Remington 700 Won't Shoot Anymore?????

mike88605

Frustration has set in very deep and I am searching for answers or solutions. Maybe you guys can help?

I have a Remington 700 BDL 25-06 and it was a 1/2" to 3/4" moa shooter until I switched the wood stock out for a synthetic stock. I was trying to keep my nice stock from getting all beat up. Anyway I could not get it too shoot under 2 inch groups so I put my wood stock back on. This is when the frustation started after putting my wood stock back on it would not even group 4 inches. So im thinking ok scope must have went south. So I switched scopes and had a bedding job done.

Took it out tonight thinking I would have my 1/2 to 3/4 moa rifle back. Boy was I wrong first shot top right corner of a 11 1/2 x 7 paper second shot bottom right corner of the 11 1/2 X 7 paper. I threw the rifle in my truck and headed home scrathing my head trying figure out what is wrong.

So the only thing I have done to this rifle since it shot 1/2 to 3/4 groups was change the stock then change stock back decoppered my barrel and a bedding job.

I am using the same hand load that I shot the 1/2 to 3/4 groups with. Infact this is the only load I ever shoot. Just for the record I have shot these groups many times with this rifle.

Win Brass
CCI 200
51.1 Grs IMR-4831
117 gr Hornady BTSP
.005 off the lands

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Thanks Mike

Check the front screw for lug interference. Just thinking maybe you tighten it up a bit more than the assembly guys and perhaps just enough to cause it to touch.

Even if this is the case I really would not expect it to blow the groups out that bad.

Just throwing it out there...

That is what I was going to ask and also how hot are the rounds I've heard you can "shoot out" a barrel with hot loads

Mike,
Sorry to read about your problems. Sounds to me like you've possibly affected the "harmonics" of your barrel in the stock switching. I know you had the rifle "bedded" but by whom? There is common misconception that people can just throw bedding into another stock, bolt it on and the weapon will shoot like before....NOT! It it were me, I'd find me an old timer who does bedding work and get it re-bedded and "free floated" so the barrel is NOT making contact with the newer stock. The reason is because if there is contact when the weapon is fired, you're affecting the harmonics and killing your accuracy. If all else fails, switch back to your old stock and see how she shoots. Not all weapons take kindly to switching stocks unless the fit is perfect and without contact at the sweetspot of the barrel where the harmonic come into play for accuracy.

Let me get this in my head straight.

You take the rifle which shoots 1/2-3/4" groups out of an unbedded wood stock, put it in a synthetic stock and it shoots 2+ inch groups.

Then you take it out of the sythetic stock, put it back in the wood stock and it shoots groups larger than 4 inches.

Now you bed the rifle in the wood stock, change scope, and de-copper it, and it is shooting about 12" groups?

I suggest you put the old scope back on and copper it up.
smile.gif

Seriously,
your rifle should not have shot so crappy when you put it back in the wood stock in the first place. Something was wrong back then. Cleaning it obviously didn't help, neither did the replacement scope. I am thinking something is binding really bad or the crown got goobered up.

I suggest put the old scope back on, put it back in the wood stock, make sure the guard screws are not hitting the bolt. and shoot it again for some groups. Let it foul and see if the groups get better as the rifle gets dirtier.

BTW, was this rifle free floated in the wood stock before it was glass bedded. After it was glass bedded was/ is it free floated.

As posted above if a rifle is bedded in a bind, that is not a good thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replys.

I free floated both stocks and my wood stock was free floated before and after the bedding job.

I have about 25 rounds down the tube since I cleaned it so it should be fouled.

My load is a 1/2 grn below max and I am guessing I have around 600 to 800 rounds down the tube.

The Crown appears to be ok no nicks dings or anything obvious but I will have it checked when I have the boar scoped.

The bolt is not binding works freely and smoth.

