re painting firearm with krylon spray paint?

Jonathan

I am just wondering what you all think I could use to remove krylon textured spray paint from my synthetic stock as I am not happy with the way it turned out?
thanks in advanced Jonathan

GEDC0258.jpg

Try again, the benefit of Krylon. If you still can't pull off one you like, go with a solid color and some webbing spray. I think the Fusion Technology they advertise would be hard to strip off plastic.

I was thinking the same thing,I wanted to strip the textured stuff off and try it again with non textured krylon camo as I believe it would be much more durable.... I am going to try some different paint strippers on small hidden places to see what works ...I was just hopeful that someone else has done this before and could offer some in site.
Thanks again ..........Jonathan..........

Anything that can pull apart the molecular bond that makes paint, is likely going to do the same thing with a synthetic stock. So soaking it all the way off can cause some problems. Some high grit sand paper should smooth out the textured part, then some flat black spray paint to give you a starting point would probably work well. If you want to try the chemical route I'd soak a rag and basically scrub the surface, basically sand it with paint thinner.

NdIndy,
I got it off,I used a green scrub pad for dishes and 3M Brand
(the safest stripper) and soaked for 15 min and scrubbed like heck and used warm soapy water to stop the chemical reaction
from eating through the synthetic stock!

Thanks for your help!
Now that I have it off I think I am going to re do it with regular non textured Krylon camo brand paint .....what would
you recommend for a top coat to reduce chipping and flaking?

Thanks again to all for there quick responses ....Jonathan...

You can buy spray can flat clear at lowes or any paint store, that works for me. ed [ps] just be sure the clear is enamel.

Thanks Ed, I did to but it was peeling off and looked like crap where the black was showing through! I want to do it again with Aluma hide but Brownells will not ship spray paint across the border! so I am going to have to find an alternative here!

Glad it's working out, sucks to have to restock something if you don't want to.

I used krylon matte clear coat on the last one I did, so far it hasn't chipped out. It doesn't exactly lead a charmed life either. All the others I've painted were single color and they went to auction immediately after. I didn't bother clearing them, no idea how the paint is holding up.

DSCF3104.jpg

(looks better in person)
smile.gif

I used a mix of fusion and basic camo colors, and I think some cheap wally world for at least 1 color. My partner has the exact same rifle still in factory black, we don't get them confused.

Advice on clear though, if you have some black plastic areas you want to stay black make sure you leave them masked until after you clear. I pulled mine from the checkered areas, figured the matte would cut down on a little glare. But it just gets a foggy look inside the checkering when its not on paint. In retrospect, for a prairie dog rifle a little glare doesn't matter, and camo is overkill. But I for sure know it's my rifle
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Nice work NdIndy, have Krylon'd several of mine, never bothered with the clear coat. If I scratch or flake them, I just touch them up more paint.

315jxg9.jpg

Last edited:
Jonathan, If you are having a problem with paint sticking to the composite stock, go to a local auto parts store and see if you can fine a rattle can of "Self Etching" primer and shoot it with that before painting with Krylon or any other paint...Just be sure to totally degrease the stock with alcohol or auto-prep before priming...

I use the OD green on mine and it works well as a base if you want...

204ARPrimed.jpg

Auto-Ordnance10mmRgt.jpg

And my most recent... The base for the stripes is the primer

ArmalitePaint2.jpg

Nice OT...When a guy changes colors on a rifle do you always strip the paint back off or can you just repaint over it? Example say fall colors and changing to a snow color.

Someone here recomended gun scrubber a while back to remove paint. It worked real well on my krylon paint job. Be careful though, it took the finish off of one of my scope caps.

Instead of Alumahide, try Duracoat. It comes in a bottle and needs to be sprayed on with a small HVLP gun or an airbrush. I just did my new coyete rig with it last weekend. Comes in tons of colors, gloss or flat, and it's tough as heck. Check it out at Lauer Custom Weaponry

Thread from the dead
smile.gif

Couple more rattle cans

AR.jpg

My pair of 25-06's. A 110 (OD) and a brand new owned it for 20 minutes before I pulled it apart to spray paint edge (desert tan)
laugh.gif

DSCF3386.jpg

Last edited:
Back