Fun & games in Canada:

Source

Jun. 24, 2004. 06:07 AM

Shooting spree averted, police say
Man's car packed with 6,000 rounds
Wandering dog plays crucial role

CHRISTIAN COTRONEO
STAFF REPORTER

A man drove from the Maritimes with a carload of guns and ammunition, vowing to kill as many people in Toronto as he could — before a last-minute encounter with a wandering dog inspired a change of heart.

The New Brunswick man, in his 40s, surrendered to police yesterday afternoon in front of a supermarket at Leslie and Eastern Sts. He had a loaded gun in his pocket and a car crammed with more than 6,000 rounds of ammunition.

"At that time, he decided he was going to shoot people in the area," said Detective Nick Ashley of 55 Division. "He attended a local park nearby and was preparing the weapons to do that."

By chance, a dog approached the man and started playing with him in the Victoria Park Ave. and Queen St. E. park.

"He happens to be a pet lover and decided that if there was such a nice dog in the area the people were too nice and he wasn't going to carry out his plan," Ashley said.

His car, a red Subaru caked with mud, provided the testament. It was packed with doggie blankets, a big plastic dog dish still filled with dry kibble — and the biggest single arsenal Ashley had seen in his 17 years with the service.

The car "was absolutely stuffed," he said.

The man didn't have a dog in the car. Police said he had left his dog in New Brunswick.

After visiting the park, the man, who police describe as mentally ill, drove around the city looking for a police officer. He found a young constable who has only been on the force for three years.

Constable Fraser Douglas, 25, was responding to a shoplifting call in front of a Leslie St. supermarket on a sunny afternoon when a man drove up behind his cruiser and honked the horn.

"He told me he was crazy and he needed to go to the hospital," the officer recalled.

And, Douglas added, he had a loaded gun in his pocket. "He said, `I'm just going to drive around and kill people at random.'"

Officers were tallying their cache last night at their Coxwell St. headquarters, counting carton after carton of bullets.

The list included: a 12-gauge shotgun, a bolt action rifle with a telescopic lens, a 9-mm semiautomatic, a machete, throwing knife, camouflage ski mask, black leather gloves, and 6,296 rounds of ammunition.

"He felt that if he shot enough people he would stay in custody permanently," Ashley said. "This could have been a very dangerous situation had his plan unfolded."

"It's scary how close it could have been. We have a dog to thank somewhere."

Investigators estimated the man would face at least six to eight "very serious" weapons charges. Because the guns were all legally registered to the suspect, the charges stem from transporting and storage.

jrb: hope you saw this one....sort of justifies what I spent on my *baby*. Not...that *I* needed justification...hehe
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ha!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

LJ, while I won't criticize you for spending that much on a tidbit of gator bait (j/k), most of us likely wouldn't. In my case, I simply couldn't. Heck, I don't have it to spend on one of us, if we ever got hurt that bad, it just isn't possible to spend it on a pet. Finances would force me to have it put down.

Seeing as you apparently could afford it, and feel it was worth it, I don't see anything wrong. It's your money. Well, it *was* your money... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Haha, Yeah, I'm only joking with you too. The story you told us about your pooch sounds just like a guy that sits next to me here in the office. He went through a situation with a little midgit dog just like this and I made fun of him 24/7 about it. He kept saying "Lots of people would do this" and I kept telling him that he was the only person in the world that would do it.

