were the predator rig of choice by many.

You are very right that sewing will be required.

Varmint/Predator.. to me they mean 2 different things. Varmint... one that sits in a location waiting to be shot, and sometimes offering multiple shots at the same creature. Predator hunting for me is.. call him in. the closer the better. 100 yds or closer is normal for where I hunt. Now if you talk about targets of oppurtunity, Id guess that if you had shots at random predators that showed themselves on a distant knoll, at long ranges then maybe the wind comes in to play. But from a calling standpoint Id think that a 6mm and less is much more than enough to take a coyote. But then again, My hunting area is different. I need to hunt the Midwest sometime where calling includes 300+ yd shots. Good Hunting.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357 Its not a Varmint Rifle. Expect a little sewing..
grin.gif

I thought the purpose of a Varmint rifle was to dismember small critters?

Oh, never mind.
blush.gif

For coyotes I used these loads over time:

90g Sierra BTHP
53.0g of IMR 4350

100g Sierra
51.5-52.5g of IMR 4350
Win primer

87g Speer Sp
56.0g of IMR 4350
Win primer
3600 fps=tiny groups in my 700

100g Sierra
57g of R#19(work up to this load in your rifle)
Win primer

I wore out a Ruger Varmint, Rem Varmint, and a Sako Varmint shooting the above loads.

In all the above loads, reduce by 3.0g and work up to those listed loads due to difference in barrels and lot# of powders.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Varmints or Predators? There is quite a weight variance between the two.

Obviously you've never seen an angry prairie dog.

I also shoot the 87g Speer Sp with 56g-57g of R#19 in a win case with a win primer, bullet .040 off the lands.

I would go straight to the Barnes Tripple shock if you want to save hides...

I shoot 100 gr. Speer SPs for everything in the 25-06. I haven't taken coyotes with it, but have groundhogs, so maybe I can make a judgement as to what to expect.

While the Speer bullet (which is constructed with a little tougher jacket than Sierra and some others) will cause some damage to pelts, it's generally not extremely drastic.

My rifle happens to shoot the Speer very well, and I've taken groundhogs, crows, mule deer, antelope and a corsican ram with the same bullet.

It's worth a try.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06 I've taken groundhogs, crows, mule deer, antelope and a corsican ram with the same bullet.

Wow!!! How in the world did you get them all lined up for the shot?

tongue_smilie.gif

Anyone tried the Nosler Ballistic Tip - Varmint Bullet?

They make an 85 gr in .25 cal but what can I expect for destuction on Mr. Coyote?

I have used their Ballistic Silver Tip in other calibers with so so results.

Originally Posted By: daman2270Anyone tried the Nosler Ballistic Tip - Varmint Bullet?

They make an 85 gr in .25 cal but what can I expect for destuction on Mr. Coyote?

I have used their Ballistic Silver Tip in other calibers with so so results.

Since my 25-06 Rem. (Tikka M695 Grey Lam./SS) is too pretty
to drag around coyote hunting, I can't answer the question
about the 85 gr. Nosler BT regarding coyotes. BUT, I use a
pretty fast load with the 85 gr. Nosler BT with RL-19, for
homestead problem critter dispatching. I had about a 15 lb
feral cat that was really frustrating me, when it made a
mistake of looking back at me, with the 25-06 in hand. The
85 gr. Nosler just about cut Mr. Kitty in half. I am pretty
sure a coyote is going to have a big hole in it. If it hits
bone going in, it will be gruesome. I hit Mr. Kitty in the
spine...

Squeeze