Kimber or Nosler?

I wouldn't choose either.

Those who think Kimbers are so great need to do some reading on 24 hr campfire. There are a lot more dissatisfied Kimber owners than satisified owners. Seems they have a lot of QC and accuracy issues.

I spent an entire weekend last year looking at Montana's in 4 different stores in 2 states. I couldn't find one that was perfect and didn't have a problem - barrels rubbing on the stock barrel channels, broken safety, corrosion in the barrel, bad crown, & terrible trigger with creep & travel. I was sorely disappointed in what I saw and changed my mind about owning one.

IMO Kimbers are hit or miss on quality and I'd much rather have a Sako or Tikka

The only complaint I had with my 84M was the firing pin was slightly bent and I had a couple misfires. I called Kimber and they sent me a new firing pin. I can't pinpoint if that came from the factory or if it happened at my local gun store because they urge you to dry fire a gun, I have always been taught to never do this, so of course I believe it is a sin to dry fire. There is three other people I work with that have a Kimber rifle, two 84M and a 8400, we all have had great luck with them. But I do agree with someone else on here, we all get a bad rifle here or there and we can all bash another maker. I love the older Remington's but now the new Savage's are looking pretty good for a good user gun that could take a beating.

So Ghostman,,,, you're saying that the four or five guys that replied here that "actually own Kimbers" are full of it.

As Far as 24hr campfire goes, you know how people on the Internet like to pile on when anything negative is said about a particular manufacturer, so I'd take that with a grain of salt.

I'll agree that there's better rifles out there (like Sako) but nobody else has managed to build a rifle under six pounds like the Montana, and certainly not one in their league if there is one out there.

Not trying to pick a fight with ya. Just saying that the Internet didn't get named the "misinformation highway" for nothing.

Originally Posted By: GhostmanI wouldn't choose either.

There are a lot more dissatisfied Kimber owners than satisified owners.

If you believe that I do not know what else to say to you.

I have had good luck with the 4 kimber rifles I have owned but if I were looking at a new rifle, I would look at the Sako finnlite. I traded for a finnlite in 300 wsm and got a .481 three shot group the first load tested.
I have 4 Sako rifles and they ALL shoot under moa by a good bit. Two are varmint models and a grey wolf 270. They are the best shooting factory guns I have used.
Tim

I would approach things a little different. I like Sako's a lot. I have
heard good and bad about Kimbers. I know nothing about the Nosler.
If I was going to be hunting close country, heavily wooded I would
throw brand out the window and go for a gun I can throw up, eyes shut.
Open them and be looking at a perfect scope picture. Nothing else matters
when elk jump up in the trees 35 yards away. Kimbers fit me perfectly,
700's ok, my Sako wears a custom stock because it didn't. m2c

Originally Posted By: GhostmanI wouldn't choose either.

Those who think Kimbers are so great need to do some reading on 24 hr campfire. There are a lot more dissatisfied Kimber owners than satisified owners. Seems they have a lot of QC and accuracy issues.

I spent an entire weekend last year looking at Montana's in 4 different stores in 2 states. I couldn't find one that was perfect and didn't have a problem - barrels rubbing on the stock barrel channels, broken safety, corrosion in the barrel, bad crown, & terrible trigger with creep & travel. I was sorely disappointed in what I saw and changed my mind about owning one.

IMO Kimbers are hit or miss on quality and I'd much rather have a Sako or Tikka

Hmmmmmmm.....
Mine has none of these.

My sig line says it all !

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: hm1996Kimber rifle quality control/customer service thread:
Kimber Rifle thread

Regards,
hm

Big Deal ! We could spend all day bashing EVERY brand out there !
Everyone has crap from the QC department at sometime.

While I do not own either rifle in question, my son owns two Kimbers (Montana and Caprivi) and the following is his experience with Kimber, both QC and CS. He has recently purchased a Nosler to replace the Montana based on his positive experience with one of Wiseman's rifles in .416 Rem.