Thanks again for the replys

Mike

Did you torque the barreled action when you reinstalled it? I have had serious consequences from not using a quality torque wrench when reinstalling a barreled action. Sometimes I have to play with the sequence and torque settings to find the sweet spot too. Don't give up. Rifles can be like woman, they require a lot of TLC sometimes
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CurlywoodsDid you torque the barreled action when you reinstalled it? I have had serious consequences from not using a quality torque wrench when reinstalling a barreled action. Sometimes I have to play with the sequence and torque settings to find the sweet spot too. Don't give up. Rifles can be like woman, they require a lot of TLC sometimes
smile.gif

BINGO! Play with the torque on the action screws and be sure to tighten them up with the rifle resting on it's butt so that the recoil lug is in contact with the bedding.

given how sudden the change is the problem is certainly related to the stock switch. when you bedded the rifle was there any stress bedded into the rifle? when you unscrew the stock how much does the barrelled action move?

possibly related: you say you have maybe 800 rounds down the pipe - when was the load developed?

No stress bedded into the rifle scope was removed I have 2 peace mounts and the barrel was free floated before and after bedding.

The load was developed about 300 rounds ago. I would almost think that any load will shoot better then what it is now.

Before I bedded this stock and put the synthetic stock on I have had the stock off many times to clean,adjust trigger and float the barrel and each time I never had any issues with accuracy.

Playing with the tourqe was going to be my next move.

Again Thanks for the replys

I will get this figured out or I have a good excusse to rebarrel with a 25-06 AI

Thanks MIke

Originally Posted By: BrentWinOriginally Posted By: CurlywoodsDid you torque the barreled action when you reinstalled it? I have had serious consequences from not using a quality torque wrench when reinstalling a barreled action. Sometimes I have to play with the sequence and torque settings to find the sweet spot too. Don't give up. Rifles can be like woman, they require a lot of TLC sometimes
smile.gif

BINGO! Play with the torque on the action screws and be sure to tighten them up with the rifle resting on it's butt so that the recoil lug is in contact with the bedding.

Yepper. Been there done that. Torque was my problem when something similar happened to me a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: mike88605
I will get this figured out or I have a good excusse to rebarrel with a 25-06 AI

3650 FPS with 100 gr. bullets, no other excuses needed
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cornstalkerCheck the front screw for lug interference. Just thinking maybe you tighten it up a bit more than the assembly guys and perhaps just enough to cause it to touch.

Even if this is the case I really would not expect it to blow the groups out that bad.

Just throwing it out there... what cornstalker said. the front action screw may need a washer so it does not touch. my 30-06 went from big to itty bitty groups .

Originally Posted By: RONINFLAGOriginally Posted By: cornstalkerCheck the front screw for lug interference. Just thinking maybe you tighten it up a bit more than the assembly guys and perhaps just enough to cause it to touch.

Just throwing it out there... what cornstalker said. the front action screw may need a washer so it does not touch. my 30-06 went from big to itty bitty groups .

Not sure what you guys are shooting, but the front bolt does not touch the Lug on any of my Rem 700. A long bolt will go into the action and will hit the locking lugs on the Bolt when you try to close it if they are to long.

The question that has not been answered is who did the Bedding job and how was it done. If the wooden stock was not bedded with Pillars and you then tried to tighten it up to 65 inch pounds you crushed the stock.

Speaking of inch pounds what did you use to tighten the bolts down with? in either stock.

Also adding this check yourbottom metal tomake sure that you don't have any cracks in it. Sometimes the bolt holes will crack and cause problems

Last edited:
I bedded the rifle for Mike. I have done several and they have all turned out great. After trying the synthetic stock, we did try the original wood stock again and it still shot like s#*t. That is why we decided to bed it. I don't bed using the action bolts. I use headless 1/4-28 x 5 bolts that protrude all the way through the stock and keep the barrel and action leveled with tape wrapped around the barrel in two spots and the rear of the tang setting on small part of the stock where I don't auger it out. I did not install pillars as I didn't have any made up and goat season is coming quick. We have tried two stocks, bedded the wood stock, two scopes, and various factory and handloads. Next step is to look at the action screw torque. If thats not it, ????.

Back