Need 22-250 load data with IMR-4350

I shot 4350 with 52 gr HP, but my books are down at the barn. I know it would be about 1.0 gr down from whatever a common maximum would be.

I've gone to BL-C2 with 55 gr SP in my .22-250, mostly because I've got 2 lbs of the powder, about 200 of the bullets, and that bullet doesn't work well out of my .223 but does out of the .22-250 so I'm flying them out of there.

Originally Posted By: rebrick99I need some load data for 22-250 with IMR-4350 powder and 50 gr
v-max bullets.
Use a long drop tube.

Jack

That powder is a bit on the slow side for 50 grain bullets, I think you would be much better suited by Varget, RL 15, or some VV N140 if you are looking for maximum performance. IMR-4350 would work well if you had a fast twist and were shooting heavy bullets but is not the optimum burn rate for what bullets you want to use.

Originally Posted By: rebrick99I need some load data for 22-250 with IMR-4350 powder and 50 gr
v-max bullets.

The load is 40 gr./4350. 50 or 55 gr. bullet, doesn't matter.

I have no idea how much 4350 I have burned up in 22-250s over the years I have been pd shooting, but it is a bunch. For several years before the last plague, I was "budgeting" for 16 lbs, just through my 22-250.

This is an excellent load. You can't really overfill the case if you are shooting 50-55 gr. bullets. If the case is new, you will only be able to get about 39.5 gr. in it. Once the case is fired and if you only neck size after that, you can get 40 in it. As Jack said, a drop tube will help.

I wouldn't recommend this, but one year on a pd trip, I took my press, powder and bullets with me. I reprimed some 22-250 cases, poured in the 4350 until it hit the top, shook the top kernels off so I could start the bullet,and then seated it. Neither the pds or I could tell the difference.

It may not be the hottest load, but for accuracy, I have not found any powder that will beat it. The accuracy benchmark for at least 20 different rifles was established using 4350.

I am using CCI BR 2 primers, but you will get good accuracy with just about any.

Jim

Originally Posted By: pdhntrIt may not be the hottest load, but for accuracy, I have not found any powder that will beat it.

That was my experience, too. I have never beat the accuracy I got from those 4350 loads. Am only shooting the BL-C2 now because, like I said, I have some that needs to be shot and I'm just seeing what I can do with it. I also got away from it when I went (briefly) to a Dillon in which ball powders flowed better. But that 4350 has produced excellent accuracy in my .22-250, .243, and .280.

I don't doubt the accuracy the 4350 provides but I have found that 38 grains of Reloder 15 behind a 50 grain Sierra Blitzking reaches velocities of 3900 fps and makes one ragged hole shooting like a house on fire. With a max load of 4350 which is definately a compressed load your running a max of 42 grains of powder and getting a top velocity of 3600fps. Both of those loads are running about 50,000 CUP in pressure, so unless your just trying to simplify life by just having one powder for all your rifles, I feel running a slightly faster powder is more justified and your not wasting as much powder getting less performance. Plus the slightly faster powders are more consistant when shooting in extreme low temps of winter. Thats just my two cents. Both are good powders, in my 243 Winchester, I can't beat 4350 for shooting my 95 grain Berger VLD's, but when using lighter bullets in that cartridge such as 70 grainers Varget gets the nod in both accuracy and velocity. Good luck and finding a load that works for you and good hunting!

Rebrick, I shot 39g with a 55, start there and go up. You will have to use a long drop tube and trickle the powder in the case slowly...I would suggest Win primers.

Win 760 is ~ the same burning rate as 4350, I'd start at 39g and go up with 760.

Back