Well, I had to share your story with him and he was instantly validated... he was overjoyed and bouncing around the office bragging to everyone that I was wrong. However, because I'm bullheaded my case stands, Jane is only a line of text, she's not a real person therefor I'm still correct! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Okay, Well... I'm grasping at straws right now... he's gloating WAAAYYYYY to much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

hahah I love you guys...
The gator bait had me on the floor here. Oh and the *it WAS your money* hahaha
Yeah..I am lucky I can afford such things..although I was second guessing for a bit when he had all those complications following surgery. I almost felt guilty. To see him now is just totally heartwarming. Cannot WAIT to get my web site done so you all can see him.

jrb: I know .. I just HAD to rub it in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Tell your pal to keep leaping with joy!!! hehe We all have to remember that a dog is a man's best friend..I totally buy that...and yes, sometimes it IS necessary to put them down for their good. It is heart wrenching...and I had thought prior to going to Texas A&M that that would be their suggestion. I cried like a baby for days...even asked the little guy to be himself and bite me again (he has a funny way and can get spooked..does not mean to be evil..just because he was abused so badly before I got him. Actually he rarely bites me...ANYMORE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )...haha so much for being my best friend.

Mans best friend... no, Womans best friend.. maybe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(Matt I know you're reading this now you gloating fool!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ROFLMAO!@!@#!@#!#@!
But wait..didn't someone say something about a pal who puts peanut butter somewhere????
And that all dogs love peanut butter?!?!??!
I am sure it was a guy !!! HAH!!! I would have to go back to the joke about the dogs vs men post to find it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PS...........HI MATT...YOU ROCK!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EDITED AGAIN:
QUOTE: from none other than jrb:
Hey Jane, an engineer I work with is a big animal lover, he houses retired racing grayhounds. Anyways he's a hellarious guy so when we make fun of him for a 2 a.m. trip to the vet or something he always replies, "Well boys, all I can say is a dog will lick peanut butter off of ANNNNYYYYTTTHHHIIINNNNG !" hahahaha He's only joking... but still maybe that awnsers your question! END QUOTE

SURE he was joking!!@#!#!#@ hahahha

Case closed: Man's best friend!!!!

It may be true that a dog is mans best friend. But it ain't like there is only one dog in the world. One breaks down and goes away and another $1.98 dog is waiting in line to fill the void. I have great difficulty understanding the need to spend huge sums of money to repair a seriously hurt animal. Especuially an older dog that has lived most of his life already. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy all my animals (Even my cat), I treat them well and have no problem repairing minor animal difficulties, but when animal repairs threaten to remove food from my families mouths its time to say a gentle good bye. But to each his/her own I guess. Lets hope your animal lives a long and happy life.

Uh-ohh. That sounds like someone who has only had the privilege of owning a yard dog. You know the kind..... "If that s.o.b. digs under the fence and runs away one more time he can just stay gone. I hope he gets hit by a f'ing car!" :eek:
Yes, those are not the kinds of dogs that are worth any more than a sack of kibbles. But there are dogs that some people would almost give their life for. Of the 20 or so that I've ever owned, there were 2 that were up to that standard.

Ahhh but you are deffinately mistaken my friend. Several of my dogs were close to family and I stayed with them and kept them as comfortable as possible to the very end and shed more than a few tears at their passing. However when it comes down to extending extraordinary care extending the life of an old dog that has had a good life I try to step back from the emotional issue at hand to make the hard decissions.

I don't really care for dogs. I did when I was about 12, I just had to have one. I fed him and watered him (unwillingly and forced) every day but we lived in town and he didn't get out and play the way a dog should. He was a golden retriever. Well we then bought 250 acres and moved to the farm, he loved it. But then he caught TB and lost a bunch of weight. Vet said it would be expensive to fix him, if it could be done, so I opted out for putting him down. Mom was all upset but okayed the killing after he got real sick and thin.

So I was ready to take him out and shoot him but mom freaked... said no way was I shooting my own dog. So she calls and schedules and appointment for uthenasia. The farm was six miles from the vet so I took him to get the shot. I held him while they shot him and drove him home in the back of my dads truck. Dad had dug a hole with a tractor so it was ready... I went to put him in there out of the truck but he was standing up!

60 bucks for euthenasia and they missed the artery in the neck (they claimed) and the dog lived the five-seven minutes it took me to get home. So I still had to shoot the dog. Didn't have to tell mom though... dad called the vet without letting her know. Is that some BS or what?

