Morning or Evening?

just depends on your area! only you can answer this question! are they more active at dusk or dawn. id try them both out until you see the most activity! this is where a trail cam works!
Ive heard old timers say there is a window of opertunity at about 8am until 12pm when deer walk too though

i am in the same boat as you right now!

good luck

I don't have a trail cam (yet!) so I guess I'm gonna have to personally put in the time. I really hope it ends up being evening.

Generally the best time to hunt is early morning and later in the evening. Deer's summer time patterns are normally evening because its getting cool and they will get up to feed about an hour or so before dark. Big bucks are naturally nocturnal and usually can only be caught during the pre-rut stages and then between does in the peak rut. Its also going to depend alot on the hunting preasure the land your hunting gets. ALWAYS play the wind if the wind isnt right then dont hunt that stand pick another because all your doing is teaching the deer new leasons in how to avoid you. This is very important in the early bow season because it's hot and we all sweat.

Originally Posted By: Terminator
seeing all of my big bucks during the night on my 4 trail cams, two on food plots.

I think most deer down here are moving late morning-early afternoon going to water and then at night. I went out the other morning and came out of the woods about 10:00-10:30. When I pulled up at the house a big doe and a fawn crossed the street right in front of the house going to the little waterhole in a small patch of woods next to my house.

Originally Posted By: Zack BeamOriginally Posted By: Terminator
seeing all of my big bucks during the night on my 4 trail cams, two on food plots.

I think most deer down here are moving late morning-early afternoon going to water and then at night. I went out the other morning and came out of the woods about 10:00-10:30. When I pulled up at the house a big doe and a fawn crossed the street right in front of the house going to the little waterhole in a small patch of woods next to my house.

im thinking the same here zack! its been 90 degrees all month! and its supposed to the rest of the week! im thinking they are getting up around 8ap and feeding and moving til 11am!

First am for me. If I could only hunt one of the two. Anytime of the season. Plus if you wack one, you have all day to track if need be, hopefully you wont need that amount of time LOL

Mark2

It also depends on what kind of deer you are after. (anything vs. mature buck) Early season I much prefer afternoons even though it's warmer then. Toward the end of October as the rut is kicking off I'll switch to mornings. During the rut all day can be good, but I LOVE mid-late morning. Gun season and after (post-rut) it's back to afternoon hunts for me. I've got 25 years of archery hunting under my belt and keep good notes. This general strategy produces year after year.

Originally Posted By: redeyeddawgIt also depends on what kind of deer you are after. (anything vs. mature buck) Early season I much prefer afternoons even though it's warmer then. Toward the end of October as the rut is kicking off I'll switch to mornings. During the rut all day can be good, but I LOVE mid-late morning. Gun season and after (post-rut) it's back to afternoon hunts for me. I've got 25 years of archery hunting under my belt and keep good notes. This general strategy produces year after year.

I'm a little behind you at 21 years with a bow, but I couldn't agree more. Early season I hunt afternoons between bedding and food sources. Late Oct/into Nov. rut hunt all day/or any time of day.

I like mornings best for having daylight to track and I'm not running out of hunting time because it is getting dark.

I usually see more deer mid morning than first light, and see many more deer from 8-10 than I do daylight to 8.

I have sat a lot from 10-2 and while I have seen deer, not nearly as many as mid morning or evening.

I always think I am going to see the big bucks I read about that were roaming in the middle of the day, but it never seems to happen.

I like mornings better than evenings because I can get to the stand well before light. In the evenings I have to be careful not to bump too many deer when sneaking into the stand. But I still go anytime I can because you can"t kill a deer if you are not in the stand.

Remember to keep the rising morning thermals in mind when you hunt a early morning setup. I love being in my stand early enough to watch the woods come alive.

Mark2

I've been bowhunting for 35 years and it's a 50/50 split. I seem to spook more deer in the morning but more always show up. I take 2 wks. vacation during the rut but coonhunt all night so am. is a little rough.

Back