Quote:My .458 Lott Caprivi just got back from the factory for a loose barrel band (came loose after 3 shots). I was shooting it off sandbags at 50yds and it wasn't on paper. I suggested that while they had it they ought to bore sight the thing to get it on paper at 50 yds. Got a call back that said "Where is it hitting?" I politely informed them that if it was on paper I would know that, but since it started falling apart after 3 rounds, I had no idea. I did tell them that I suspected it was hitting low, but that's based on a dust cloud, and really unreliable. (This is in part because I suspect they don't know how to take a tight bead given their front sight????). I suggested that the [beeep] thing better be on paper before they sent it back. They were quit polite to their credit.

Quote:I should add. Have a Kimber "montana" in .300 Win. that is awesome. One reason I bought the Caprivi. Now everyone should know that .300 Win. Mags. are finecky on loads (every one I've ever had), and the Montana is no exception. But once you get a load, it shoots.

Quote:Got my .458 Lott Caprivi back. Barrel band appears to be well-secured. As it should be.

They provided a test target with 4 rounds -- noted to have been fired out of a lead sled at 50 yards. It's encouraging. Hope they didn't split my stock shooting out of one of those things. Nothing visible at this point.

They've got two in the same hole right at 6 o'clock (awesome, that's where it belongs) and two creeping up into the bull. It's about a 4" group overall. Which sucks at 50 yards, but windage is good, I'm suspecting pushing the "black" on their part is responsible for the stringing. They did replace the front sight. I suspect it was too high initially.

Do you think their smiths are afraid to shoot their rifles? I'd be a lot more confident if it was shot off a standing bench than out of a lead sled.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. But I suspect I can make it shoot, even if they can't.

I'm not real pleased at being charged $37.50 for shipping a defective rifle back for repair. Not sure if that was from Kimber or Carter Country, the dealer, but that's what it cost to get my rifle back and that kind of chaps me.

I agree that all manufacturers have a few that slip past QC. Not bashing Kimber, but believe this is the type of information OP is seeking.

Quote:Hey all. I was wondering what you all think about these 2 rifles. If it were between the Kimber Montana and the Nosler 48 Sporter,which would you prefer? Caliber isn't a question,just the rifles in comparison. It is to be a dedicated deer,elk,black bear getter. A user, not just for holding a space in the safe. Which one would/did you choose and why?

Regards.
hm

"I agree that all manufacturers have a few that slip past QC. Not bashing Kimber, but believe this is the type of information OP is seeking".

You are correct. I do appreciate all the feed back guys. Good or bad. On that note. I went to the local mega gun shop today. I handled all sorts of rifles. Must have been quite a sight
blink.gif
. I was up to my arm pits in Kimbers,Tikkas,Sakos,Winchesters,Remingtons and a Ruger or two. Used ones,new ones synthetic and wood ones. Didn't buy a one.
All my life I've been a Remington/Winchester kind of guy. Throw in 3 or 4 Rugers and a Tikka. A few Savages too. I just thought I would step it up a notch you might say. Maybe put up some fun money and get a nice semi-custom or such. A rifle to spend a bunch of time with instead of standing at the safe trying to decide which one to carry today. I failed miserably. I liked the Finn Lite and the Montana,but liked the Tikka just as well. I just couldn't see $1200 - $1500 for an over the counter rifle. So,I guess I will watch the used racks and see what I can turn up for a project rifle.I do my own bedding and trigger tweaking. My old BR buddy is a wizz at truing and re-barreling. I think I'll do a build on a Remington action and bed her in a McMillan or Shehane.
There was one used Tikka I have been thinking about all evening. A T3 Lite blued in 300 WSM,very lightly used,for $399.00 I hope it's gone next time I'm there.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeIf you got someone to do a semi-custom GO FOR IT !
A good rifle can be built for the price of a Kimber ,ect.

Agreed
But building one as lite as the Kimber can get pretty expencive.
Just ask K22.

Kimber's a nice package'
Building a 700 let's ya have things your way, but can cost as much if not more.
Sako's are nice right out of the Box.

Lots of ways to skin this Cat.
Keep us posted.

As for owning kimbers I have owned 2 montanas and 1 84c and have 1 longmaster classic 308. Of all of them the longmaster is the only one that will shoot around a inch at 100yds. I was really dissapointed in the others 2-3 in. groups. And believe me I tried alot of loads and even sent them back for repair to no avail. Beautiful guns and I love the way the montana feels, just be aware there are issues with them.

Back