.22 wmr

lon0121

how many of you guys like to grab your old trusty .22 magnum for some predator calling? i shot a coyote a month ago with my marlin model 25mn and i have been sold ever since. dont get me wrong i like to bring my .223 out too but the bull barrel gets heavy and i catch myself grabbing the magnum from time to time!

Anyone got some pics of their magnums?

Lonnie

10110072.jpg

heres my 22 mag setup,
my model 25mn "i lost my dang clip!"
Bsa classic 3x12x40 scope
johnny stewart pc7 cottontail distress
tony tebbe custom howler
pair of cheap sticks! Not the best rig but it works!

I enjoy shooting the .22 magnum, but I admit that it's not what I reach for when coyote hunting. I reserve the mag. for groundhogs, crows and such.

Here is one I just recently traded off, a Marlin 925M. It was a good shooter, but I wanted a Marlin 917V thumbhole .17 HMR worse, so I got trading fever.

Marlin1-2.jpg

Marlin2-2.jpg

Here is one I plan on keeping, a Ruger 77/22 magnum VMBZ.

77-22Leupold2.jpg

77-22Leupold1.jpg

The .22 mag is capable of taking coyotes, as you know, but I just don't feel comfortable
enough with it to use it "deliberately." This coyote was one I just happened upon. This one
was pure luck. Head shot at 75 yards, dropped like a rock.

coyote22maglargerphoto.jpg

Superseal, what kind of groups are you getting with the Magnum Research?

My kid has a 25MNSS in 22 mag and I have an 882SSV, We started out with those guns when we started hunting for red fox, Than moved up to 22-250's now we are starting this season with AR's in .223. This has gotten to be a good habit that we don't want to break anytime soon. Enjoy the 22 mag but beware that you will want more reach someday

wow,!

nice guns boys!
super seal thats a dandy!
6mm06 i agree that its not as capable at taking yotes like the 22250 0r 223 i prefer my shots under 70 yards! plus there aint that much field i hunt here! mostly shots are under 70 or 100! that sure is a dandy coyote you got there! nice camo job on your magnum too!
smile.gif

im wanting to do something with the stock with mine...maybe a camo job as well, my wood stock has some dings and nicks in it!

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Should be an easy matter to Krylon it, an inexpensive way to do camo.

do i have to take the gun apart to accomplish this? sand down wood?
is there a good website to show me?

I agree with what the others say. My first choice is always my 17 Rem., but when the State forces me to, I'll use my 22mag.
Both of mine are Sako Quads. This one in the synthetic stock, which is the one I usually use.

SakoQuad-11.jpg

Once in a while I get brave and use this one, but would sure hate to scratch up the stock.

SakoQuad-19.jpg

Thanks Lono121.
The Hunter model (walnut stock) spends most of its life with a 22lr. barrel on it. Every once in a while I'll stick the 22mag. barrel on and head out.

Krylon like 6mm06 said should fix you right up. Magazines for those Marlin's usually aren't hard to come by. What 22mag. ammo do you use?

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.K22 that's some mightily nice wood on there!How does the accuracy compare on that one between the Lr-WMR barrels?

Thanks for the Compliment Bernie. Most of the Hunter Models I've seen have a little plainer wood on them, but are still nice.

It's hard to compare the accuracy between those two calibers, but both calibers are very accurate, better than I could have hoped for. At 50yds., the 22lr. is darn near a 1 hole shooter and at that same distance the 22mag. will have all rounds touching. At 100yds. both 22mags. will shoot .5 to .75 inches depending on the shooter. That's with Win. Super X 40gr. hp's. Other brands don't shoot quite that good.

I really can't brag enough on the accuracy of the Sako Quads. Of all the 22mags. I've owned, Savage/Anschutz, Marlin, Browning ABolt, and a CZ, the Sako has been the most accurate. In 22lr., my Sako's will match a Custom Remington 541 I have and my KDF K22.

I love the 22 magnum best all around cartridge ever made for down where Im from. I keep my Ruger 77/22 mag with me in my truck at all times!

Lon0121,

I don't know about a website, but you can Krylon the rifle and stock rather easy. You don't have to take it apart unless you want to, but I probably would. That way you can paint the barrel completely and the stock too.

Sanding is not necessary, but you should clean all grease, oil and dirt off the metal and any dirt or grime that might be on the stock.

This summer I did a shooting bipod with several colors. I used a fern leaf for a pattern. Follow the directions on the can to let the pattern dry for about a week or so. Let it dry completely for several days even though it may feel dry to touch shortly after painting. Then, after it is thoroughly dry, spray a clear coat over it, such as the Krylon Matte Finish and let that dry well before use. It will make it more durable, and more scratch resistant.

Doesn't fit my critera for a "predator gun" but it's definatly one of my favorite rounds ever.
I've had several over the last 40+ years. Still have the first one I bought back in late 60's. A Nerw Haven by Mossberg. LOL It's not very sofisticated but it's accurate and reliable.

My latest, and probably the most accurate and fun is this little Henry lever gun with octagon barrel.
Picture288.jpg

It rides in my truck 24/7, loaded with Winny 40gr JHP's.

Never did jump on the HMR band wagon, but I love the WMR.

Charlie

Back