RRA 6.8 SPC Coyote Carbine?

Rick James

Anyone have one?

I'd be curious to hear more about any specific loads you have had good luck with.

I know it's a 1:10 twist and the advantages of a slower twist, but honestly.......I wanted a super light 16" gun with a Hogue hand guard on it for the typically less than 100yd shots we see hunting in the Adirondacks. This one came out of the box in the config I wanted, and with no wait time......and it was in stock for a great price.

I've got 80 rounds of SSA's 100gr Accubond loads coming. I'll shoot these to see how they do and then pick up a die for the 6.8 and see what I can make it do with handloads. I know the complete Carbine rifle from RRA in 6.8 comes with a .75 MOA guarantee, so I'm hopeful this will be a MOA gun. I should have the entire setup in my hands toward the end of this upcoming week.

Any thoughts or experience?

That was my first 6.8, and it was a blast to shoot and hunt with. I never tried to reload for it since the 100gr SSA's did so well in it, less than MOA.

I have since built 3 differnt 6.8's, one using a BA barrel and 2 using AR15 Performance barrels. I wished I had kept the RRA upper to test with the Hornady 100gr HPBT's since they work so well in these newer twist rate barrels. The only thing I would concern myself with is the chamber and pressurers.

I never tried any of the Remington loads because they were reported to not produce the advertised velocity. They also have the large rifle primer pocket which doesn't seem to be as desirable for reloading.

I have had this upper for about 6 months and I really like it. I took the flash hider off before even shooting it(personal preference) and I only shot 1 box of SSA ammo thru it. I now shoot 110gr Accubond reloads and I finally got it bloody yesterday getting a yote at about 85 yards and he was DRT. I get about 1.5 MOA off shooting sticks and that is with an Eotech, never scoped it. I would recommend the upper, I like the weight, the houge forend and its plenty accurate with a Eotech for shots under 150 yards.

Originally Posted By: OrphanedcowboyThat was my first 6.8, and it was a blast to shoot and hunt with. I never tried to reload for it since the 100gr SSA's did so well in it, less than MOA.

Which 100gr loads were you using from SSA? The Accubonds?

Originally Posted By: crashnrondoI took the flash hider off before even shooting it(personal preference) and I only shot 1 box of SSA ammo thru it.

I did too.......NY is an AWB state so I took the FH off, and ordered one of the 8 port adjustable 5/8-24 comps from ar15performance.com and had it permanently attached.

Thanks for the info so far guys. I know I could have gotten another 100ish fps if using a slower twist barrel and the 6.8x43 chamber, but it really doesn't matter for my intended purpose. The hunting we do in the Adirondacks is usually drives where you are shooting at deer that are close, and moving quickly. If I can get 2600-2700 out of a 100gr slug I'll be plenty happy.

Last edited:
I used this upper for a whitetail rifle that will be going to the UP with me this year...Here is what I found so far:

Speer 90 TNT 29.0 Benchmark 7 1/2 COAL 2.245...avg. .6

Hor. 100 SP 27.8 AA2230 7 1/2 COAL 2.245...avg. .7

Sierra 115 hpbt 26.4 Benchmark 7 1/2 COAL 2.245...avg. .75

Nosler 115 hpbt 25.5 Viht N133 7 1/2 COAL 2.232...avg. .7

next I'll be working on Sierra 110 prohunter with Benchmark and N133.
All of the loads were developed at 100 yds with an eotech 512 and 3x magnifier.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: bushyI used this upper for a whitetail rifle that will be going to the UP with me this year...Here is what I found so far:

Speer 90 TNT 29.0 Benchmark 7 1/2 COAL 2.245...avg. .6

Hor. 100 SP 27.8 AA2230 7 1/2 COAL 2.245...avg. .7

Sierra 115 hpbt 26.4 Benchmark 7 1/2 COAL 2.245...avg. .75

Nosler 115 hpbt 25.5 Viht N133 7 1/2 COAL 2.232...avg. .7

next I'll be working on Sierra 110 prohunter with Benchmark and N133.
All of the loads were developed at 100 yds with an eotech 512 and 3x magnifier.

Hope this helps.

Awesome detailed info Bushy. Did you chrono any of those loads?

no I didn't chrono...in the 6.8, the shooting I will be doing will all be under 250 yds. I load more for consistancy than velocity.

I have pretty much the same results as Bushy. The Speer 90 gr
HPs, Hornady 110 gr. Vmax, and the Sierra 110 gr. Pro Hunters,
all go into sub-MOA groups. The Speer 90 gr. loads are the
most impressive...A number of .5 MOA groups. My rifle is a
RRA 18" Mid-length gas tube upper, with an upgraded free float
tube, muzzle break, and gas block. It is a 1:10 twist with
a SPC II chamber. Plenty good as a coyote/deer rifle out
to 250 yards.

Someday I will be looking at a barrel upgrade to a 1:11 twist,
and a third generation chamber, but until this one opens up,
I am plenty happy with this RRA 6.8 SPC upper.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: Rick James
Which 100gr loads were you using from SSA? The Accubonds

The Pro Hunters, I never tried any of the Accubonds or TSX's

I built my 6.8 SPC carbine on a RRA upper receiver using a Bison Armory 16" Recon barrel. It's an SPC II chamber with a 1-11.25 twist. It's mid length gas with a free floated forearm. I mounted the upper over a RRA lower fitted with a Timney FCG. I've been able to get five shot groups as small as .5 using Sierra 90 grain varminters over 32.2 grains of H-335 at 2650 FPS. When I turn up the velocity my groups are opening to just over an inch and I'm maxing out my velocity at 2810 FPS using 33 grains of H-335 in a SSA case. I have the rifle zeroed at 200 yards. At 300 yards I'm shooting 10 inches under my POA using my 2810 FPS load.

Since I completed this rifle last winter I shot half a dozen coyotes with it. I've been very happy with its performance on coyotes. It left 5 of 6 DRT. The other ran about 75 yards and tipped over with a 6.8 MM hole through its lungs.

Thanks for the info guys. I should have the upper in my hands tonight. I also ordered an ar15performance.com 8 port adjustable MCD, another P.E.P.R mount, along with a VX-3 1.75-6x32 and some extra 5rd magazines.

I should be able to get it setup and have some range time with the SSA 100gr Accubonds this weekend. I'll share a report with my initial thoughts.

Last edited:
I would think that RRA Coyote Carbine would be fine. While it has a 10 twist barrel it also has a Spec II chamber and the chamber is the main thing that gives people pressure problems.

I have a Cardinal 16 inch midlength upper that I got a year ago and have never really shot much. But the little I have shot through it seems to be pretty accurate. My plan is to standardize it on one bullet weight and right now I’m leaning toward the 110 gr. PH loaded by SSA and use that load for coyotes and whitetail. But that’s dependent on how those shoot through it.

Back