Muzzleloaders get in here!! Pellets vs. Loose Powder

Howdy All...

Question for ya...

My T/C 209x50 has delevoped quite a fondness for a .44 caliber 240 gr. Gold Dot bullet wrapped in a pretty green
sabot, pushed by two, 50 grain, 777 pellets. She shoots VERY well with this load!!

BUT... (you knew that was coming didn't you?
wink.gif
) I'm wondering if I can get a bit more punch out of this load by upping the charge just a bit. That said, I have tried a max load of three, 50 grain pellets and it wouldn't group for nothing. My guess is that somewhere between 100 and 150 grains is that "sweet spot". To find that, I'll need to switch to 777 in a loose powder.

I've heard that when you switch from pellets to loose powder, it doesn't cross over grain for grain... So... What is the equivilent (sp?) charge in loose powder for, let's say my "pet" load of (2) 50 grain pellets?

(Note: My current loading may be the best possible with that projectile... But I can't leave well enough alone. It can always get better!! Right?)

Last edited:
I didn't know there is a difference in weight going from loose powder to pellets?? I use 777 in my Omega. 100 grains of loose powder. My main reason is I'm cheep. I can get alot more shots out of a pound of powder than a box of pellets costing more or about the same price. Loose is more of a hassel than pellets, I just like it better. As to your question, I've never weighed pellets to see what they weigh. I guess I'm not much help.

What difference does it make your wanting to change the load anyway, Start with a 100grs by weight and keep adding until your happy.

Last edited:
Just get some 30 grain 777 pellets. My Encore really shines with 250/260 grain bullets (either Barnes TMZs or Dead Centers) over 130 grains of 777. I've worked with a couple other Encores that also did well with this charge.

Bear in mind that these weights are volume not actual gr.wts. 100 gr charge by vol. is only 71-73 gr. by weight.If you weighed 100gr of 777 and dumped it down the barrel you would be shooting around 130gr or a bit more by vol.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamJust get some 30 grain 777 pellets.

There is the ticket. Mix and match with the 50's and shoot in 10 grain increments. Personally the pellets are for convenience and if the 100 grain shoots well I would be satisfied.

If you really want good accuracy, switch to powder, and weigh each load. The pellets are NOT exactly the same in volume or weight. Good enough for hunting - will shoot minute of whitetail, but for real accuracy, you should weigh each charge. Most magnum loads dont give great accuracy. My encore shoots sweet at 80 grains, but depending on what stand I hunt, my bambi blaster load is 80 - 100 grains.

BTW: Powder is cheaper then pellets = more shooting dollars!

Good luck, and keep accurate records of your loads so you never have to repeat your 'experiments'.

kb

My vote is for loose. I'd go all the way to Blackhorn 209. With any loose I'd be in the 100-120 grains by volume. How do you start your woodstove? kindling or 2 big logs? What starts & burns fastest?

I prefer loose, that way I can adjust my charge. If not all the powder is burnt up ill reduce it some, same goes with accuracy, easier to adjust.

I shoot side lock rifles, not inlines so the pellets really dont work so hot anyway.

Dave

Back