Will leaving a coyote where you shot it educate other coyotes?

PredatorSlayer1

I shot a coyote pup and there was so much pelt damage that I decided to just take the ears for the local bounty. After taking some pictures I left the coyote in the field where I shot it. I plan on going out and hunting the same area next week. Do you think that the other coyotes will react any different than if I just took the coyote with me?

I'd say no. My best friend is a trapper. He tested a theory of coyote carcasses at a trapping set. He consistently caught coyotes, and would throw them on a pile about 30 yards from his pair of traps. He eventually had 11 coyotes piled up and would consistently catch coyote after coyote on that set.

Tony

Nope. Dead coyotes tell no tales.
tongue.gif

Around here that coyote might be down to the bones by noon. Vultures, crows, ravens, magpies, work them over pretty fast. I have seen them make it a little longer in deer or elk season or hidden in the brush.
Hunting with a friend a few years ago and on the way out he shot a coyote about 100 yds off the road. He said we'll pick it up on the way home. At 2 that afternoon he stopped to get it and there was just scattered fur and bloody dirt all torn up.

I have had a few old timers tell me that hanging a dead coyote on the fence will keep others from crossing in that area. Had a farmer here that wanted them to stay out of where his cows/calves were. Haven't ever tried it myself, but does that keep other coyotes away?

Two years ago I shot a coyote and left it lay because it had the mange and this was after deer season so about a week later I decided to hunt that area again and the only tracks around that dead coyote was more coyote tracks. Not sure exactly what they were doing because it had deteriated a little but it seemed they were eating on it because on the belly it was torn open just a little and made me think maybe coyotes are cannible. Has anyone seen this before?

Anyway I don't think it hurts to leave them lay and the coyotes seen to go about their business.

One thing to think about might be MANGE. On the last TBR video, they suggested removing mangy coyotes from the field to avoid others from contacting the mange. This makes since to me, because I always see dogs rolling in dead stuff. Somthing else to think of....Brent

Yotes are scavengers. Any meat is good meat to them, even their pack mates. They will most certainly be on that carcass as soon as it stinks. Swing by with your rifle and you should be able to see some more.

Originally Posted By: OKBrentOne thing to think about might be MANGE. On the last TBR video, they suggested removing mangy coyotes from the field to avoid others from contacting the mange. This makes since to me, because I always see dogs rolling in dead stuff. Somthing else to think of....Brent In discussion in an other topic someone suggested burn them...dont do like me and throw it in the wifes chimeria. Ok I didnt really do that but the fire pit was bad enough. Maybe leave the Mangy ones in the field and douse with charcoal lighter fluid as someone else suggested.

Originally Posted By: SaylorI have had a few old timers tell me that hanging a dead coyote on the fence will keep others from crossing in that area. Had a farmer here that wanted them to stay out of where his cows/calves were. Haven't ever tried it myself, but does that keep other coyotes away?

Nope.

If you fence hang the coyote during the 2 week following a full moon after removing only the left kidney and taking 1 bite of the liver, it will cure erectile dysfunction. Or so I'm told. Cuz I've never had those kinds of problems. Honestly.

Back