Well anyways, I'm not big on spending money on animals but I don't hold it against those that do.... somehow my lifestyle or upbringing makes it humerous to me when people do but I try not to offend anyone! The mental image of that little 6" tall dog in traction has got to amuse most people... if it doesn't I'm really sorry. I just picture popcycle sticks and rubber bands holding him up! haha. I can't wait to get some photos of the little guy no matter what condition he's in... those little dogs make me laugh in pictures... they make me angry in person! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HAH!
Well first of all Michael, my little dog did NOT take any money out of anyone's mouth in my home. He was NOT ready to die yet...he fell off of a bed and was injured....and I felt that since the surgery is as successful as it is in dogs (moreso than in humans) it was something I should do. I do NOT believe in making an animal suffer. No way did ANYONE know he would have the horrid problems right after surgery that he did..but as I said before..he came out of it quite well. He is now running around jumping and acting like he always did..it is wonderful to see. His "grandparents" were here today and were totally amazed! I, too, hope he lives a long life...not just for me but for him. He deserves a good life..the one he had before I got him seven years ago was a nightmare. He now knows how it feels to be loved.

When I make my financial decisions my home and family come first..my pets are part of that family. I then think of close friends. I do not hold anything against anyone who cannot afford such things for an animal BUT I DO hold abuse of animals against people. I am lucky that I can do what I can do for my animals...I know that and I do not have expectations that everyone should. BUT...you know Texas A&M has a fund for people who CANNOT afford such things. If people cannot afford it, they do not pay anything. That is funded by donations. To be honest..I felt the bill was more than fair considering what they did. The vets here wanted almost as much just for testing!

By the way...I have a Michael...I wish he felt the way YOU do about your name. He uses Mike .. I live with it..but I prefer Michael as well...very nice name in my opinion.

jbr as usual you amuse me. I bet you are a softie acting otherwise! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If I do not get that site done soon, I will just email you some pics if you give me your address.
HE DID NOT HAVE TRACTION OR A BRACE OR ANYTHING SIMILAR!! HAHAHAH

Sorry ladyjane107 - I sort of started that post with the intent to pull your leg a bit. But then the vision of several people that I have known that spent money unil it hurt to save a dog or cat that had only a few weeks or months to live at best came to mind. They denied that their much loved pet was simply warn out until it became obvious that they were simply being cruel in trying to keep him alive. I swerved off on a side path that I did not intend. I'm glad your dog is alive and healthy, I hope you have him for a very long time.

Oh, Michael, no need to apologize. I was not offended, but I did feel a need to clarify. I am very much against putting people through needless procedures to prolong life...nevermind a poor animal who has no say in it. I made a careful and very *informed* decision and spent hours agonizing over it all. That hospital/school even called me after the myelogram to give me a last minute out if I wanted it. They knew how much it meant to me to NOT let him suffer.

Thank you for your kind words though...he really IS a very important member of our family as is my other little one. He is like the grandchild that I do not yet have..hehe. Imagine how spoiled he/she/they will be. hah..my son better STAY in NJ far away from Grandmother!

In Turkey, there was a litter of pups born. The mother was a full blooded wolf (we saw her), presumably the father was one of the shepard dogs the locals had.

When the pups were about half grown, one got out in the highway and hit. A female. My dad took her to the base vet. She ended up with some major work, it took 8 pins and some screws in her hip and leg to hold her together.

As she continued to grow while healing, that leg ended up smaller and weaker than the other. We ended up turning her into a house pet, even brought her back to the states. She ultimately lasted 13 years, and was the best gaurd dog EVER.

But the base vet didn't cost us anything. If we had been faced with paying the bill, it would've most likely been impossible, on my dad's enlisted pay while supporting a family.

Our pets become members of the family, and we'll do a lot for them. Sometimes, what they need is just beyond our means.

I hope your little guy lasts a good, long time.

Thank you Stu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
What a nice story...your dog was a lucky one indeed as was your family.

Back